Big DIY Rust repair. Boat sprayed with Two pack.

MartOBeirne

Featured Posts

Hi folks.

My boat was sprayed in 2012 by a car sprayer using 2 pack. Process of corrosion started to panel directly underneath the chimney. Problem won't recur.

The obviously damaged area has been grinded out and vactan applied. The damaged area occured to the background black colour and also the cream coloured stripe. 

I was planning on a DIY car panel style repair. After filling and priming, using aerosols.

It's a big patch. Looking at it now, the corrosive process has effected the paint in a larger area but perhaps not penetrated it. I'm thinking of taking the whole end section of the panel back to metal. From roof line to gunnel. 

I'm not sure now what's best. If it I should investigate conventional  boat paints with application by roller and brush and lots of flatting. Or if I should stick to a rattle can method. Perhaps there is a chemical reason with the different paint options to have to treat this like a car repair? I'll sus how to add pics and include in mo.

Thanks

Mart

https://postimg.cc/image/cbnykmhtd/

https://postimg.cc/image/eg8blpr5t/

Edited by MartOBeirne
Adding image links

I've just taken the entire stern deck back to metal and applied 3 coats of jotamastic 87 epoxy. Some parts were heavily pitted. I plan to apply 2 coats of Hemple/Blakes undercoat /primer and then 2 coats of international interdeck. Obviously being a deck I'm not looking for a perfect finish. 

IMG_20180617_194031.jpg

IMG_20180617_193008.jpg

One day I mixed up too much paint. This is what it looked like after a day in the pot. It's like an inch and a half of hard plastic at the bottom. 

IMG_20180617_193124.jpg

Edited by blackrose