What is this and where can I buy a replacement?

Amh300

Featured Posts

Hello, 

My first post on canalworld. This brass-looking cylindrical object sits directly under the fuel filter on my BMC 1.5l. It's position makes replacing the filter v difficult. Any idea what it is? Unfortunately, the tiny thread in the middle from which a wire heads off into the boat has sheared (the photo was taken before that happened). Anyone know where I can get a replacement? 

Many thanks!

DSC_0004.JPG

Oil pressure switch?

RWLP who uses this youth club will advise, although he's our resident Lister expert he has a BMC in his boat. 

He's probably packing up from Braunston and heading homewards today.

Yep, oil pressure sender, you'll need the oil pressure gauge to be matched to it or you'll get a false reading.

After you replace the filter always check that it has sealed properly by running the engine for a bit.

After you replace the filter always check that it has sealed properly by running the engine for a bit.

And as an added precaution as you tighten the centre bolt twist the filter a little to make sure you can feel/hear/sense metal sliding on rubber and not metal on metal as it would be it the filter was not aligned with the seal.

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

And as an added precaution as you tighten the centre bolt twist the filter a little to make sure you can feel/hear/sense metal sliding on rubber and not metal on metal as it would be it the filter was not aligned with the seal.

Is that a sender or a switch, Tony?

Thanks for your replies. Now that I know the right vocabulary I searched and it's a faria beede oil pressure sender. Does it have to be or can I replace it with a different make. As I mentioned, it's incredibly tight up against the bottom of the oil filter.

Its a sender for an electric oil pressure gauge and you will struggle to find an exact replacement.  The sender has to match the gauge in your control panel else readings will mean nothing.

Either replace with a new sender and gauge pair, or a capillary type gauge which will mean running the capillary pipe up to the control panel, or use an ordinary oil  pressure switch and put an oil warning light on the control panel instead.

17 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Its a sender for an electric oil pressure gauge and you will struggle to find an exact replacement.  The sender has to match the gauge in your control panel else readings will mean nothing.

Either replace with a new sender and gauge pair, or a capillary type gauge which will mean running the capillary pipe up to the control panel, or use an ordinary oil  pressure switch and put an oil warning light on the control panel instead.

Never mind all that. Just get a different boat... :giggles:

8 hours ago, RLWP said:

I was replying to Chopp's bit about the fuel filter potentially leaking.

It looks to me like  a sender, a switch is much smaller.

7 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Apart from very early Smiths instruments, some of which  used several bimetallic strips and things there are now two common sender standards. US and European. If the OP can identify his gauge then there is a good chance ASAP could supply the correct sender.

I have fairly successfully matched a replacement pressure sender to a gauge in an old Land Rover. The sender may either work with a diaphragm that changes a variable resistor wiper or, more commonly, it may mechanically change the mark/space ratio of a pulsing contact. The gauge I had used this second principle. The gauge sends a current (from 12v) into the sender which does two things. In the gauge, it heats a little element which causes the needle to move because it's attached to a bimetallic strip and in the sender it heats another element. The sender is arranged like a car indicator flash relay and starts "flashing" quietly thus pulsing the current on and off. Oil pressure moves a diaphragm in the sender which alters the flash contact position slightly and therefore changes the current's mark/space ratio. As oil pressure rises the current is more ON than OFF and the gauge needle moves further from zero to show this. The reverse happens for lower pressure. all very crude but simple! The pulsing is too fast for the slow response gauge so the needle doesn't "wobble" in time to the pulse.

I didn't have a sender for the L/R because I'd lost the original in my garage (very silly)! However new ones working this way are available from eg here or try an eBay search for "Oil Pressure Sender Land Rover". Your BMC engine probably uses Smiths gauges which should be compatible with these senders. I did a bit of calibration on my set up using an air line and a known correct air pressure gauge. To get it spot on I found I needed a small shunt resistor of about 100 ohms across the oil gauge.

The only other thing you'll need to get right is the pipe connection to the engine. I had to buy a thread size adaptor once I'd found what was needed. You may want to use a few other fittings anyway so that you can position the new sender out of the way of the filter.

Richard

That looks like an identical sender to the one I bought from Calcutts.

If your gauge is already a Farier, there's no need to buy a new gauge. My gauge is a Smiths, so I did buy both items, however, the Smiths gauge, with the Farier sender reads about what's expected. So I haven't rushed to change it out, however, I do need to take my switch panel off to repair one of the volt meters, so will swap the oil pressure gauge at the same time.

On my 1.5 the diesel filter sits on the back of the engine, so further away from the oil pressure sender. It's still difficult to replace the fuel filter though as the filter sits up against the bellhousing.

Rob

• 2 months later...
On 26/06/2018 at 07:53, RLWP said:

I think it has been answered, but it is a sender for a gauge, not a switch for a warning light.

They can fail fairly spectacularly, and p*ss oil out around the washer where the electrical connection is, but please don't ask me how I know this......

Closest I have ever come to running an engine with no oil in it.

On 11/09/2018 at 18:56, alan_fincher said:

I think it has been answered, but it is a sender for a gauge, not a switch for a warning light.

They can fail fairly spectacularly, and p*ss oil out around the washer where the electrical connection is, but please don't ask me how I know this......

Closest I have ever come to running an engine with no oil in it.

Ours is bubbling round the electrical connection... we need to replace it. What is the thread on the BMC 1.5 for the oil sender?