Tow path cycling

heyjude999

Featured Posts

Hi

Thinking of spending a few days around Thorne/Pollington and possibly further towards Castleford.

Are there any cycle paths and what are the tow paths like please in this area.

Looked on various cycling sites and not found anything of note so thinking cycling round there might not be good.

Thank you in advance.

11 hours ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Plenty of good cycling around there. The Trans Pennine Trail passes through Pollington, also a nice ride out to Sprotbrough. The towpath around Thorne is a bit rough, but perfectly cycleable in the dry, also good trail along New Junction Canal.

https://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/cyclists/map-for-cyclists/

Although from my memory you will have to contend with a lot of fishing poles obstructing the path. 

Edited to add its Thorne I'm talking about. 

Edited by pearley

13 minutes ago, pearley said:

It's not been too bad recently, although I had to smile a couple of weeks ago. Going through Thorne lock, there was a group of workers upgrading the towpath with gravel, when I came along one of the younger guys went to the end of the lock landing to move his fishing rod!!!

15 minutes ago, pearley said:

Although from my memory you will have to contend with a lot of fishing poles obstructing the path. 

Fishermen from other countries are also available!?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, pearley said:

If someone is significantly obstructing the towpath I like to helpfully point out they're breaking the bylaws. 

Had people get really irritated when I suggest I take photographs to let cart sort out (although in reality I doubt cart care much)

9 hours ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

It's not been too bad recently, although I had to smile a couple of weeks ago. Going through Thorne lock, there was a group of workers upgrading the towpath with gravel, when I came along one of the younger guys went to the end of the lock landing to move his fishing rod!!!

We spent a winter at Bluewater a few years ago. Coming down the lock in company with another boat we had trouble with the electrics so ended up emptying and refilling then emptying again. As I pulled over to the lock landing to pick up Jeannette an angler came running from the far end frantically pulling in his four lines and said "I didn't see you coming!" 

1 hour ago, jds_1981 said:

If someone is significantly obstructing the towpath I like to helpfully point out they're breaking the bylaws. 

Had people get really irritated when I suggest I take photographs to let cart sort out (although in reality I doubt cart care much)

Too long ago for Thorne now. 

1 hour ago, jds_1981 said:

Well that's pointing out the obvious. Tell that to the fishermen though who, consistently, block towpaths dangerously with their stupidly long poles all over the network.

13 hours ago, pete.i said:

Well that's pointing out the obvious. Tell that to the fishermen though who, consistently, block towpaths dangerously with their stupidly long poles all over the network.

I recently encountered an evening fisherman who had pitched a tent right across the towpath.  I do wonder how people can not even think this is silly.