Can I use marinas for temporary stops in a grp cruiser

Featured Posts

Hi thanks for the prompt reply. Im going in at Bristol docks. Up the avon to bath. Then onto the kennet and avon canal. Its places on the kennet that I can park in a marina for a few days while I pop home to sort errands. Ones with railway station nearby are very handy.

We have occasionally put the boat into a marina for a few weeks or a month if weekending around the system we have a spell were we have committents.

Prices range wildly, but most have short term rates in the websites. Word of mouth is good too once you get established.

Daniel

Just Google marinas on the K&A and phone them. You may be ok during the summer to get temp mooring in marinas for a few days but come winter time it could be a lot harder.

It seems that lots of boater just moore up somewhere near bridges and leave their boats for a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks relying on other boaters to retie their boats when their mooring pins get ripped out by other boats going past them to fast.

42 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Some marinas may make a fixed charge regardless of boat size.

I suspect most who charge on boat  length will have a minimum charge .

Many (most) inland waterway marinas seem to be a fixed charge (Newark is £10 per night), some are by the metre but few and far between.

Coastal marinas are (as far as I have experienced) all charging by the metre - we paid £40 per night (38 foot boat) in Plymouth this weekend, and about £28 per night in Wells Next The Sea (Norfolk)

York Marina is one of the few Inland Marinas that used to charge by the foot (they have now changed to a fixed price of £27.50) and a 60 foot narrowboat was £70 per night.

59 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Many (most) inland waterway marinas seem to be a fixed charge (Newark is £10 per night), some are by the metre but few and far between.

Coastal marinas are (as far as I have experienced) all charging by the metre - we paid £40 per night (38 foot boat) in Plymouth this weekend, and about £28 per night in Wells Next The Sea (Norfolk)

York Marina is one of the few Inland Marinas that used to charge by the foot (they have now changed to a fixed price of £27.50) and a 60 foot narrowboat was £70 per night.

Often the daily charge is fixed, but once you get into weekly rates, they are usually charged by length.  The best deal I've had recently for my 27ft boat was £26 for a week at Uplands Marina, Anderton. Opposite, at Anderton Marina, was considerably more, but still nowhere near £10 per night.

3 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Often the daily charge is fixed, but once you get into weekly rates, they are usually charged by length.  The best deal I've had recently for my 27ft boat was £26 for a week at Uplands Marina, Anderton. Opposite, at Anderton Marina, was considerably more, but still nowhere near £10 per night.

We looked at the monthly rate at Plymouth - it was based on length and worked out for our 38 footer at approaching £600 per month

Visitor Berthing Fees (from 1st April 2018)

Berthing Term £ per metre LOA inc VAT (20%)
Daily £3.40
7 nights for the price of 5 £17.00
Monthly £55.50
30 day flexible berthing* £62.00
Landing fee max 4 hours £5 first hour then £3 per hour
Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Yes, I've heard that coastal marinas are very expensive.

That's (if I may say so) is a bit of a generalisation.

My 'inland marina' for my 36 foot cruiser at Newark is more expensive than my Coastal marina for my 38 foot boat.

Hull = £271 per metre = £2845

Newark = £3532 widebeam irrespective of length

Add to that there is no cost involved in a 'licence' or a BSS, then coastal boating can be considerably less than inland.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 23/06/2018 at 22:05, F DRAYKE said:

It seems that lots of boater just moore up somewhere near bridges and leave their boats for a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks relying on other boaters to retie their boats when their mooring pins get ripped out by other boats going past them to fast.

When I had my mooring at Cropredy a bloke knocked on the side of my boat (a knackered old wooden Walton) and said "I've got to go to Bradford and it's a bit of an emergency. Can you watch my boat for a bit.

When I said I would he gave me his phone number rushed off to catch his lift.

It was a brand new tug style that he had entrusted to a complete stranger and he was gone for two months, most of which time I spent shrugging my shoulders at the patrol officer who was extremely keen to meet the absent owner.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My 'inland marina' for my 36 foot cruiser at Newark is more expensive than my Coastal marina for my 38 foot boat.

Hull = £271 per metre = £2845

Newark = £3532 widebeam irrespective of length

But...in fairness...Hull??

51 minutes ago, carlt said:

When I had my mooring at Cropredy a bloke knocked on the side of my boat (a knackered old wooden Walton) and said "I've got to go to Bradford and it's a bit of an emergency. Can you watch my boat for a bit.

When I said I would he gave me his phone number rushed off to catch his lift.

It was a brand new tug style that he had entrusted to a complete stranger and he was gone for two months, most of which time I spent shrugging my shoulders at the patrol officer who was extremely keen to meet the absent owner.

Have you been in the last couple of years ?

The year of culture has meant an almost total re-build of the city but retained much of its heritage.

Superb marina, 100 yards away from the city & its facilities, access out onto the North Sea.

We have only moved from there as its 60+ miles before there is a harbour that is big enough to accommodate us. 

Bridlington, Scarborough, Whitby are all too small for us, and Southwards, Wells is the nearest.

2 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I reckon they know that people with seagoing boats have plenty of dosh.

You would be wrong there.

I am not convinced a narrowboat is any cheaper to run than a sea boat.

2 hours ago, carlt said:

There are far worse places ...............Grimsby for example.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

about £28 per night in Wells Next The Sea (Norfolk)

Wells  has to be the best value for money simply for the outlook from the visitor pontoon

20160710.jpg

35 minutes ago, MartynG said:

There are worse places than Grimsby but that doesn't make Hull any nicer.

28 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Wells  has to be the best value for money simply for the outlook from the visitor pontoon

20160710.jpg

Wells is lovely...Sadly my lifeboat was too big for a permanent mooring.

13 minutes ago, carlt said:

There are worse places than Grimsby 

I am sure anything is possible .

18 minutes ago, carlt said:

Wells is lovely...Sadly my lifeboat was too big for a permanent mooring.

Is this your lifeboat?

img-2010.jpg

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

I am sure anything is possible .

Is this your lifeboat?

img-2010.jpg

No, mine was much bigger and a lot less pretty.

Same builder though (iirc) Groves and Gutteridge.

That is a Liverpool Class (35') mine was a Barnett 51'.

2124_PETERANDSARAHBLAKE_2.jpg

I had paid for moorings twice in my epic voyage (Scolare Green would make it three but that doesn't really count as the boat ended up there for 18 months)

Winter mooring at Thrupp, paid for by length

5 weeks one summer at Fenny Compton, paid by length but I suspect actually by length of pontoon not by length of boat, which is not uncommon in marinas with boat length pontoons

On the K and A I never stopped anywhere long enough to warrant a paid for mooring - even though I left the boat in 9 different places none were for more than two weeks (or at least weren't intended to be when I left it - snow made it three weeks at Horton Bridge)

21 hours ago, MartynG said:

I once managed a project in Grimsby Telephone Exchange.

It was just off Grime Street.

http://www.telephone-exchange.co.uk/Grimsby-SLGY.html

Says everything you need to know about Grimsby really.