Rochdale Canal

dmr

Featured Posts

Our annual trip to Liverpool has obviously hit a problem so instead we are thinking about having a look at the Rochdale. We are just under 71 foot long and maybe 32 inches deep. Is this viable or insanity??? Also, we will need to wind at the end and come back again, where is the last place that we can safely wind?.

..............Dave

Yes. Fulbourne at 71 ft 6 in long and 3 ft draught has done it, as have other full length ex working boats. Not problem free, but no major problems. 

You can wind at various places along the canal, at the junction of the Rochdale and Calder and Hebble at Sowerby Bridge or you can carry on along the C&H and what's left of the Halifax branch, where there is plenty of room to turn right at the end.

There are wolves at the summit! But if you are feeling brave, if you need help coming out of Manchester you can ask CART for a Volunteer. Ian Mack, sometimes of this forum, helped us. 

If you come across a low pound just fill it. But I'm sure you knew that, some don't and ring cart, who go and let water down from the same place you would. There's one day of grot through Newton heath, a couple of hours of semi grot in Rochdale, apart from that it's beautiful. 

We are intending to join an organised cruise from New Islington up to the "Summit" but will then go on right to the end and return a week or two or three later. Some help with the Manchester locks on the return would be great. Hopefully will meet the volunteers on the way up and get some contact details.

.............Dave

Ah, great, I have a few bits of work around then but would like to come down and help the convoy. If I have enough time I will be bringing my boat down from Summit to Littleborough, whatever I'll be around, whatever I'll be around and about at the event. Do you know what day the convoy is planning to come up from New Islington?

14 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

Are the locks through Manchester (Rochdale 9) locked at night?

As far as I know the flights on the Rochdale are no longer locked at night.

I was thinking of the flight down from the summit, so not certain about the Manchester locks...

Edited by NB Esk
Misread

3 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Ah, great, I have a few bits of work around then but would like to come down and help the convoy. If I have enough time I will be bringing my boat down from Summit to Littleborough, whatever I'll be around, whatever I'll be around and about at the event. Do you know what day the convoy is planning to come up from New Islington?

Sorry for slow reply, boating!

Dates here:

https://summitsup.org/boat-rally/

...........Dave

Thanks, I know when it is, I know the organisers.

There's a lass Sam who now lives at Warland and who is bringing her boat up with the convoy from New Islington. I hadn't seen the proposed dates for the convoy on the website, now I have I'll see what I can do to come and help. My mooring is at Warland locks 35/36 pound. Probably the highest ordinary mooring on the network. (not counting standedge trip boats!) 

24 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Thanks, I know when it is, I know the organisers.

There's a lass Sam who now lives at Warland and who is bringing her boat up with the convoy from New Islington. I hadn't seen the proposed dates for the convoy on the website, now I have I'll see what I can do to come and help. My mooring is at Warland locks 35/36 pound. Probably the highest ordinary mooring on the network. (not counting standedge trip boats!) 

I think it was Sam who we met at Middlewich and who told us about this event. We were talking to a Mr Parry at the time so hopefully he will make sure there is plenty of water at the summit.?

...............Dave

The Rochdale in my experience is fine. Must have done it 5 or 6 times now and never had any problems anywhere apart from the odd low pound.

There's a few (3?) locks which can only accommodate 1 long boat at a time look out for the warning signs on locks 47, 38/39 and 5. 

The trip though Manchester is slog especially if you do it from Chatterton to Castlefield as we do. Rochdale is a dump but at lock 50 you may encounter the gentlemen's morning drinking club. A bit intimidating at first glance but they are usually very friendly, very helpful and very drunk. Yes there are wolves on the summit but they only kill and eat softy saverners. From the summit down to Sowerby Bridge it's all very nice especially Hebden Bridge. 

19 minutes ago, Midnight said:

The Rochdale in my experience is fine. Must have done it 5 or 6 times now and never had any problems anywhere apart from the odd low pound.

There's a few (3?) locks which can only accommodate 1 long boat at a time look out for the warning signs on locks 47, 38/39 and 5. 

The trip though Manchester is slog especially if you do it from Chatterton to Castlefield as we do. Rochdale is a dump but at lock 50 you may encounter the gentlemen's morning drinking club. A bit intimidating at first glance but they are usually very friendly, very helpful and very drunk. Yes there are wolves on the summit but they only kill and eat softy saverners. From the summit down to Sowerby Bridge it's all very nice especially Hebden Bridge. 

I guess its still a bit more sexist up North. The drinking clubs at Ryders Green and Leigh both allow female members, though probably not ladies, and they also don't confine themselves to the mornings.

...............Dave

On 20/06/2018 at 18:54, dmr said:

Our annual trip to Liverpool has obviously hit a problem so instead we are thinking about having a look at the Rochdale. We are just under 71 foot long and maybe 32 inches deep. Is this viable or insanity??? Also, we will need to wind at the end and come back again, where is the last place that we can safely wind?.

..............Dave

You can certainly wind at Sowerby Bridge here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7100978,-1.9010751,108m/data=!3m1!1e3

and I guess you could turn 72ft abover Salterhebble Locks .. here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6986675,-1.8574054,107m/data=!3m1!1e3

Or may be even at the and of the arm that goes from Salterhebble towards Halifax .... here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7018514,-1.8537953,64m/data=!3m1!1e3

Have fun!

7 hours ago, NB Esk said:

As far as I know the flights on the Rochdale are no longer locked at night.

I was thinking of the flight down from the summit, so not certain about the Manchester locks...

Some but not all of the locks will require your square socket security key, day or night.

6 minutes ago, graemejwalker said:

Some but not all of the locks will require your square socket security key, day or night.

Ah no, that's not what was meant, at one time some of the flights were padlocked.

25 minutes ago, graemejwalker said:

I thought it was all (except Tuel Lane which is manned)

3 minutes ago, graemejwalker said:

Not sure we have one of these but could maybe improvise??

Did have an anti-vandal key but fear that is no longer politically correct.

Had a handcuff key but you never see handcuffs in Birmingham.

Have a water conservation key but that's a bit of a mouthful.

Have a spare one too as dropping one in the cut in a bad place would not be good, should maybe have two spares????

No plans to be doing Manchester at Night.

...............Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Not sure we have one of these but could maybe improvise??

Did have an anti-vandal key but fear that is no longer politically correct.

Had a handcuff key but you never see handcuffs in Birmingham.

Have a water conservation key but that's a bit of a mouthful.

Have a spare one too as dropping one in the cut in a bad place would not be good, should maybe have two spares????

No plans to be doing Manchester at Night.

...............Dave

Handcuff key is what you need

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/302775603678?chn=ps&adgroupid=54300448927&rlsatarget=pla-398490654416&abcId=1130076&adtype=pla&merchantid=7171444&poi=&googleloc=9045101&device=c&campaignid=1029942144&crdt=0

and I can confirm from personal experience that they do not float so carrying a spare or two is a good idea!

Edited by NickF

43 minutes ago, NickF said:

You can certainly wind at Sowerby Bridge here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7100978,-1.9010751,108m/data=!3m1!1e3

and I guess you could turn 72ft abover Salterhebble Locks .. here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6986675,-1.8574054,107m/data=!3m1!1e3

Or may be even at the and of the arm that goes from Salterhebble towards Halifax .... here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7018514,-1.8537953,64m/data=!3m1!1e3

Have fun!

Yes all of those places. And you can go right into Salterhebble top lock, but you won't be able to shut the top gates!

You can also wind above Tuel Lane Lock.

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes all of those places. And you can go right into Salterhebble top lock, but you won't be able to shut the top gates!

If you do open the gates of Saterhebble to give yourself more space you will (I think) need a calder and hebble handspike.

Althogh having checked out  my photo unless it has changed you can open the gate paddle with a windlass

DSCF0038.JPG.939391f70e0231c51bbf781d9c5dd02b.JPG

Edited by NickF

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I think the Tuel lane hole is shown as 55 foot in Nicholsons???????.

Like the idea of going into a short lock to wind.

...............Dave

1 minute ago, NickF said:

If you do open the gates of Saterhebble to give yourself more space you will (I think) need a calder and hebble handspike.

Have seen one of those, not sure I want to acquire a handspike to not go through a lock though!

..................Dave

• Greenie 1

Just now, dmr said:

...............Dave

I've never winded there, so you might be right. This winding hole was put in when this was an isolated section, and I don't suppose there were many 70 footers on it then.

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

...............Dave

Have seen one of those, not sure I want to acquire a handspike to not go through a lock though!

..................Dave

Sorry Dave ,.. I have edited my post above, I think I am wrong, the gate paddles will take a windlass.