Gas valve thingy.

Featured Posts

Our boat has two gas bottles. They link to a valve which I think is an auto change over, never used it as  like to know when one bottle runs dry. There is also a brass valve on top inside a clear plastic cover. You can push it down to close valve, you then need to lift it to reopen valve. Also there’s a white switch with an arrow on that can turn towards either bottle. I have no problem with gas but after four years with this boat I should really find out what it all does? 

image.jpg

That looks to me like an "under-pressure shut-off valve". When the gas is on the point of running out, the pressure drops and the valve shuts off to prevent gas appliances being operated at less-than-the-correct-gas-pressure. A safety device fitted to all household LPG installations and a right PITA.

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'd imagine the valve doofer is the indicator that the bottle the switch is pointing to is empty and that it's switched to the other one. It does look a bit 19th century.... Even older than my boat's original, which got replaced a fair while back. 

Boat is ten years old. Polish built and generally with well regarded equipment. I think the plumbing and gas is done slightly differently to the English way though. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That looks to me like an "under-pressure shut-off valve". When the gas is on the point of running out, the pressure drops and the valve shuts off to prevent gas appliances being operated at less-than-the-correct-gas-pressure. A safety device fitted to all household LPG installations and a right PITA.

What problems might it cause? As I said it’s be fine so far. Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, ianali said:

Boat is ten years old. Polish built and generally with well regarded equipment. I think the plumbing and gas is done slightly differently to the English way though. 

What problems might it cause? As I said it’s be fine so far. Thanks. 

Unexpectedly popping out and shutting off the gas when bottles not exhausted (can be caused by under-sized regulator). Users not realising it is there (and popped out) in the first place. The thing developing a fault and refusing to stay IN on a freezing cold night when slashing with rain and you NEED a hot meal....

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Unexpectedly popping out and shutting off the gas when bottles not exhausted (can be caused by under-sized regulator). Users not realising it is there (and popped out) in the first place. The thing developing a fault and refusing to stay IN on a freezing cold night when slashing with rain and you NEED a hot meal....

Got it. But no safety issue? As I said it’s not caused any problems so il live with it. Thanks for the advice, il know what to check if me dinner ever comes out cold then.

4 hours ago, ianali said:

Our boat has two gas bottles. They link to a valve which I think is an auto change over, never used it as  like to know when one bottle runs dry. There is also a brass valve on top inside a clear plastic cover. You can push it down to close valve, you then need to lift it to reopen valve. Also there’s a white switch with an arrow on that can turn towards either bottle. I have no problem with gas but after four years with this boat I should really find out what it all does? 

image.jpg

Ahh I can add some detail for you. I have this very bit of kit and always used it with one gas cylinder closed off as auto changovers are a stupid idea. A couple of weeks ago we smelt gas near gas locker and I looked for leaks and found non but gas was going down quicker than normal. Checked again after two days and still stinking when gas locker lid was up then next morning no gas at cooker.  Took the thing off the boat cos like you didnt know anything about it and found the plastic cap screws off and valve had dropped so pulled it up and all now working fine but we leave both bottles open now. Needless to say I have ordered a  proper twin tailed manual unit to arrive at a sprogs house and that will be fitted and this one skipped.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh I can add some detail for you. I have this very bit of kit and always used it with one gas cylinder closed off as auto changovers are a stupid idea. A couple of weeks ago we smelt gas near gas locker and I looked for leaks and found non but gas was going down quicker than normal. Checked again after two days and still stinking when gas locker lid was up then next morning no gas at cooker.  Took the thing off the boat cos like you didnt know anything about it and found the plastic cap screws off and valve had dropped so pulled it up and all now working fine but we leave both bottles open now. Needless to say I have ordered a  proper twin tailed manual unit to arrive at a sprogs house and that will be fitted and this one skipped.

Interesting and confusing. I know when the valve drops the gas is shut off. So if yours had dropped then you must have a leak somewhere? 

4 minutes ago, ianali said:

Interesting and confusing. I know when the valve drops the gas is shut off. So if yours had dropped then you must have a leak somewhere? 

This is what confused us. We tested all fittings several times and found no leak. Then the thingy dropped and closed off the gas but after we sussed it out by taking plastic cover off and pulling valve back up we know and for the last couple of weeks have zero smell its working properly again and no loss of gas :blink: We surmise!!?? that as we had been incorrectly using the unit by keeping one bottle switched off until empty and then turning full one on it must have got pissed off and partialy dropped or something letting some gas past it and leaking!!!??? all I can say is we now do as instructions attached to it say and leave both bottles on and its fine. No smell etc etc. However its getting ell binno when the proper manual jobby is fitted.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This is what confused us. We tested all fittings several times and found no leak. Then the thingy dropped and closed off the gas but after we sussed it out by taking plastic cover off and pulling valve back up we know and for the last couple of weeks have zero smell its working properly again and no loss of gas :blink: We surmise!!?? that as we had been incorrectly using the unit by keeping one bottle switched off until empty and then turning full one on it must have got pissed off and partialy dropped or something letting some gas past it and leaking!!!??? all I can say is we now do as instructions attached to it say and leave both bottles on and its fine. No smell etc etc. However its getting ell binno when the proper manual jobby is fitted.

Thanks for info. Ours has always only had one bottle open as well.. now I don’t know what to do...guess il have a beer and mull it over a while... enjoy the sunshine .

3 minutes ago, ianali said:

Thanks for info. Ours has always only had one bottle open as well.. now I don’t know what to do...guess il have a beer and mull it over a while... enjoy the sunshine .

Ahh  having a beer is always the way to go. Moored on the garden at the Black horse at moment going in very shortly :cheers: