Flat tyre, again, and again....

Featured Posts

well, that applied to the 26" tube,

I have yet to get the  28"x 45c  , aka 700x40 which is flat, off the wheel, of course it is the rear wheel, with all the black dirty grease that that entails.

29 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

THE TUBE ISN'T PUNCTURED! 

... just in case someone else doesn't read the whole thread. 

Not necessarily the case.  Just because you can't find the puncture doesn't mean there isn't one.  With my first and second flats I couldn't find anything.  No hiss on inflating it, no bubbles in water.  It was only the third one that showed the bubbles which on re-checking the 2nd flat (the first had been thrown away) that the bubbles were sure enough there - very very slow but there.

2 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

THE TUBE ISN'T PUNCTURED! 

... just in case someone else doesn't read the whole thread. 

The evidence suggests there is a puncture, despite the OP asserting there is no puncture. 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The evidence suggests there is a puncture, despite the OP asserting there is no puncture. 

Master of the bleedin obvious states the bleedin obvious...

19 hours ago, JJPHG said:

Not necessarily the case.  Just because you can't find the puncture doesn't mean there isn't one.  With my first and second flats I couldn't find anything.  No hiss on inflating it, no bubbles in water.  It was only the third one that showed the bubbles which on re-checking the 2nd flat (the first had been thrown away) that the bubbles were sure enough there - very very slow but there.

yes, but it  is still inflated , where I left it three or more days ago, and I went round it several times in the washup bowl.

UPDATE

VAN

As my van has stopped working .............. it may be out of fuel in spite of half full gauge!

I abandoned it. Garage is convinced I 've put petrol in, we will see, the last fuel receipt shows diesel.

CYCLE

However the rear tyre is off [the 700c] again no puncture but the valve is leaking, slowly.

It seems to be repairable,  pity the bike pump is in the abandoned van!

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

yes, but it  is still inflated , where I left it three or more days ago, and I went round it several times in the washup bowl.

UPDATE

VAN

As my van has stopped working .............. it may be out of fuel in spite of half full gauge!

I abandoned it. Garage is convinced I 've put petrol in, we will see, the last fuel receipt shows diesel.

CYCLE

However the rear tyre is off [the 700c] again no puncture but the valve is leaking, slowly.

It seems to be repairable,  pity the bike pump is in the abandoned van!

It MUST be punctured, the majority say so. 

2 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

It MUST be punctured, the majority say so. 

No, because the evidence says so. But this takes us into semantics. What other word would you propose to describe an unintended escape of air from a tyre? I can’t think of any other than ‘punctured’ or ‘leaking’. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or.... do you hold that a tyre can go flat without there being a loss of air?!

I flattened a tyre once without a loss of air, my dad had just fitted two new ones to a hand me down bike that I'd been given. They were nylon reinforced and made a wonderful screeching sound when doing a skid! An impressive flat spot was the end result (and a clip 'round the ear).

• Haha 1

I've asked for a replacement, but as I had need of transport, I tightened the valve and put it all back together [talc essential], it has been to the garage, pumped up again, back home, fingers crossed, valve cap v tight.

We had a train jumped the buffers and arrived in the High Street a few years ago. The replacement buffers would stop The Flying Scotsman.

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, because the evidence says so. But this takes us into semantics. What other word would you propose to describe an unintended escape of air from a tyre? I can’t think of any other than ‘punctured’ or ‘leaking’. 

No but 'leaking' is an alternative to 'puncture' 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or.... do you hold that a tyre can go flat without there being a loss of air?!

I'm not saying that at all.

I once had a tyre go half flat (as in one half totally flat and the other half over inflated so much it popped the tyre off the rim)

I had repaired a puncture that morning (in a rush) and then ridden the bike for around 6 miles to work with nothing seeming out the ordinary.

when I came out of work I saw that the tyre was flat (squashed flat and rim sat almost on the ground on the lower half) but the upper half had popped off the rim and the tube was swollen to the point that it was jammed between the forks.

I let the air out, reseated the tyre and blew it all up again and never had it happen again.

at least for once the old joke of the tyre only being flat at the bottom was accurate.