fire-hose

fittie

Featured Posts

You get different types of fire hose so I'd guess it would depend on how heavy it was. The stuff The Fire Brigade use - prolly not. If you put any thing too heavy in your (front loading) washing machine it just won't allow the drum to turn and in an old model could burn out the motor. The bits at either end of the hose (the scooshie bits) might dent the drum. I think I've talked myself out of it, how about you?

If it's a lighter weight or in smaller strips then it might work. :unsure:

7 hours ago, fittie said:

Can you wash fire-hose in the washing machine?

Any thoughts?

It is a lot faster to clean a piece of fire hose 'belting' with a scrubbing brush, and it should come up whiter without detergent.

When my son came to Braunston today he brought with him two reels of fire hose, bought by me about twenty years ago from his junior school. It is surprising where you find these bits and bobs :captain:

16 hours ago, fittie said:

Can you wash fire-hose in the washing machine?

Any thoughts?

As I  have learnt through experience elderly firehose tends to disintegrate in a washing machine.  Similarly scrubbing the hose in the traditional manner can also severely fray old hose.

I cheat and use a diluted white emulsion paint which does the job and doesn't clog the fibres.  It acts just like blanco, which these days is not so easy to buy.

22 minutes ago, mark99 said:

<Snip>

ergo poster is of a certain generation.

;)

I should add, perhaps, that I was too young for National Service, but blanco was still readily available when I was a boy. It was very good for whitening plimsoles. ?.