Railings for Manchester Canals

Mike C

Featured Posts

Given what he was up against, and given that Manchester would probably vote for a monkey if it was on a Labour ticket, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion, and better then the blue alternative.

He certainly talks the talk, but I think the jury is out on the walk. A friend of mine lives in Leigh where he was MP for a long time. Before he became mayor, and probably when he was in the running for Labour leader, she said he was always there for a photo opportunity, promising to make things better, but not much happened.

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

No nothing at all. Like not donating 15% of his mayoral salary to homelessness charities? Oh, wait a minute ...

Besides which, much of his work has been hampered and delayed by a central government paralysed by all the Brexit arsing about.

I take, it, however, that you were not one of the 63% who voted for him, and do not live in any of the ten Greater Manchester boroughs, all of which returned a majority vote for him?

I live in Stockport, I didn't vote for him. Andy Burnham is probably the finest example I've ever seen of a reactionary politician. It seems he goes from cause to cause, Hillsborough, the homeless in Manchester, making grandstanding speeches to the appreciation of many. He follows this up with: very little. The man has no vision whatsoever, all he does is react to populist causes. 

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

To quote others on another thread "you lost - get over it!"

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, he doesn't actually do anything. I see he's committed to ending homelessness in Manchester, let's see how he does with that one. Listening to him talk last week during a meeting on the subject, one of his proposals is to implement a county wide registration scheme for private landlords. Quite how adding a further inflationary pressure to a market already over subscribed in terms of demand is going to help the homeless, you can only wonder. There again, it brought lots of applause from the audience, so that's OK then.

Edited by The Welsh Cruiser

I am not a supporter of these railings and also started a counter petition to oppose the original petition, obviously not successfully. Given my recent experience of going through Netherton Tunnel,( https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/14869/netherton-tunnel   ) isn't this just another piece of kit open to vandalism? Presumably if they are damaged in the same way they will then have to shut the towpath altogether, as they have done in Netherton, wont they?

• 1 month later...

The modern developments of bars and restaurants has created the present danger, where those under the influence of alcohol may fall into a lock or the canal. The recent case of a student from Bolton, drowning in the Rochdale Canal, is a case in point. The do-gooder-brigade would probably insist on railings along the canal towpath to reduce risk, but such a suggestion would hinder the boater, perhaps to such an extent that would resist using fenced in waterways.

• 1 month later...
On 25/03/2019 at 12:10, The Welsh Cruiser said:

The mayor is too busy 'saying the right things' to actually do anything.

As I understand it the Mayor's office is right next to the canal where the wicker horse stands so he sees the canal every day.

• 3 weeks later...

There were reports on the internet of people being pushed into canal and speculation to whether such a person exists. That some of those drowned, had at their inquests an open verdict returned still fuel the suspicion that the MANCHESTER PUSHER is, or was, real. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/03/2019 at 15:50, Machpoint005 said:

I take, it, however, that you were not one of the 63% who voted for him, and do not live in any of the ten Greater Manchester boroughs, all of which returned a majority vote for him?

Only 29% turnout, the other 71% did not want an elected mayor and voted with their feet by not walking to the polling stations. Andy Burnham is a photo opportunist, shame he was not as on the ball when he was health secretary overseeing all the deaths in Stoke.

On 26/03/2019 at 18:14, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I am not a supporter of these railings and also started a counter petition to oppose the original petition, obviously not successfully. Given my recent experience of going through Netherton Tunnel,( https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/14869/netherton-tunnel   ) isn't this just another piece of kit open to vandalism? Presumably if they are damaged in the same way they will then have to shut the towpath altogether, as they have done in Netherton, wont they?

That link comes up as page not found.

On 30/07/2019 at 15:01, Wanderer Vagabond said:

It's because the railings have now been fixed so the CRT page has been deleted.

Good. So now the drunks can find even more inventive ways to drown themselves,perhaps enlisting the help of their drunken mates to tip them over the railings.

What will Manchester do if drunks start falling under trams and buses?

27 minutes ago, DRP said:

Good. So now the drunks can find even more inventive ways to drown themselves,perhaps enlisting the help of their drunken mates to tip them over the railings.

What will Manchester do if drunks start falling under trams and buses?

I think we might be at cross purposes here, the earlier link posted referred to the broken railings in Netherton Tunnel that have now been repaired. I do still think the railings in Manchester are a dumb idea, if only because if someone falls in it makes it a whole lot more difficult to get them out again.

27 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I think we might be at cross purposes here, the earlier link posted referred to the broken railings in Netherton Tunnel that have now been repaired. I do still think the railings in Manchester are a dumb idea, if only because if someone falls in it makes it a whole lot more difficult to get them out again.

We were at cross purposes here, and if the railings in Netherton were fixed, it's just as well. As far as Manchester is concerned, it's always been awkward enough to boat those locks, without trying to defeat Darwinism,and making it more difficult, just because drunks fall in and drown.

I'll try harder to keep up in future☺️