Middle Levels - Temporary Mooring

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

He mentioned something about them saving that lock as the authorities wanted to fill it in during the 60s.

Well Creek in the 1960s was apparently pretty much moribund (I've seen a photo of it covered in what appears to be thick green slime or weed). I don't think there was a question of filling the lock in, as Well Creek, though a canalised natural river unlike some of the other waterways in the area such as the Sixteen Foot Drain and Popham's Eau, is an integral part of the Fenland drainage network. I'm hazy about dates, but local organisation the Well Creek Trust played a large part in restoring it to navigable standard, and I suspect Fox's were involved too.

9 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

We are hoping to do Wissey, Little Ouse and Lark before we spend a few days in a marina at Huntingdon - but today's extra trip down the Relief Channel (and a lengthy boat clean) means we are not sure where we will be!

Surprised that we have enjoyed the Relief Channel - with no flow the pontoons are well known water amenity sites (ie places to jump in or launch canoes from) We will be back up through the lock tomorrow. Enjoy the crossing from Salters Lode - when are you booked? Mind you, when we rang two days ahead we were told just to turn up when we wanted to. OTOH, ringing is he easiest way to find out the passage times! Coming back is probably the trickier.

A local boater had suggested that it is best to get a weekend mooring ahead of time as it is likely to be busy . . . come back rain, all is forgiven.

Thanks for the tips Mike. So the moorings are scarce? We joined GOBA to hopefully make use of their moorings. Marinas look to be rather expensive to what we're used to. We've got a three day mooring in a fortnight's time on the Lark for £20 a night, so obviously we'll be looking for riverbank mooring spots.

On 25/06/2018 at 14:09, Athy said:

The lowest points of the Fens are in Cambridgeshire, up (or down) to 10 feet below sea level.

The fens..... Lowest place in the country. No launderettes, no 4g no moorings:)

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Well Creek in the 1960s was apparently pretty much moribund (I've seen a photo of it covered in what appears to be thick green slime or weed). I don't think there was a question of filling the lock in, as Well Creek, though a canalised natural river unlike some of the other waterways in the area such as the Sixteen Foot Drain and Popham's Eau, is an integral part of the Fenland drainage network. I'm hazy about dates, but local organisation the Well Creek Trust played a large part in restoring it to navigable standard, and I suspect Fox's were involved too.

?

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The fens..... Lowest place in the country. No launderettes, no 4g no moorings:)

? and no digital TV signal.

2 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

?

? and no digital TV signal.

It sounds like a terrible place. When you get back to civilization, they will say:-

"And every one said, 'How tall they've grown!' For they've been to the Lakes, and the Torrible Zone,. And the hills of the Chankly Bore;" 

There is a launderette in March. We've used it! There's also a public staithe at Nordelph on the way to Salter's Lode.

I think Well Creek declined towards disuse after the Wisbech Canal (which provided access to the port of Wisbech) closed. It used to join Well Creek on the outside of the sharp bend of Outwell basin. Those so inclined can, with a bit of trampling through the undergrowth, find the remains of the first lock a few yards away from the basin. The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway used to cross the river here on a bridge until its closure in 1966; the row of modern houses on the right of the basin is called 'Tramways' and one of the line's original station buildings survives in one of the back gardens. A proper little commercial transport hub, Outwell was in its day.

Edited by Athy

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It sounds like a terrible place. When you get back to civilization, they will say:-

"And every one said, 'How tall they've grown!' For they've been to the Lakes, and the Torrible Zone,. And the hills of the Chankly Bore;" 

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---

What a great poem that is - how to inspire a kiddies imagination. Thanks for the reminder. 

Yes it's a 'terrible' place is the Middle Levels..... looking forwards already to our passage back ?

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Athy said:

There is a launderette in March. We've used it! There's also a public staithe at Nordelph on the way to Salter's Lode.

I think Well Creek declined towards disuse after the Wisbech Canal (which provided access to the port of Wisbech) closed. It used to join Well Creek on the outside of the sharp bend of Outwell basin. Those so inclined can, with a bit of trampling through the undergrowth, find the remains of the first lock a few yards away from the basin. The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway used to cross the river here on a bridge until its closure in 1966; the row of modern houses on the right of the basin is called 'Tramways' and one of the line's original station buildings survives in one of the back gardens. A proper little commercial transport hub, Outwell was in its day.

There is lots of info about the railway if you look for it

11 hours ago, Athy said:

Maureen's husband I haven't seen for a while, he's ex-Royal Navy I think, pleased to hear that he's still flourishing.

When I left the ML he had just come home from a long stay in hospital, I think cancer was mentioned but not 100% sure now.

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

There is lots of info about the railway if you look for it

Yes indeed - I have at least two, possibly three, books about it. Cor, wot an anorak I can be.

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Thanks for the tips Mike. So the moorings are scarce? We joined GOBA to hopefully make use of their moorings. Marinas look to be rather expensive to what we're used to. We've got a three day mooring in a fortnight's time on the Lark for £20 a night, so obviously we'll be looking for riverbank mooring spots.

Partly that you ave to get used to not being able to stop pretty much whenever you wish, as on the canals. Most moorings are short so it is possible to arrive and find them full - where we are at the moment, Downham Market, there is room for four - the three that we left here yesterday lunch time are still here as I write (just stopping on the way back up the Relief Channel) and I suspect at least two are not leaving today (LTRU)

The marinas and the online moorings are full mainly with cruisers and they do seem to be used for weekend outings quite a bit. I suspect it also depends on whereabouts you are. Down the Refilef Channel - very pleased we ventured this way - there are two other moorings and both were totally empty and we saw no other moving or non-moving traffic below Downham Market. Those two pontoons were, however, very popular late afternoon, early evening, hot sunshine, with families and youngsters. All very good humoured.

My recollection from 8 years ago, the only other time we have been here and that was only on the main routes to Bedford and Cambridge, is that you do have to plan carefully and that it is well worth joining GOBA, but we never ended up with an 'unofficial' mooring overnight. As with many other rivers, the banks generally are not suitable for mooring unless you are very 'adventurous'.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes indeed - I have at least two, possibly three, books about it. Cor, wot an anorak I can be.

Yes, I found quite a bit online but chatting to a long term local (not a boater AFAIK) filled in quite a lot of additional info!

Also, looking at the old OS maps, it is interesting to see just how many lines there were (including the tramway) into Wisbech, along with the now missing, canal. And now there are no services to Wisbech although I was told that there are occasional attempts to re-open the one line that still has tracks most of the way. OTOH, Kings Lynn has a electrified line.

17 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Downham Market, there is room for four - the three that we left here yesterday lunch time are still here as I write (just stopping on the way back up the Relief Channel) and I suspect at least two are not leaving today (LTRU)

Also, looking at the old OS maps, it is interesting to see just how many lines there were (including the tramway) into Wisbech, along with the now missing, canal. And now there are no services to Wisbech although I was told that there are occasional attempts to re-open the one line that still has tracks most of the way. 

Is the large floating shed thing one of them? It was there a few months ago and I think it went away and came back. I seem to remember it being for sale at one time.

There are spasmodic attempts to reopen the Wisbech to March route, known as the "Bramley Line". They even acquired some ex-Gatwick Express carriages which were parked in the sidings at March but they've gone now. Personally, much as I love railways, I can't see the appeal of reopening a five-mile, straight, flat railway, unless it's for commuters as well as for tourists.

40 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

When I left the ML he had just come home from a long stay in hospital, I think cancer was mentioned but not 100% sure now.

Yes, he mentioned the cancer, and he also said he has emphysema - to his great credit he looked a cheerful chap. 

On 27/06/2018 at 07:41, Athy said:

Well Creek was to have been fiiled and replaced with a pipe to take the surface runoff, So to allow the road to be widened and inproved. As was the case with the Wisbich canal. The council at the time changed it's mind when the ruling party become fully aware that it was a vote loser and seats were in danger. So the only thing done was the replacement of the Five Bells bridge.   

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Athy said:

Is the large floating shed thing one of them? It was there a few months ago and I think it went away and came back. I seem to remember it being for sale at one time.

There are spasmodic attempts to reopen the Wisbech to March route, known as the "Bramley Line". They even acquired some ex-Gatwick Express carriages which were parked in the sidings at March but they've gone now. Personally, much as I love railways, I can't see the appeal of reopening a five-mile, straight, flat railway, unless it's for commuters as well as for tourists.

https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport-funding-bids-and-studies/railway-between-march-and-wisbech/

18 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Well Creek was to have been fiiled and replaced with a pipe to take the surface runoff, So to allow the road to be widened and inproved. As was the case with the Wisbich canal. The council at the time changed it's mind when the the ruling party become fully aware that it was a vote loser and seats were in danger. So the only thing done was the replacement of the Five Bells bridge.   

Thank you for that information. It wouldn't have enhanced the appeal of Upwell and Outwell: twin villages where old houses face each other over a water pipe.

I'm pleases to see Cambs. Council taking an interest in the Bramley Line, though I suspect that nothing will happen until the Magic Money Fairy appears and waves its wand. I joined the Bramley Line preservation society shortly after we moved here, but resigned after they sent members a request to donate £100 each immediately, insinuating that anyone who didn't was not fit to touch the hem of their garment. 

Edited by Athy

On 27/06/2018 at 08:02, Athy said:

The launderette is up for sale, The mooring at Glady Ducks is better

glady dacks.jpg

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thank you for that information. It wouldn't have enhanced the appeal of Upwell and Outwell: twin villages where old houses face each other over a water pipe.

You still have the 44 tonners rushing through, Some of which fall in.  

2 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

You still have the 44 tonners rushing through, Some of which fall in.  

Not usually through the village centre, they're supposed to go round the edge on the main road and most of them do. The exceptions are those which have bona fide local business, such as Robinson's potato lorries.

The only thing I've heard of which fell in since we've lived here (11 years) was Ron's Land Rover.

5 minutes ago, erivers said:

Artic in Well Creek - October 2017

Ah, that explains it - we were in Spain that week so we didn't hear about it.

The odd thing is that Heygate's are a well known local firm (of flour traders I think), so their drivers should be familiar with the roads.

It has been mentioned here how Well Creek was saved for navigation after a public inquiry into Norfolk County Council's plans to fill it in back in 1970.

2033726286_025aFenatic_Upwell291072(002).jpg.5b694a56d5b59317d8a0d9c796954870.jpg

Here's a picture from 1972 showing volunteers starting their clearance work:

• Greenie 1