Water levels - likely predictions?

OldGoat

Featured Posts

We're planning a visit from the comfort of the Royal River to see what's the Nene is like.

The trouble is that like Fair Phyllis it's up and down twice (I enjoy talking in riddles) and that means using lots of water.

Although the weather this year has been diabolical, there's not been a lot of sustained rain. The Thames may well start to be 'shut in' (it's several years since the EA had to sandbag the weirs to hold back the levels), but the flows are cutting back already.

We'll be going -

Up the oxford,

down to Napton,

Up past Braunston,

Down past Whilton (quickly)

Down to Northampton,

Down to Peterborough

(382 miles 246 locks 20 days cruising)

So what do folks feel about having enough water to float the boat and fill the locks sometime in July early August?

Peterborough is not the most exciting destination, though does have a very strong Eastern European feel to it so is almost overseas.

Could you find the time to go across the Middle levels and then maybe on to Ely, a much nicer destination?

I expect before long we will have rain, probably so much that Thames will be on Red boards ?

...............Dave

19 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

We're planning a visit from the comfort of the Royal River to see what's the Nene is like.

The trouble is that like Fair Phyllis it's up and down twice (I enjoy talking in riddles) and that means using lots of water.

Although the weather this year has been diabolical, there's not been a lot of sustained rain. The Thames may well start to be 'shut in' (it's several years since the EA had to sandbag the weirs to hold back the levels), but the flows are cutting back already.

We'll be going -

Up the oxford,

down to Napton,

Up past Braunston,

Down past Whilton (quickly)

Down to Northampton,

Down to Peterborough

(382 miles 246 locks 20 days cruising)

So what do folks feel about having enough water to float the boat and fill the locks sometime in July early August?

Hope all is going to okay, we'll be returning and going the opposite way to you. 

On 23/06/2018 at 11:22, dmr said:

Peterborough is not the most exciting destination, though does have a very strong Eastern European feel to it so is almost overseas.

It's a fine city with much history, interesting architecture and good shopping - none of which displays mush Eastern influence as far as I can see.

It also has a very fine steam railway, at least one of whose stations is by the river.

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's a fine city with much history, interesting architecture and good shopping - none of which displays mush Eastern influence as far as I can see.

It also has a very fine steam railway, at least one of whose stations is by the river.

Cathedral good. Nene Valley Railway very interesting, came quite late so not much old rolling stock and locomotives available so they got a whole load of continental stuff, by relaying the double tracks as a single track in the centre of the bridge arches they were able to accommodate the larger size of the European stuff.

.............Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

Cathedral good. Nene Valley Railway very interesting, came quite late so not much old rolling stock and locomotives available so they got a whole load of continental stuff, e

Yes, the chance to see overseas engines was one of the NVR's main selling points - and led to its being used in several films, if memory serves. I'm not sure what has happened to those locos, but a look at their web site suggests that only a Southern BB pacific and a GWR tank engine are currently available for hauling passenger services.

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

DMR put me off somewhat and not helped by a Streetview search when trying to find exactly where the cathedral was - the main road was a bit depressing. A shame because the Park looked very inviting - but there are reports that it's not very safe. FWIW we visited an IWA rally there some years ago and while I chatted to Beta, The Management trotted of to the Cathedral to look at the 'stones', rather than engines and boat hardware.

contd/

22 minutes ago, dmr said:

Cathedral good. Nene Valley Railway very interesting, came quite late so not much old rolling stock and locomotives available so they got a whole load of continental stuff, by relaying the double tracks as a single track in the centre of the bridge arches they were able to accommodate the larger size of the European stuff.

.............Dave

Yes, the several suggestions of 'doing the final mile' by train is very attractive, saves a day's cruising plus a proper train run. At home we have the Bluebell Line, so we're spoilt by much nicer engines and rolling stock, though it does seem daft to have Tornado pulling a few coaches over what was a rather tatty old branch line. Our local branch line - Horsham to Shoreham-by-sea was dumped pre-Beeching 

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

DMR put me off somewhat and not helped by a Streetview search when trying to find exactly where the cathedral was - the main road was a bit depressing. A shame because the Park looked very inviting - but there are reports that it's not very safe. FWIW we visited an IWA rally there some years ago and while I chatted to Beta, The Management trotted of to the Cathedral to look at the 'stones', rather than engines and boat hardware.

contd/

Yes, the several suggestions of 'doing the final mile' by train is very attractive, saves a day's cruising plus a proper train run. At home we have the Bluebell Line, so we're spoilt by much nicer engines and rolling stock, though it does seem daft to have Tornado pulling a few coaches over what was a rather tatty old branch line. Our local branch line - Horsham to Shoreham-by-sea was dumped pre-Beeching 

The Cathedral doesn't need to be 'Found'. Tie up at the moorings, which are just after the Town bridge, stand with your back to the river and you are looking at it.

The NVR actualy crosses the Nene a couple of times after Wandsford and the Orton Station is next to the Orton Lock.

Ferry meadows is worth a look too, they have a 24hr mooring in the lake.

Edited by artleknock

Peterborough embankment is a bit noisy at the moment, quite a few high rise apartments are being built on the other bank side (just after the floating Chinese Restaurant). We moored at about 3 o/c one day last week, and it was noisy, but the workmen went home at 5 ish, and didn't start the next day till 8 ish so it wasn't a problem.

It's a bit of a walk to Asda (especially on the way back with full bags), sadly it looks like moorings have been fenced off just outside Asda - at least we couldn't see them. 

The sanny services were nice and clean I believe, according to him that does..... there's a super fast waterpoint there too ?

1 hour ago, artleknock said:

The Cathedral doesn't need to be 'Found'. Tie up at the moorings, which are just after the Town bridge, stand with your back to the river and you are looking at it.

The NVR actualy crosses the Nene a couple of times after Wandsford and the Orton Station is next to the Orton Lock.

Ferry meadows is worth a look too, they have a 24hr mooring in the lake.

Ferry meadows was brilliant! Not so for our GSD though, the pontoon is surfaced with 'cheese graters' - next time we moor there (on our way back) we'll moor stern first so he doesn't have far to 'crawl' (he leaves the boat from the stern). 

11 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Peterborough embankment is a bit noisy at the moment, quite a few high rise apartments are being built on the other bank side (just after the floating Chinese Restaurant). We moored at about 3 o/c one day last week, and it was noisy, but the workmen went home at 5 ish, and didn't start the next day till 8 ish so it wasn't a problem.

It's a bit of a walk to Asda (especially on the way back with full bags), sadly it looks like moorings have been fenced off just outside Asda - at least we couldn't see them. 

The sanny services were nice and clean I believe, according to him that does..... there's a super fast waterpoint there too ?

Ferry meadows was brilliant! Not so for our GSD though, the pontoon is surfaced with 'cheese graters' - next time we moor there (on our way back) we'll moor stern first so he doesn't have far to 'crawl' (he leaves the boat from the stern). 

Many thanks Jennifer and everybody!

When I showed The Management my calculations (rather than talk about the trip) 382 miles, 246 locks and 20 days 'we' decided that it was a bit too much - 'specially as the weather may be hot and a possible water shortage. Quite apart from that a 2016 reprint of Ian Smith's "The river Nene" book mad us realise that there's a lot to explore, rather than doing the usual rush from A to B and back again the we usually do.

SO another year, perhaps, maybe.

A shame, but there's Henley regatta, Festival and more importantly the Traditional Boat Festival to keep us occupied.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, the chance to see overseas engines was one of the NVR's main selling points - and led to its being used in several films, if memory serves. I'm not sure what has happened to those locos, but a look at their web site suggests that only a Southern BB pacific and a GWR tank engine are currently available for hauling passenger services.

Sorry not to be able to stop and chat thus afternoon but the Fox's day boat was just passing! Having had a slight delay at Maureen's lock we were a tad concerned about mooring in U well but in the event it was fine. No-one else! I was also so unclued-up about your location, what with not wearing my hearing aids on account of engine noise and avoiding the other boat, that it was down to Christine to realise what you were saying. Having cruisesd for ages with not much happening, why does it all happen at once?

It was a pleasure to see you, and yes, it was remarkable to see two boats at once on this fairly quiet waterway! I'd guess that Liverpool Boats built your shell (they built our last boat too).

6 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

"Eastern European feel" sounds like a dog whistle racist term to me! Where are the over zealous mods when you need them. Perhaps they agree. 

Nothing to do with 'racism', there was a lot of Polish, and I think Russian sounding people too. It's the same when you go to Blackpool at a certain time of year, everyone has a heavy Scottish accent, mentioning it doesn't make me racist against the Scottish. Facts are facts

You are intimating that the moorings in the park or where ever are dangerous because there are ruffians about, you are saying the ruffians are Eastern European, what proof do you have of that? 

14 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

"Eastern European feel" sounds like a dog whistle racist term to me! Where are the over zealous mods when you need them. Perhaps they agree. 

I'm here, Sir, and indeed commented on this in post number 7, which perhaps you did not read.

How do you recognise an Eastern European dog? They all just look like dogs to me.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I'm here, Sir, and indeed commented on this in post number 7, which perhaps you did not read.

How do you recognise an Eastern European dog? They all just look like dogs to me.

Vague mention, yes, but hardly calling a spade a spade! First they came for the....... 

7 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Vague mention, yes, but hardly calling a spade a spade! First they came for the....... 

I'm sorry that you found it vague. I must work harder on my English. But I shan't be calling anyone a spade.

14 hours ago, Athy said:

It was a pleasure to see you, and yes, it was remarkable to see two boats at once on this fairly quiet waterway! I'd guess that Liverpool Boats built your shell (they built our last boat too).

Tyler Wilson (you'd soon know if you had to clear the prop!) and all the rest by Phil Herrington, Stem to Stern in Stafford. I'm a bit prejudiced but I'd happily recommend him to even the fussiest client.