Middle Levels - Temporary Mooring

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

On 27/06/2018 at 10:44, ditchcrawler said:

Maureen's husband I haven't seen for a while, he's ex-Royal Navy I think, pleased to hear that he's still flourishing.

We had the pleasure of meeting Rex when we locked though in May.

He mentioned to us that back in the day, he worked at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough.

When they purchased the lock and cottage, they where told they could fill the lock in if they wished - thankfully they never did.

We spent quite some time chatting - he has a very sunny disposition but his emphysema obviously makes working the lock very difficult.

We sorted ourselves out and found the tip tin ? 

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

The launderette is up for sale, The mooring at Glady Ducks is better

We did stop there for a about 10 minutes this morning, the reason why we didn't stop was because we didn't trust stepping off on the wood. The mooring did look it hadn't been used for a while, and mooring sign can easily be missed behind the undergrowth. Also wasn't too sure if we could stretched over the mooring planks to knock pins in the bank. In the end we continued on to Salter's Lode/Lock where there's just enough mooring for two boats. 

There were a few areas where oil was floating about. Not sure how much due to how oil is deceptive. The oil was just before we reached Glady Ducks.

3 hours ago, erivers said:

It has been mentioned here how Well Creek was saved for navigation after a public inquiry into Norfolk County Council's plans to fill it in back in 1970.

2033726286_025aFenatic_Upwell291072(002).jpg.5b694a56d5b59317d8a0d9c796954870.jpg

Here's a picture from 1972 showing volunteers starting their clearance work:

Thank you so much for posting this photo, which I find absolutely fascinating. The white building is the Riverside garage, which still more or less stands, though dilapidated, and now as then is owned by Tony Moss (who has just seen the photo and given me a resumé of the area's history), though he retired last year so it's now closed. The house peeping up behind it is what's now Russell's butchers, though it was then owned by the Sutton family who had a large shop further along the lane and who operated a hairdresser's in what is now the butcher's shop. The next house along is now ours. No nicely-tended front gardens and landing stages in those days, I notice!

I had not seen the picture before. Are they using some sort of nets?

7 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

We did stop there for a about 10 minutes this morning, the reason why we didn't stop was because we didn't trust stepping off on the wood. The mooring did look it hadn't been used for a while, and mooring sign can easily be missed behind the undergrowth. Also wasn't too sure if we could stretched over the mooring planks to knock pins in the bank. In the end we continued on to Salter's Lode/Lock where there's just enough mooring for two boats. 

There were a few areas where oil was floating about. Not sure how much due to how oil is deceptive. The oil was just before we reached Glady Ducks.

Forgotten I'd taken a pic of the mooring

28-5.jpg

8 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

The mooring at Glady Ducks is better

Can I ask where this is please?

I remember seeing it and thinking it looked rather rickety, but can’t now find it on our map.

On 25/06/2018 at 07:30, Athy said:

I think the mooring restriction sign in March, with its threat of draconian penalties, may have been introduced because a few boats have (or had) spent weeks or months on the town moorings, during which time one boater allegedly made such a nuisance of himself that he was banned from shops in the town.

That said, I don't know who (if anybody) enforces the time limits.

The first penalty notice has been issued to the  springer (NBTA member) moored by the library mound. This one has been moored in the town for months. All the others have gone at long last.  

Edited by nbfiresprite

13 minutes ago, gbclive said:

I remember seeing it and thinking it looked rather rickety, but can’t now find it on our map.

If its on the middle level, the commssioners will soon be able to do it up with the new licence fee funds:)

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Athy said:

I had not seen the picture before. Are they using some sort of nets?

Looks like the sort of matting used to soak up a oil spill

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

Forgotten I'd taken a pic of the mooring

28-5.jpg

Not been up that way since 2014, Someone nicked the the mooring rings. It is in a bit of a state not like the Well Creek Trust let things slide.

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Looks like the sort of matting used to soak up a oil spill

Not been up that way since 2014, Someone nicked the the mooring rings. It is in a bit of a state not like the Well Creek Trust let things slide.

Suppose if you knew this mooring, and had been there before, but for someone new it's a bit of a gamble, would it take our weight or not? Then what to tie up too?

Friends of the River Nene have a good system, it would be great if something similar could be done.

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

Friends of the River Nene have a good system, it would be great if something similar could be done.

They have some great moorings. Think GOBA do something similar on the Gt Ouse. 

46 minutes ago, gbclive said:

It's about an hour away from Salter's Lode.

Just now, rusty69 said:

They have some great moorings. Think GOBA do something similar on the Gt Ouse. 

Think they do, will be testing them out in a day or so ?

24 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If its on the middle level, the commssioners will soon be able to do it up with the new licence fee funds:)

Thanks for that Rusty? - but in the mean time where abouts is it?

I remember seeing it on the eastern part of the route when heading towards Salters Load and the Ouse.

I’d like to to keep it as a possible back up when we return next month.

Perhaps using our boarding plank to spread my considerable weight across the dodgy planks?

(If my posts dry up you will know this masterful plan failed?)

10 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

It's about an hour away from Salter's Lode.

Thanks Jennifer ?

26 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Not as cheap as fotrn though. 

We have enjoyed countless GOBA moorings over the last 6 weeks or so on the Great Ouse and will shortly be trying some on the Cam.

GOBA have many more moorings than FOTRN, so still brilliant value, as is FOTRN.

Joining both organisations is a complete “no brainer” if cruising the Nene or the Great Ouse and it’s tributaries.

it’s probably worked out less than a pound per night for the privlage of using some very beautiful and often remote moorings.

I salute them both ?

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

There's a new GOBA mooring on the Cam, just opened.  On the right about half way between Clayhithe and Horningsea.

Thanks Simon - I can’t see that one marked yet on the GOBA google earth overlay, so that’s very helpful.

8 hours ago, gbclive said:

Thanks Simon - I can’t see that one marked yet on the GOBA google earth overlay, so that’s very helpful.

I've reported that to Mike.  I prefer the mooring at Waterbeach, on the right just above Bottisham lock. You can see very clearly why the village has that name, the level of the land comes up about ten feet and normal landscape (including things that could be described as hills) starts.

• 1 month later...

The period of grace to ensure that mooring users were well aware of the new initiative is  now over and  fines will inposed from the 30th July 2018.  Overstaying notices were being issued in this grace period, but without the fines in this time period.

On 27/06/2018 at 08:02, Athy said:

There is a launderette in March. We've used it! There's also a public staithe at Nordelph on the way to Salter's Lode.

We moored there for lunch in 2015 with the stern line tied to a ring on the landing stage and the front you a tree. The drag from the next couple of boats coming up from Salter's Lode pulled the ring out, Plank and all. If was only secured with 4 inch nails so I simply hammered it back into place. 

Filled water at Upwell and donated my key money to the Trust as they obviously needed it. 

1 hour ago, nbfiresprite said:

The period of grace to ensure that mooring users were well aware of the new initiative is  now over and  fines will inposed from the 30th July 2018.  Overstaying notices were being issued in this grace period, but without the fines in this time period.

No, not FINES.  Fines require legislation approved by the Parliament or byelaws approved by the Secretary of State, not an "initiative".

Civil Penalty charge notices may be issued.

13 minutes ago, erivers said:

No, not FINES.  Fines require legislation approved by the Parliament or byelaws approved by the Secretary of State, not an "initiative".

Civil Penalty charge notices may be issued.

Fines is the word used by Leisure Services at Fenland Council is their email to me. For that is how Joe Public will see it. To them it is a fine.  They are some who have been posting on fakebook that these charges can not be inforced and tell people not to pay them. Are you one of them?

Edited by nbfiresprite

16 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Fines is the word used by Leisure Services at Fenland Council is their email to me. For that is how Joe Public will see it. To them it is a fine.  They are some who have been posting on fakebook that these charges can not be inforced and tell people not to pay them. Are you one of them?

No, no.  Quite the opposite.  I support Fenland District Council's long overdue 'initiative'.  However, to pretend it is something it is not will not be helpful to its succeeding in the long run.  Unlike on the EA Anglian Waterways (such as at Ely) where there is prior over-riding legislation which prevents councils acquiring such powers, there is no reason why Fenland District Council should not make and seek approval for appropriate byelaws imposing fines for overstaying if it thought it necessary (and if it had the balls to do so!)