Otters at Napton

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

CaRT put out a notice yesterday saying contractors will be erecting a fence around Napton reservoir to “protect small wildlife from otters”

Otters?

At Napton??

Anyone seen any???

(And I’m looking across said reservoir as I type this)

This is nuts. Are otters not 'small wildlife' themselves?

There are otter spraints all over the southern system, suggesting otters are widespread. Lets hope CRT have no idea about this or we'll be getting fences EVERYWHERE. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There are otter spraints all over the southern system, suggesting otters are widespread. Lets hope CRT have no idea about this or we'll be getting fences EVERYWHERE. 

Have CaRT got any idea about anything?      

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is nuts. Are otters not 'small wildlife' themselves?

It surprised me too. I had thought for years that otters were the Good Guys, that their numbers had declined and that we should help protect them, rather than protecting other species against them. Now it seems that otters are rotters.

I suppose if you were a mouse or vole an otter would look really quite large.

Edited by Athy

41 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

CaRT put out a notice yesterday saying contractors will be erecting a fence around Napton reservoir to “protect small wildlife from otters”

If there are Otters there should we not be encouraging them so that they displace the invasive Mink?

• Greenie 4

2 minutes ago, NickF said:

Have CaRT got any idea about anything?      

Water voles seem to attract most of their attention, probably because there are so many of them! Greater crested newts however seem to have passed them by.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

This is either stupidity of the highest order or there is a specific protected species that needs protection whilst breeding and the fence is temporary

Yes we'll probably find it is something like signal crayfish they are trying to protect.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, carlt said:

If there are Otters there should we not be encouraging them so that they displace the invasive Mink?

I was thinking along similar lines; just as one can train terriers to catch rats and so forth, can we train a Special Otter Service (Mink Platoon) to chase the so-and-so's away?

Edited by Athy

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

I was thinking along similar lines; just as one can train terriers to catch rats and so forth, can we train a Special Otter Service (Mink Platoon) to chase the so-and-so's away?

They do already,  otters move into an area and kick the mink out

8 minutes ago, carlt said:

This is a tricky one. On balance I think them minks are fluffier, more photgenic and friendlier-looking than otters, so should be protected first. 

Expert at wildlife, moi. 

• Unimpressed 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What is a commercial fish, anyway? I can't find it in my Observers' Book of Fishes.

If you look really close you can see the Queen's head on their scales. 

Edited by Tumshie
grummmer

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What is a commercial fish, anyway? I can't find it in my Observers' Book of Fishes.

They're the ones behind the stall selling the prawns.

I must say this debate is getting otter by the minute!