Installing a wood stove burner

Featured Posts

Hello folks

I hope someone can point me in the right direction with this.

I've got a burner for my narrowboat, and the boat has already had a hole cut in the top to accommodate the chimney flue.

My question is, once that is in place, what materials and techniques can I use to fill the gap between flue and hole? Also, should I weld the flue onto the burner's main body? Or is it adequate to just slide it on, as it is a snug fit after all?

Thanks in advance!

Sliding fit on the stove with sealant, collar on the roof with sealant. Inside heat proof cover and insulation around chimney where it goes through ceiling. Suitable heat resistant surfaces behind stove and flue  to protect walls

If you don't already have a collar on the roof, you will need one of these :

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1882/product/hc-601.aspx

You can get all of the components you need as a 'kit'* which will include such things as the heatproof tape to apply where it goes thru the roof, a 'brass' trim ring to cover up the hole on the ceiling etc etc.

*(Well you could when I fitted one a few years ago)

Stoves are best form of boat heating (I think) wood is good but smokeless is better, wood exudes tarry smoke that causes horrible stains on the boat, clogs up the flue, releases carcinogens (so does almost everything else though) burns way too hot sometimes, goes out overnight and makes the boat smell like a tar works. Sorry, giving my opinion of all the worst things that can happen. Stoves burn out more boats than anything else and CO kills lots of people. Having said all that, I have always had stoves in boats, still have in fact. Just please be careful when installing and using it. Get it right - no worries. Get it wrong .......

41 minutes ago, Bee said:

Stoves are best form of boat heating (I think) wood is good but smokeless is better, wood exudes tarry smoke that causes horrible stains on the boat, clogs up the flue, releases carcinogens (so does almost everything else though) burns way too hot sometimes, goes out overnight and makes the boat smell like a tar works. Sorry, giving my opinion of all the worst things that can happen. Stoves burn out more boats than anything else and CO kills lots of people. Having said all that, I have always had stoves in boats, still have in fact. Just please be careful when installing and using it. Get it right - no worries. Get it wrong .......

What kind of unseasoned wood are you burning to give all the unwanted traits you list,  agree with the hot burn & the possibility of going out over night  a lot of folk think stoves that are listed as wood burning are in fact multi fuel not genuine wood burners & they don't work the same as a just wood stove when only burning wood, the house I live in the only heat source is supplied by 3 wood burning stoves a 14/ 2 off 9 kw  I burn mostly 2 year (or longer) seasoned oak logs & have non of the listed symptoms other than an occasional going out over night with the 14 kw one although the stove retains heat & the room/s are still warm the symptoms you describe are a trait of burning unseasoned more than 20% moisture content wood I try to keep my wood with a moisture content of no more than 16% for a clean almost smoke free burn

Yeah, it was the worst case scenario really, just that I often see boats with a pile of old wet logs and pallet wood on the roof that has been dragged out of the cut. Genuine wood burning stoves certainly are different from multifuel, I have a 'multifuel' stove in the house that is great on coal but useless on wood, even dry wood. I think the wood pile is a bit of an obsession in France, the biggest winter store of wood we have seen was considerably bigger than the house it was attached to and I reckon must have contained wood from the ark.

I used some of this roof flashing stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I3I8NMM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously, you'd need to get it with a hole the diameter of your flue.

The metal sheet it's on can easily be cut with scissors and shaped (eg: curve, or whatever) and once the flue is through the rubber it won't leak. The rubber is, of course, special heat resistant stuff.

Just be sure to put a fair amount of sealant under the metal sheeting, give it a good squish down then put more around the sides to keep the rain out.

1 hour ago, ronnietucker said:

I used some of this roof flashing stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I3I8NMM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously, you'd need to get it with a hole the diameter of your flue.

The metal sheet it's on can easily be cut with scissors and shaped (eg: curve, or whatever) and once the flue is through the rubber it won't leak. The rubber is, of course, special heat resistant stuff.

Just be sure to put a fair amount of sealant under the metal sheeting, give it a good squish down then put more around the sides to keep the rain out.

Is that specifically a high temperature rubber? For a flexible flashing you just pass the flue through, I would prefer to go with something like this:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Dektite-high-temperature-flashing.html .

dektite-high-temperature-flashing-b.jpg

But on a narrowboat you really want a chimney collar and a removable chimney (for low bridges).

7247_450_450.jpg

Edited by David Mack

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Is that specifically a high temperature rubber? I would prefer to go with something like this:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Dektite-high-temperature-flashing.html

I would rather have something to stand the chimney on Roof Collar 6". Suitable for all Solid Fuel Stove Installation's, to fit either the 4"OD or 4"NB Steel Flue Pipe.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Is that specifically a high temperature rubber? For a flexible flashing you just pass the flue through, I would prefer to go with something like this:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Dektite-high-temperature-flashing.html .

dektite-high-temperature-flashing-b.jpg

But on a narrowboat you really want a chimney collar and a removable chimney (for low bridges).

7247_450_450.jpg

I would suggest also for a GRP cruiser being used on canals unless the chimney or flue have been fettled so they are a sliding fit and the chimney can be removed with ease.

11 hours ago, Bee said:

Yeah, it was the worst case scenario really, just that I often see boats with a pile of old wet logs and pallet wood on the roof that has been dragged out of the cut. Genuine wood burning stoves certainly are different from multifuel, I have a 'multifuel' stove in the house that is great on coal but useless on wood, even dry wood. I think the wood pile is a bit of an obsession in France, the biggest winter store of wood we have seen was considerably bigger than the house it was attached to and I reckon must have contained wood from the ark.

I have no idea what the "IN" topic of conversation in the UK but in rural France it's always the size/condition of the wood pile, as I service logging kit/saws etc.for a commercial concern part of my wages is wood for firewood It worries me seeing folk burning pallet wood more so the blue/green coloured as they are anti rot treated with some real nasty liquid that is VERY toxic if burned in an enclosed space

• 3 months later...
On 22/06/2018 at 08:33, X Alan W said:

I have no idea what the "IN" topic of conversation in the UK but in rural France it's always the size/condition of the wood pile, as I service logging kit/saws etc.for a commercial concern part of my wages is wood for firewood It worries me seeing folk burning pallet wood more so the blue/green coloured as they are anti rot treated with some real nasty liquid that is VERY toxic if burned in an enclosed space

Hi all-please forgive the intrusion but haven’t figured out how to just ask a question yet and this topic is related to my problem. I have a bubble back cabin stove which burns logs but am in dry dock in a smokeless zone for the winter so have been burning smokeless coal. It’s been fine but last night boat kept filling up with smoke! It was pouring out of the top vents - is this the dreaded down draft I’ve heard about?  What do I need to do to prevent please?

28 minutes ago, adorabelle63 said:

Hi all-please forgive the intrusion but haven’t figured out how to just ask a question yet and this topic is related to my problem. I have a bubble back cabin stove which burns logs but am in dry dock in a smokeless zone for the winter so have been burning smokeless coal. It’s been fine but last night boat kept filling up with smoke! It was pouring out of the top vents - is this the dreaded down draft I’ve heard about?  What do I need to do to prevent please?

First thing. Make sure your flue is clear, and no debris on back boiler or baffle plate if your stove has one. 

In very gusty conditions it can be a challenge to prevent a bit of smoke entering the boat. 

You can buy chimney cowls that block the wind that will try and prevent this, but i have never tried one. Also "h" shaped chimneys available to prevent dowdraft, or this type :

17-vedette_without_pot.jpg

Edited by rusty69

Thanks - I have a cookie hat on the chimney which is double skinned 18 inch and the fire was burning ok on Sunday evening so am fairly sure the flue is clear- doesn’t have a back burner - I will clean everything today and have another go but am anxious as this wasn’t a bit of smoke - it filled the whole boat! I had to remove everything out of the grate to stop it and then open doors front and back to clear the air- smoke alarms screaming all the while lol 

31 minutes ago, adorabelle63 said:

Thanks - I have a cookie hat on the chimney which is double skinned 18 inch and the fire was burning ok on Sunday evening so am fairly sure the flue is clear- doesn’t have a back burner - I will clean everything today and have another go but am anxious as this wasn’t a bit of smoke - it filled the whole boat! I had to remove everything out of the grate to stop it and then open doors front and back to clear the air- smoke alarms screaming all the while lol 

If it is a true Woodburner with no grate, you may have trouble burning smokless fuel. 

Smokless likes air from below, whilst wood generally from above. 

Edited by rusty69

56 minutes ago, adorabelle63 said:

If the firebox has a riddle-able grate with lots of slots and holes, it's multi fuel burner so can burn smokeless, but if it's an almost solid plate it's a woodburner and you shouldn't.

Did the smoke occur during normal running or when you were trying to light it?  In my experience, both in the house and on the boat (a Bubble), heavy smoke in the box coming out through the vents only occurs when there's very cold air in the flue (which tries to fall) stopping the warmer smoke from rising. I've never had such an issue with a properly burning stove, but too much fuel at once can also cool the firebox and cause smoke.   When things are properly hot you tend not to generate smoke and the hot flue has plenty of draw to clear combustion products upwards.  

Does any of that chime with what you're experiencing?

Thanks Yes all of the above! I am going to try again this morning as it’s a bit chilly lol

the paperwork with the stove says it’s multi fuel although Bubble use logs in it all the time.

i think I may be putting too much in the grate - thanks again ?

9 minutes ago, adorabelle63 said:

Thanks Yes all of the above! I am going to try again this morning as it’s a bit chilly lol

the paperwork with the stove says it’s multi fuel although Bubble use logs in it all the time.

i think I may be putting too much in the grate - thanks again ?

Do please as others have said check your flue, a torch is great for this especialy if someone can look for light at the other end. Stoves can be burning well one day and blocked the next.

If the stove has a flue damper (moveable flap in the flue just above the stove), then that can very suddenly become blocked if in the closed or almost closed position.  It's otherwise quite unusual for a flue to become suddenly blocked as you describe, unless there is a sharp bend somewhere.

Hi- no bends -flue clean-been fine up to now but been really windy past couple of days. Not risking lighting this eve as filled boat with thick smoke again this morning- am parked by quite a high building so think I need longer chimney and spinning cowl....think I will dig out an alternative heat source for windy weather for now ?

12 hours ago, adorabelle63 said:

Is this a covered dry dock?