'Mad' narrow boaters to navigate The Wash to Bedford

Ray T

Featured Posts

Just now, rusty69 said:

Haven't you got a bbq to go to? 

Had one last night :P cant be bothered tonite, got a fab mooring under trees today so be ere a couple of days and popping off on train doin stuff :)

• Happy 1

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I think you could well be correct. Peeps go on cruise ships and cross channel ferries and subconsciously they think their narrowboat will be the same. Its fine in very good weather as yes they are bouyant but.........................

Last time I was on a cruise ship and we hit bad weather the whole thing was shaking each time the back end came out of the water.  Mind you looking at the stats for that ship if you scaled it down to 7 foot wide it would have been 64 feet long with a draft of 1.7 feet...... so pretty much a very large narrow boat.

10 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Suspect you very carefully select your weather window, and tide times, and avoid any days after strong northerly or north easterly winds. 

Better still, give the Wash a miss and plan a great trip on the canals and rivers. Yes, narrowboats have done such trips but they aren't designed or equipped for offshore conditions. Horses for courses in my book.

Howard

• Happy 1

10 hours ago, TeeELL said:

Here is some video footage of a part of our Wash crossing yesterday, it was certainly ‘interesting’ towards the end!  Oh, can’t do it, sorry.   When I find a way I will.

What was the wind speed & direction please? 

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Wind in n norfolk has been f 3-4 ne last few days. Not the best direction for a wash crossing imo. 

Theres nowt wrong with crossing the wash in forum member naughty cals little boat amongst several other members. Its realy simple isnt it if you are a young or dare I say old couple with no kids in tow on a sunny summers day do you go for a spin in yer MX5 or if you have 3 Kids and a dog to take with you do you use a people carrier? Its simple use of what is fit for the job and built for the particular job.

17 hours ago, TeeELL said:

Here is some video footage of a part of our Wash crossing yesterday, it was certainly ‘interesting’ towards the end!  Oh, can’t do it, sorry.   When I find a way I will.

Upload it to YouTube and paste the link here. 

23 minutes ago, MartynG said:

How many narrowboats have been lost at Sea? Not many I suspect.  So it must be a safe activity.

And this elephant repellant spray that I bought must work well too ‘cos there aren’t any at all up my street. 

Edited by WotEver
  • Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And this elephant repellant spray that I bought must work well too ‘cos there aren’t any at all up my street. 

The elephant repellent you used is very powerful as I have not seen any in the UK except in captivity.

Narrowboats should go to sea more often. It would reduce congestion on the canals. It may also deter elephants trying to illegally swim into UK waters from Africa. 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

How many narrowboats have been lost at Sea? Not many I suspect.  So it must be a safe activity.

Directly down I would suggest to not many people being daft enough to do it.

33 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The elephant repellent you used is very powerful as I have not seen any in the UK except in captivity

Yes, it is labelled ‘Extra Strength’ and I’ve been using it quite liberally. 

Athy, 5 of our boats will be in your area today, we are presently a bit scattered due to the mooring situation.  Two boats are your side of March, I am near Fox’s boat yard and the final pair are in Wittelsey.  We are scheduled to lock through tomorrow (Saturday) so may well ‘overnight’ near you.

Edited by TeeELL
Spelling

11 minutes ago, TeeELL said:

Athy, 5 of our boats will be in your area today, we are presently a bit scattered due to the mooring situation.  Two boats are your side of March, I am near Fox’s boat yard and the final pair are in Wittelsey.  We are scheduled to lock through tomorrow (Saturday) so may well ‘overnight’ near you.

Are you going to try the New Bedford, or are you taking the scenic route via Ely ?