Motor transport damaging bridges is nothing new.

Ray T

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Cor! Is that a Fowler showman's engine?                            

Could be, it has the brass Barley Twist canopy supports, but is not as decorated as the Showman's engines on display these days. It wold be interesting if the signage on the wagon was clear.

There is a really good gathering of steam engines and machinery on the 7/8th July = Chiltern Hills Traction Engine rally at Prestwood Bucks, well worth a visit......

6 hours ago, LEO said:

Could be, it has the brass Barley Twist canopy supports, but is not as decorated as the Showman's engines on display these days. It wold be interesting if the signage on the wagon was clear.

There is a really good gathering of steam engines and machinery on the 7/8th July = Chiltern Hills Traction Engine rally at Prestwood Bucks, well worth a visit......

Thanks for the tip, but it's rather far away from me. I have my eye on the Weeting Rally onJuly 21st or thereabouts, always lots of working exhibits and - being near Thetford - a number of Burrell engines.

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

I guarantee in the old days they would take the bricks/stone out of the cut to rebuild the bridge.

Now they just leave the detritus in there and blame the contactor when Nicknorman scrapes his 15mm baseplate.

Not neccessarily, when a car demolished part of Bradford-on-Avon Town Bridge a couple of years ago, they sent divers into the river to retrieve the lost masonary, which were reinstated to repair the bridge.

Sam old story innit. Bung some go fast stripes on yer Nova and stuff it in the ditch, couple of barley twist supports on yer engine, think you're Fangio and drive off a bridge.

30 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Perhaps I'm being overly pedantic, but it isn't a motor vehicle, it's a locomotive, according to the earliest classifications of powered road transport. 

Shock, horror, I'd better go and wear sack cloth and ashes. <_<

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Perhaps I'm being overly pedantic, but it isn't a motor vehicle, it's a locomotive, according to the earliest classifications of powered road transport. 

I don't know if definitions have changed over the years but the photograph shows a vehicle which, under current legislation,  is both a "locomotive" and a "motor vehicle", a "motor vehicle" being a specific definition which is more than just an engine with wheels attached.

George

Edited by furnessvale

This one fell in the Burgundy canal where I moor. Rumour  has it locally that it had wine and champagne as part of its load and as the accident happened on a Friday by Monday there was no evidence of any at all.

8A784368-E082-4C98-B722-19A906892016.jpeg