Boat name: Punning assistance required.

NealSmith100

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, ianali said:

Boat names often intrigue me. I often wonder where certain names come from. 

Me too. I have never seen one which looks remotely like a kingfisher.

Our last one was 'Batto'. It was a boat and I taught French.

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

you could always have the boats name, and then Mason & Smith Carrying Co. or similar, or would that offend the historical types?

It probably would. There are not many narrow boats left which actually carry cargo (mostly coal), but the words Carrying Co. appear on many ex-working boats still painted as they were in their working days, in the colours of some company that used to operate them. To me that's fine, it's a connection to their history.

But it looks a bit silly on a boat that's had its whole hold converted into cabin space, and would look very silly on a boat that never carried cargo.

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

...alas...

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

...alas...

Alias? 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Me too. I have never seen one which looks remotely like a kingfisher.

Our last one was 'Batto'. It was a boat and I taught French.

I like that. Our present boat is named after a saxophonist. It was an obvious choice for us. I guess most names we see on narrowboats mean something to the owners.

29 minutes ago, David Mack said:

...alas...

16 minutes ago, ianali said:

Alias

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And a decade later Mel Smith and Griff Rees Jones appeared in a show "Alas, Smith and Jones".

I love the sound that some jokes make... that whooshing sound as they fly over someone’s head... 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NealSmith100 said:

So....with the imminent boat purchase, we need a name and I thought it might be nice if we named it after our respective mother's in some kind of clever witty pun

Please don't. 

Do you laugh out loud at other boats with punny names or just roll your eyes and yawn, like most peeps do?

I was once advised never to choose a name for a dog, that you'd be embarrassed to shout in a park at night.

I think similar advice should be considered regarding boat names.

Picture the scene as you ...... book your boat into a marina/dry dock for blacking/arrange engine work/insurance

and the enquirer asks "And the boat's name?"

Not great if the answer is R. Swipe or similar.

Just saying.

Rog

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Peter X said:

It probably would. There are not many narrow boats left which actually carry cargo (mostly coal), but the words Carrying Co. appear on many ex-working boats still painted as they were in their working days, in the colours of some company that used to operate them. To me that's fine, it's a connection to their history.

But it looks a bit silly on a boat that's had its whole hold converted into cabin space, and would look very silly on a boat that never carried cargo.

Except arguably the boat would be carrying Mr Smith and his wife who was born a Mason..........

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, dogless said:

I was once advised never to choose a name for a dog, that you'd be embarrassed to shout in a park at night.

Indeed, we once bought two kittens which my wife names "Bubble" and "Squeak".

They never got lost together, and I felt a right fool calling out into the night "Bubble, Bubble" or even worse "Squeak, Squeak" ? 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, we once bought two kittens which my wife names "Bubble" and "Squeak".

They never got lost together, and I felt a right fool calling out into the night "Bubble, Bubble" or even worse "Squeak, Squeak" ? 

My neighbour has a cat called "Lola". That Kinks' track is a real earworm ... I can't help singing "L-O-L-A Lola" to myself when she calls it in.

8 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Excargo carrying co? What about something truly original, Dreamcatcher, Narrow Escape, Dunmoorin. 

...or perhaps, if you intend being a CMer, Dunmovin.

Just seen a boat go past my mooring called Dick Terrapin ?

Wouldn't really have noticed him (I was browsing the forum) but he used his bow thruster to navigate through the bridge on a straight bit of canal.

This is the second time in less than a week I have seen using a bow thruster to  navigate in a straight line ???.

On Sunday as I was coming up the two Glascote Locks a replica Small Northwich was using his to steer between the two locks ???

Well, even a novice such as I, with my many failings and expected need to use a bow thruster at times,. I imagine (I've never been on a boat with one yet) can manage a straight line between locks ok.

But I guess if that makes you comfortable and guarantees everything goes perfectly. then that is sort of what they are there for!

(I now expected to get lambasted! :) )