Continuous Cruising in Reading/Oxford

dharryman

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

The cruising part is easy. It's the mooring that is difficult. The oft-quoted 14 day mooring rule doesn't apply on the Thames. And what would you do when the river is in flood, i.e. running at 5mph or more and a metre higher than normal?

Cruise continuously probably, in the literal sense of the phrase!

15 hours ago, dharryman said:

Guess that means I’d be silly not having a punt on a bid for it then?

As others have said, go and look first. Some of the A21 moorings are ok moorings and close to the town centre, others really gutty and unpleasant and a long way out. None has any parking facilities anywhere near. 

The A34 flyover above some is not ideal, but not as noisy down there on the towpath as you would first imagine. 41ft is also restrictingly short. If you won it for that sort of rent money you'd probably still be able to sell it on at a worthwhile premium though.

But DO go and look. They are not to everyone's taste.

1 minute ago, dharryman said:

Thanks for the reply, I think I’ll have a pop down after work today. It doesn’t explicitly state that the mooring is transferable, I guess that makes it harder to sell on if we need to move at some point? 

The CRT listings usually have a draft of the mooring contract. If it doesn't specifically state it is transferrable then it isn't. In which case you definitely won't be able to sell it on. You'll just have to terminate the rental agreement when you've finished with it. 

So not harder to sell on, impossible to sell on!