Hay fever

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

I do not suffer with hay fever but have been told by others that do that one of the best remedies is to take honey which is produced in the area that you frequent in other words honey from local bees.  I was told the theory of it but have since forgotten though I am assured it is very effective.

21 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I just had a read through this. It shows me why it’s good to be wary of medical advice from non-experts. Some good tips there to avoid contact with pollen though such as water sprays. 

Has anyone used an air purifier? Did it work?

The pollen levels are particularly high at the moment, so much so its even reserected my previously dormant pollen allergy.

I can't recom end any so called "natural" remedies. I just use cetrizine. One a day. Works for me.

12 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Does anyone have any good advice? My hay fever is worse than ever at the moment. I’m thinking of getting a portable air purifier to keep pollen levels down in my boat. 

If the air purifier actually works, then this is a solution. I've worked at several places that had cleanrooms with proper HEPA filters that will take out all the pollen and dust. Would retreat there as much as I could get away with when badly affected. They filtered all the air going in to the cleanroom area, with no other air getting in. The rooms were at a positive pressure compared with the rest of the building, so even opening a door wouldn't lead to unfiltered air getting in. Used air was let out via controlled vents. Questions to ask: What particle size does a portable filter go down to? How does this compare with pollen size? How long do the filters last before getting chocked? How much air can it process a minute? How does that compare with the size of cabin and the number and area of fixed high and low level vents and the number and size of windows and hatches you have open in hot weather? I have my doubts that a portable purifier could have much effect and not be overwhelmed by the volume of pollen laden air passing through the cabin.

I do understand what it is like. These days I stick to the no prescription generic anti hayfever drugs. Cheap and they work for me. Homeopathic stuff has no side effects, because they have no actual effects other than the placebo one.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

My significant other swears by HayMax ... its a Vaseline like gel that you dab inside the nose and it traps the pollen - whether it's in the mind or not it seems to work

On 24/06/2018 at 10:30, John Brightley said:

Try Pollinosan tablets.

https://www.avogel.co.uk/herbal-remedies/hayfever-tablets-pollinosan/

I've been using them for years and find them brilliant. Homeopathic with no side effects.

Sorry to dissapoint, they are not homepathic they are herbal ... almost complete opposites!

9 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

If all the over-the-counter stuff fails, go see your doctor and ask him/her to consider prescribing beclametasone

You don't need a presciption for beclomethasone nasal sparay ... you can buy it as beconase .... fluticasone is probably slightly better as it is once a day not twice. It takes a few days to build up to full effect so give it a good try and carry on taking your one a day non drowsy  anti histamine as well,

Edited by NickF

6 hours ago, NickF said:

Sorry to dissapoint, they are not homepathic they are herbal ... almost complete opposites!

You don't need a presciption for beclomethasone nasal sparay ... you can buy it as beconase .... fluticasone is probably slightly better as it is once a day not twice. It takes a few days to build up to full effect so give it a good try and carry on taking your one a day non drowsy  anti histamine as well,

The web page says it’s homeopathic. Most homeopathic treatments have a herbal origin. 

8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

The web page says it’s homeopathic. Most homeopathic treatments have a herbal origin. 

That's interesting .. it does indeed, I was surprised by the long list of herbs and thought they actually were ingredients ... 

I am afraid as a scientist i really struggle with the concept of homeopathy but I accept that is my opinion....... if it works for you stick with it!

7 minutes ago, NickF said:

That's interesting .. it does indeed, I was surprised by the long list of herbs and thought they actually were ingredients ... 

I am afraid as a scientist i really struggle with the concept of homeopathy but I accept that is my opinion....... if it works for you stick with it!

I am with you but the power of placebo is remarkable

14 hours ago, NickF said:

What I cant understand is why vets use it on animals where obviously placebo don't come into it. Me I don't buy into it.