Rochdale Canal

dmr

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, NickF said:

If you do open the gates of Saterhebble to give yourself more space you will (I think) need a calder and hebble handspike.

Althogh having checked out  my photo unless it has changed you can open the gate paddle with a windlass

DSCF0038.JPG.939391f70e0231c51bbf781d9c5dd02b.JPG

I did set one C&H lock with an 8' boat pole. Two boats, one hand spike between us. My boat arrived first and the spike was with the other boat. It works fine, but is a bit awkward to carry around. Also doesn't give you that "Me Og. Cave woman" vibe that carrying a hand spike along the towpath does. 

Jen

17 hours ago, NickF said:

If you do open the gates of Saterhebble to give yourself more space you will (I think) need a calder and hebble handspike.

Althogh having checked out  my photo unless it has changed you can open the gate paddle with a windlass

DSCF0038.JPG.939391f70e0231c51bbf781d9c5dd02b.JPG

Better check your photos again.  That's not Salterhebble Top, which does in fact need a handspike for all four paddles.  The pictured lock is Elland Lock, which the OP will not reach.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Better check your photos again.  That's not Salterhebble Top, which does in fact need a handspike for all four paddles.  The pictured lock is Elland Lock, which the OP will not reach.

Salterhebble Top Lock. There is an old building beside it. I assume a toll office.

DSCN0683.JPG

• Greenie 1

On 22/06/2018 at 15:06, Mac of Cygnet said:

You are dead right ... my apologies .... I did wonder where i was standing to take the photo as that position at Salterhebble would be in the canal!

I saw the building in my photo and assumed it was Salterbhebble....I should have double checked.

Edited by NickF