Water levels - likely predictions?

OldGoat

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

"Eastern European feel" sounds like a dog whistle racist term to me! Where are the over zealous mods when you need them. Perhaps they agree. 

It was an observation (and slightly light hearted if you read it again) based on fact, not a racist remark. Regarding any comment about race or culture as racist is a growing problem and threat to free speech. Racism is a irrational hatred of other races.

It was very noticeable that the vast majority of people in the supermarket were not speaking English. The groups of young men hanging around in the park next to the moorings did have a somewhat hostile manner to them but did not give us any trouble.

Some canal boats are now built in Poland. They are very well engineered but somehow lack some of the style and character of a boat built in England by a traditional builder.

Is that racist?

Scotland are seriously thinking about closing some of their canals to navigation?   Is that racist????

...........Dave (who has worked with people from many races and cultures, some I like and some I don't)

• Greenie 2

32 minutes ago, dmr said:

Racism is a irrational hatred of other races.

Ok some races I really like, others I quite dislike. Does this make me a racist?

Bicycle races for example I quite dislike. Motor races, F1 especially, I can really get into. 

Horse races can be exciting to see live, too.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Tyler Wilson (you'd soon know if you had to clear the prop!) and all the rest by Phil Herrington, Stem to Stern in Stafford. I'm a bit prejudiced but I'd happily recommend him to even the fussiest client.

Really? That bow flare looked like a Liverpool - who built the shell of our last boat, which is why I noticed it. Nowt wrong with Tyler Wilson though, as they build boats in the city where I was brought up.

53 minutes ago, dmr said:

It was an observation (and slightly light hearted if you read it again) based on fact, not a racist remark. Regarding any comment about race or culture as racist is a growing problem and threat to free speech. Racism is a irrational hatred of other races.

It was very noticeable that the vast majority of people in the supermarket were not speaking English. The groups of young men hanging around in the park next to the moorings did have a somewhat hostile manner to them but did not give us any trouble.

There is no need to justify yourself, I don't think anyone could possibly have seen your post as offensive in any way. I thought at first that you were referring to the architecture, and I couldn't think of anything in Pbo which reminded me of Russian buildings, but you were and are perfectly entitled to your opinion.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

There is no need to justify yourself, I don't think anyone could possibly have seen your post as offensive in any way. I thought at first that you were referring to the architecture, and I couldn't think of anything in Pbo which reminded me of Russian buildings, but you were and are perfectly entitled to your opinion.

A bit of Eastern European architecture might be quite nice in some of our towns, but I'm not referring to the low rise concrete housing blocks that we see in pictures of East Germany. At the risk of sounding racist again, there is a large housing development in Liverpool at the far end of Stanley dock, I think the architect tried to make it look like a ship but failed miserably, we always refer to it as the "Eastern European Flats". I do find it interesting when on our travels and we visit a place with unusual architecture and I often assume the designer had travelled overseas and picked up some influences, can't think of any examples just now. in fact can't think at all, its just got to 31 degrees in the boat.

..............Dave

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think the Bridge of Sighs in Cambridge has foreign inspiration, and I'm sure Blackpool Tower does.

As I am now a racist I must declare that this is untrue, The Bridge of Sighs in Cambridge was built in England to an English design. Some damn foreigners then built a second rate copy over one of their dirty canals that are also a second rate copy of proper British canals. Don't believe everything you read in those history books.

and the bridge of Sighs in Cambridge is heavily influenced by a smaller bridge over the canal on the way in to Chester that was built by the English at the same time that they built the city walls to defend against the invading Romans.

Blackpool tower is actually a second rate copy of the Tower that was built in New Brighton but sadly stolen when Liverpool was invaded by Irish scrap metal dealers.

..................Dave 

• Greenie 1

Racism can also be making unfounded casual assumptions and remarks about other races, it does not have to be a full on race hate crime. 

Just chucked a salesman out on his ear, complained, got a £ voucher. He made a casual remark that "Asians try to game the system". I would have had no problem if he said "some people try to game the system". But I won't have it in my own house, a few of our family are married/in a relationship with Asian heritage partners. 

He probably thought subconsciously that it would aid his case, because we live in an ex council house on a small estate. It's bad sales technique too, as well as being plan out of order. It's also the presumption that we would agree with him that grates. 

Having said all that, it's OK to bait Yorkshire men. That's just speciesist. 

Although everybody is different there are strong racial trends that should not be ignored. I reckon our society has got itself into a right mess because on one hand it tries to promote "colour blindness"  but also promotes positive discrimination and diversity training. I have worked with many races and there are many that are difficult. French engineers are mostly wonderful. I also get on well with Scandinavians. Germans are unduly stubborn and interestingly this sometimes over-rides their logic, though good socially. Currently involved with Indians, I like the Indians as people, and they have some great history and culture, but trying to get a straight answer out of them on detailed software issues is blood out of stone. Iranians and Iraqis are very loud and don't listen, not good. Chinese are a bit Brutal (Einsteins just got himself into a load of bother over this). Surprisingly a race that is very close to us is the Japanese, but their corporate decision making is glacial.

Still, don't have these problems on the cut as its almost 100% white British. I know of a Frenchman and that's about it! Need some Germans, they wouldn't leave the paddles up....but they might moor on the lock landings!.

And saw a hire boat flying a New Zealand flag winding an Anderson boat yesterday and it was done better than the ABC instructors teaching their hirers.

.............Dave (this is all just a bit of fun )?