Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, Peter X said:

Especially one featuring the boy wonder that is Kylian Mbappe?

Not forgetting the 'old masters' like Luka Modric...

He can play a bit too. France are the favourites, but then I imagine England were for the semi final. A lot of underdogs have won games in this World Cup.

Forth it is then. The heart wasn't in today's game. Although they'll say it was. Belgium wanted it more. 

Role on the Premier League. 

I felt it was a poor performance today, very slow attacking which let Belgium get 7 or 8 players quickly back in defence. Where as Belgium broke at great speed and reaped the rewards.

A shame that England ended a superb run with a defeat but do you not think the English press put too much pressure on the team? Even before they went out there, the press (and on here) were all about how they could win and when the tournament started the pressure seemed to get higher and higher. And what was all this "it's coming home" about? Apart from England winning it many years ago this is no more it's home than many other nations.

Being neutral, I could enjoy the games I saw no matter who was playing.

haggis

• Happy 1

49 minutes ago, haggis said:

A shame that England ended a superb run with a defeat but do you not think the English press put too much pressure on the team? Even before they went out there, the press (and on here) were all about how they could win and when the tournament started the pressure seemed to get higher and higher. And what was all this "it's coming home" about? Apart from England winning it many years ago this is no more it's home than many other nations.

Being neutral, I could enjoy the games I saw no matter who was playing.

haggis

'Football coming home' is rooted in the (disputed) fact that football as it's known now originated in England.

So for it to come home means if we had won 'it' was coming back to the country where it first started.

26 minutes ago, MJG said:

'Football coming home' is rooted in the (disputed) fact that football as it's known now originated in England.

So for it to come home means if we had won 'it' was coming back to the country where it first started.

Oh. I thought the "it" was the cup and not the game. 

Haggis 

On 12/07/2018 at 09:14, David Schweizer said:

I live in hope that England loosing will be the end of the blanket media coverage, but it won't be. We will now be subjected to hours of amalysis  by semi literate "experts" all seeking to justify how we were "robbed".

Well I have been half listening to the Wimbledon semi-finals this afternoon whilst doing other things, and the semi literate "expert" seems to have infiltrated even this bastion of the English establishment. Can anyone understand anything that Boris Becker says? Not only is his diction and pronounciation apalling, but when it can be deciphered. he talks in only half completed sentences, which are completely unintelligible. Yesterday we had John Mcenroe and John Inverdale who demonstrated how commentary should be done.

Edited by David Schweizer

43 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Well I have been half listening to the Wimbledon semi-finals this afternoon whilst doing other things, and the semi literate "expert" seems to have infiltrated even this bastion of the English establishment. Can anyone understand anything that Boris Becker says? Not only is his diction and pronounciation apalling, but when it can be deciphered. he talks in only half completed sentences, which are completely unintelligible. Yesterday we had John Mcenroe and John Inverdale who demonstrated how commentary should be done.

I think the fact that English is not Boris Beckers first language (he is German, I believe) may have something to do with it. I must admit I can understand him as well as I can John McEnroe :-) 

There have been some great tennis matches in the last few days.

Haggis

Edited by haggis

I hear all this stuff about our great young inexperienced side (who each earn a fortune - for being inexperienced!) but they never ever look sharp in front of goal. Belgium's one touch passing left our defence flat footed whilst when in the vicinity of goal it seems our players have to either get the ball on the right foot before crossing or they run around in circles and achieve little. Sorry not impressed.

1 hour ago, Traveller said:

I hear all this stuff about our great young inexperienced side (who each earn a fortune - for being inexperienced!) but they never ever look sharp in front of goal. Belgium's one touch passing left our defence flat footed whilst when in the vicinity of goal it seems our players have to either get the ball on the right foot before crossing or they run around in circles and achieve little. Sorry not impressed.

Just for the record they don't get paid for playing for their country.

Well actually yes they do but it's an unwritten agreement that their fee is donated to a footballing related charity.

The opportunity to represent their country is sufficient, and of course they don't really need the money.

To say we're not football fans would be an understatement, but we both take an interest in our national team, mainly because it does mean so much to national morale when they do well. With Brexit casting a stupid cloud over our country we needed something to lift our spirits, and I do believe our team did that.

Interestingly we're in France at the moment, if England were in the final they'd be flags waving everywhere but here we see very few French flags from houses or cars. I'm sure the French are behind their team as much as we would be but don't feel the need to fly their national flag from every window, car and fence to prove it.

Not trying to make any particular point, just an observation.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Ange said:

To say we're not football fans would be an understatement, but we both take an interest in our national team, mainly because it does mean so much to national morale when they do well. With Brexit casting a stupid cloud over our country we needed something to lift our spirits, and I do believe our team did that.

Interestingly we're in France at the moment, if England were in the final they'd be flags waving everywhere but here we see very few French flags from houses or cars. I'm sure the French are behind their team as much as we would be but don't feel the need to fly their national flag from every window, car and fence to prove it.

Not trying to make any particular point, just an observation.

I think though that France are pretty ok with flying their flag at times other than football competitions, it's often seen in town squares or flown from the local town hall. For whatever reason we don't see England's flag flown in the same way out of the time of big football competitions.

Unfortunately the cross of st George has been misappropriated by the far right of late so we see it less commonly day to day for fear of being associated with the likes of EDL if you fly it.

I think it comes out at the times of the footy almost by way of a statement of not being associated with that, just supporting the team, so lots do it.

The "inexperience" of the England players is a relative thing. They are one of the youngest squads at this World Cup, and the commentators today mentioned that the Belgian team have three times as many caps between them, but our players all have a few seasons of top level football behind them. The market forces of the Premier League mean that they're very well paid, because the value of success on the pitch for their clubs is immense, especially the TV rights fees. In that sense players actually are worth the seemingly crazy money clubs pay for transfers and in wages. There were protests recently when Juventus paid Real Madrid £99m for Cristiano Ronaldo, a great player but at 33 coming towards the end of his best years, but their calculation will be that if having him means they qualify for the lucrative Champions League reliably for the next few years, he'll be worth it. I wonder whether Real Madrid are saving up to buy Mbappe as his replacement; I shudder to think how much Paris St Germain would want for him.

A measure of the money sloshing around in football is that it was said today that if England won the 3rd place, the FA would get £18m for that.

Apparently £29m for the winning nation, £21m for the runners up.

WINNERS - £29m

RUNNERS-UP - £21m

THIRD - £18.1m

FOURTH - £16.6m

QUARTER-FINALISTS - £13.5m

LAST-16 - £9m

GROUP STAGE - £6m

TOTAL POT - £302m

8 hours ago, MJG said:

Just for the record they don't get paid for playing for their country.

Well actually yes they do but it's an unwritten agreement that their fee is donated to a footballing related charity.

The opportunity to represent their country is sufficient, and of course they don't really need the money.

Accepted, my point really is there are those who call them young and experienced yet the wages they get from their clubs suggests otherwise. In any event I do not see this team as being any more special that any other English team in that they look just as flat footed compared to others, and especially so when in front of goal. Credit re their behaviour though - that was exemplary.

Edited by Traveller

12 hours ago, haggis said:

I think the fact that English is not Boris Beckers first language (he is German, I believe) may have something to do with it. I must admit I can understand him as well as I can John McEnroe 🙂

There have been some great tennis matches in the last few days.

Haggis

Well yes it has quite a lot to do with it, but why is the BBC employing someone who's diction is so poor with little grasp on English vocabulary, or grammar to commentate on a UK television sport event? And why does he talk over the Umpire's announcements? most other commentators seem to pause, and resume once the announcement has finished.

Edited by David Schweizer

Well done France (but you didn't deserve it!)

22 minutes ago, dogless said:

As I understand it...

France scored 4 times, and Croatia 2.

I think they did.

Rog

Actually if you are going to be nitpicky about it Croatia actually scored 3, they actually scored one for France.

The point being made was that they won completely against the run of play, possession percentage , and chances created. And without the help of a blind referee who gave one of the worst penalty decisions in world cup history France would have struggled.

I think Croatia can feel a bit hard done by, because both the free kick from which France scored their first goal and the penalty for the second were dodgy decisions, and if they'd been 1-0 up at half time maybe the second half would have gone very differently. It felt right that Luca Modric won the award for player of the tournament. But France were pretty worthy winners of the trophy, considering the teams they beat to get to the final and the quality they showed for much of the match. Possession percentage is unimportant, because some teams (e.g. Spain in this tournament) pass the ball around their own half and midfield a lot to no great effect, while others (e.g. England most of the time and France in this match) are always looking to get forward and create an attack, so do better than their posssession figures would suggest.

Thanks to Rob-M's research, I see that the FA's gain from winning the 3rd place match would have been £1.5m. That is roughly what the 23-man England squad earn from their clubs per week (before tax).

Shouldn't Harry Kane have hung around in Russia another day to turn up at the Luzhniki to collect his golden boot award in person? I'm sure FIFA would have found him a ticket for the match from somewhere.

1 hour ago, MJG said:

Actually if you are going to be nitpicky about it Croatia actually scored 3, they actually scored one for France.

The point being made was that they won completely against the run of play, possession percentage , and chances created. And without the help of a blind referee who gave one of the worst penalty decisions in world cup history France would have struggled.

The point you made was that France "Didn't deserve it".

France won.

You may feel Croatia were the better team and were robbed, but clearly France won.

Just saying.

Rog

10 minutes ago, dogless said:

The point you made was that France "Didn't deserve it".

France won.

You may feel Croatia were the better team and were robbed, but clearly France won.

Just saying.

Rog

Yes Rog. I know France won. I didnt actually say otherwise.

You can win a football game by not really actually deserving to win it. The team that deserved to win it is the one that as you managed to point out was the better team.

The statement I made is clearly too complex for you.