Cropredy 2018: Where do I aim to moor?

JB Segal

Featured Posts

Hi, all,

This is my 1st post here, and Mid-July to Mid-August will be my 1st ever narrowboat trip. I expect I’ll be posting a bit on the newcomers side of things soon, as my planning continues. (I am an American who’s been wanting to spend time on the canals for at least a decade, and a Fairport fan since around... ‘85. Yeah, a latecomer, I know. The 1st 2/3 of the trip, from home port at Cowroast to (wherever I go, to) Cropredy will be - to make things ever more special - done solo.)

However, right now I have a practical question: As this trip just happens to run across the Convention weekend, I finally plan on getting to check off 2 of my, well, bucket list items.

But how far away from the festival am I likely to end up having to moor, given that I do want to spend as much time sailing as I can, and only moor up for the Convention around Monday or maybe Tuesday?

I’d LIKE to not be walking many miles every day, but is that a hopeless dream? Is there a good place to park a bike anywhere near the festival, should I manage to hire one?

Beyond that, as I’m trying to spend as little money as possible, will there be any place where I will be able to actually get food at something below “You’re here for a festival! Please hand over your wallet.” rates, or does the whole town mark up its prices for the 1st 2 weeks in August?

If it matters, I’ll be on a 28’ boat. Beyond that, the boat’s actually for sale - I’m getting to do this trip with the understanding that I’ll show the boat to interested parties if it comes up. I’m working on getting the full sale listing for the boat from my cousins, if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your help! I’m looking forward to this whole month so MUCH!

JB

Good morning, and welcome to CWDF.

Cropredy village fills up pretty quickly before the festival period. By the time it starts there will be boats moored throughout the village and for half a mile each side. However, with a boat only 28 feet long you have a good chance of finding a slot because most people's boats will be longer than that  I suggest that you cruise right through and look for a space. If you don't find one, turn round (because of your short length you should be able to do this) and go back again. If you see a couple of boats with short spaces between them you could ask them to move closer together so that you could fit in. Some boaters don't like doing this but others are happy to do so. You may be tempted to move someone's boat along to create a space if there is no one on it, but this is not considered polite.

Festival food is not especially expensive: £7 or £8 will buy you a good plateful. But, depending on which direction you are coming from, stop in Rugby or Banbury, where there are big supermarkets, and stock up. There is a village mini-market which is dearer than the bigger shops, but it's convenient (though, once again, stock up before the festival starts: during the event, as otherwise you'll have to queue just to get in the shop.

And finally...when you do get there, look out for a boat called Trojan, moored about 150 yards South of the road bridge in the village. That's ours. Don't be afraid to say Hello.

All of Athys suggestions make sense. So, I will, with pleasure, endorse them. 

(Mike, we are travelling north, presently at Aynho. We have to break our progress somewhere but will probably be in the Cropredy area at sometime mid July or possibly earlier. Are you likely to be around?)

Martyn.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

All of Athy's suggestions make sense.

Gosh! I'll cut that out and frame it.

We'll be down there some weekends but not sure which, as it tends to be a spur-of-the-moment decision.

We end up cruising through Cropredy on our annual pilgrimage to the ditchy stuff (by mistake) and notice that whereas the canal is choc-a-bloc through the village and above, to the south the boats thin out quite quickly and are nicer moorings anyway...

I agree with Athy too!!

The moorings above Cropredy lock are usually occupied about a week in advance - however if there is room to double moor you can always ask. We have been going to Cropredy by boat for a number of years and have always allowed "latecomers" to breast up if there's space and most of the regular festival boaters are the same - unfortunately we're not going this year! The stretch between Cropredy bridge and the festival site entrance is occupied by long-term moorers and traders, however if you continue on past the festival site there are usually some moorings between Keens bridge and Slat Mill bridge. You'll have a half mile to mile walk to the site depending on where you get in! Shopping wise the best options are Morrisons or Tesco in Banbury or Tesco at Brownsover, Rugby. However we tend to buy from the food stalls at the festival, which saves having to cart to much stuff backwards and forwards. I would thoroughly recommend Leon's which does excellent vegetarian food!

Thanks all, for your feedback!

Could anyone give me a google maps pin for where the actual festival entrance is? They show a big field, but not actually what path one has to walk to get there. :)

Athy: I’ll be sure to say hi!

Beyond that, Mal, when you talk of mooring abreast, you mean where I (actually we, as I’ll have a companion for the festival and after) would “double park” as we put it here and get to my boat across your stern?

on the other hand, if it’s really only a half mile hike, that’s not too bad. I was getting the impression it’d be 2-3 miles to home at night...

Really, I’m entirely clueless about almost all of this (beyond Fairport’s music, and long running Oysterband fanaticism - but narrowboating, and then British music festivals? Nothing!), and any and all info I can get I happily welcome!

For maps, go to http://www.fairportconvention.com/ and follow the signpost to "The Festival", then "Festival Information" and finally "Festival Maps".

If you're moored to the South, go up to the canal bridge connecting the Fields 7 to Field 1 (Cropredy Mill Bridge 154). Then leave the towpath (there's an open door in the wall just North of the bridge) and follow everyone across the bottom of field 1. The bottom corner of Field 2 is then the entrance to the main arena field, but first you'll have to go a bit further along to a marquee where you'll exchange your paper ticket for a wristband.

If you're approaching by road, on your bike, perhaps, then come along the Williamscot road to the junction between Fields 9 and 11 (you won't miss it, everyone else will be going there!). I've usually seen half-a-dozen bikes chained to the fences out of the way at the top of field 9. (The towpath South of Cropredy Mill Bridge is not really suitable for cycling).

• 1 month later...

As near as I could tell heading south yesterday, things were all moored up down to Keen’s bridge.

Is there anyone reading this who’d like to volunteer a place to breast up any closer? :)

JB - heading back north from Banbury either today or tomorrow morning.

I arrived today at Cropredy after a surprisingly trouble free journey from Garstang, on the Lancaster canal, given the current issues up North. A total of 227 miles; can I claim the longest direct boat journey to the Cropredy Festival?! ? Just need to get back now.

1 minute ago, rgreg said:

I arrived today at Cropredy after a surprisingly trouble free journey from Garstang, on the Lancaster canal, given the current issues up North. A total of 227 miles; can I claim the longest direct boat journey to the Cropredy Festival?! ? Just need to get back now.

... and then where did you moor? :)

On 05/08/2018 at 21:59, Onewheeler said:

We're tied up above Slat's Mill bridge. Say hello to Boden if you see her.

You were not at home when I walked.by northbound, and asleep when I walked home from the Brasenose Arms around 11. :)

I’m 4 boats south of you on Lily (waiting for RCR, as it turns out. ? )

2 hours ago, JB Segal said:

You were not at home when I walked.by northbound, and asleep when I walked home from the Brasenose Arms around 11. :)

I’m 4 boats south of you on Lily (waiting for RCR, as it turns out. ? )

Ah, that's because we're not there. Will be back on Wednesday and will say hello!