Warwick to Braunston

Midnight Rider

Featured Posts

And the Stag in Offchurch is less than  a mile, on the other side of the canal to Radford Semele.  Went there about 5 years ago and was very fine food.

http://www.thestagatoffchurch.com/

And they have Merlot on the wine list:  https://static1.squarespace.com/static/525dae7be4b0f07bb3defa19/t/59f9a0d08e7b0fbba452afac/1509531864988/06+-+17+The+Stag+V6+copy.pdf

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

And the Stag in Offchurch is less than  a mile, on the other side of the canal to Radford Semele.  Went there about 5 years ago and was very fine food.

http://www.thestagatoffchurch.com/

And they have Merlot on the wine list:  https://static1.squarespace.com/static/525dae7be4b0f07bb3defa19/t/59f9a0d08e7b0fbba452afac/1509531864988/06+-+17+The+Stag+V6+copy.pdf

It’s a lovely pub. Is, or was owned by the same people that run the Moorings in Royal Leamington Spa.

1 hour ago, Midnight Rider said:

Many thanks for all the replies. We should be able to sort something out from all that. The break is from Tuesday afternoon until Saturday morning & is indeed from Warwick so the crew will have to work!

Have you told them how many locks it is, or is that going to be a nice surprise for them ?.  The extra day should give you the flexibility to stop at Long Itchington, the Two Boats is the best pub on the route in my opinion.

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

Have you told them how many locks it is, or is that going to be a nice surprise for them ?.  The extra day should give you the flexibility to stop at Long Itchington, the Two Boats is the best pub on the route in my opinion.

No --- if they can't take a joke, they shouldn't have joined! We will give the Two Boats a try, thanks.

On 20/06/2018 at 20:50, Dr Bob said:

I would second that.  We never go past without stopping for a pulled pork Burger.

I'll definitely have to give that a go next time we go that way.

I must have been lucky with the Blue Lyas. As I recall we had a good meal, good beer and it was quiet on our one and only visit. Not the height of summer though, nor a weekend.

2 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I read that sentence to mean that the building, not the canal, had been there for 300 years.

http://www.theadmiralnelson.co.uk/history/

Missed that although the actual sentence in the article implied that the canal has been there for 300 years though

"The Nelson has always been a meeting point for boaters with stories of canal trips around England, and has been for 300 years"

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Missed that although the actual sentence in the article implied that the canal has been there for 300 years though

"The Nelson has always been a meeting point for boaters with stories of canal trips around England, and has been for 300 years"

It was also where Leslie Morton held court, fired and rehired his steerers.

Admiral Nelson1.jpg

Edited by Ray T

On 20/06/2018 at 00:12, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh but The Cuttle is a FANTASTIC pub for good beer. 

Dunno about their wine.

The cuttle had some surprisingly good bands last time we were there.

On 20/06/2018 at 08:25, Dr Bob said:

Going west to east....

The Cape is still very good but can be lively if you're after a quiet meal.

There is a canalside pub in Leamington, just past Lidl ....forgot the name. Never been in but often tempted. The 'wayside' or something like that.

Then you get to the Fusilier. Nuff said.

The two boats is a cracking pub with good beer and decent food. Usually plenty of places to park before the cuttle bridge.

The blue Lias. Been in once. Never again. Didn't like the food and in summer it is a holiday camp.

The Boat (top of Stockton). Very good. Best to ring ahead and book a table. 

Slight detour for the Folly. Good pub, our local, but mooring can be busy. In season most of the moorings at the bottom of the locks are full by 5 or 6. We always book a table if eating. If full come back to before Napton junction and park before the bridge by Napton boatyard and walk up to crossroads in Napton, 200 yards.........to the Kings head. Good pub. Food is a bit formal.

The Olive Bush nr bridge 101/102. A good 20mins walk from the canal but great pub. Must book for food.

Never drank merlot in any of them

I haven't been into the boat but it looked very nice when we passed it earlier in the year, their website suggested a place that might do some good wines. 

On 20/06/2018 at 16:45, ianali said:

It’s a lovely pub. Is, or was owned by the same people that run the Moorings in Royal Leamington Spa.

It was run by Melvyn Hayes at one time

p01h8vdl.jpg

• 2 months later...

Reporting back after the short break last week. Didn't get very far, only as far as Long Itchington. It would have meant going up the Stockton flight only to come back more or less straight away. 

The 2 Boats was indeed very good & in fact we had meals there on 2 nights of the trip. The Cuttle is a strange place. We went in for a drink one lunchtime & it was deserted. They have moorings at the bottom of their garden & even though the towpath moorings were full. no boats moored there.

On the way back we stopped at the Moorings pub in Leamington. It's a restaurant really, very good but pricey.

• Greenie 1

On 19/06/2018 at 23:26, Midnight Rider said:

I'm taking the other half & two friends --- all novice boaters ---- on a short break in September. Going from Kate Boats at Warwick & heading towards Braunston. I haven't been on this part of the G.U. for many years, so, any canalside pubs worth stopping at? Dog friendly if possible.

A good pub is one that will not let dogs in.

• Angry 1

34 minutes ago, Halsey said:

As do most of us I'm sure…………………...

Give me a pub with dogs rather than "little darlings" any day

The Swan in Stone used to allow dogs but not kids. I don't know if this is still the case.

3 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

A good pub is one that will not let dogs in.

It would appear that you don't use many canalside pubs then or the cafe at Fradley now called the Laughing Duck. Even in the upmarket Moorings there was an area that we could have taken the dog in. As it happens, we didn't.

16 minutes ago, Midnight Rider said:

It would appear that you don't use many canalside pubs then or the cafe at Fradley now called the Laughing Duck. Even in the upmarket Moorings there was an area that we could have taken the dog in. As it happens, we didn't.

An occasional pub gives your dog a treat (the William in Alrewas comes to mind) but the Moorings sell them to you, albeit presented in a nice bowl!