Lister engineer required

Jon57

Featured Posts

Hi I'm on the little Ouse and my Lister jp3m has started to expell the water from the header tank. All ok untill thermostat opened up when the engine reached 65 degrees . Small amount of steam from no 3 cylinder next to flywheel. Suspect blown head gasket . No signs of water in the oil. So can anyone recommend a engineer or boatyard who can help. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There's a guy at Bronte Boats who does a lot with Listers. I can get his contact details tomorrow but you should be able to find him via the web. 

Dave is probably further from Norfolk than I am, and I'm too far away!

Just moored up . Skin tank bled again. 3 litres of water added. Boiling over worse when under heavy load. Thanks experience

It's got the original pump which was serviced and repaired by the late Tim leach.

6 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Just moored up . Skin tank bled again. 3 litres of water added. Boiling over worse when under heavy load. Thanks experience

It's got the original pump which was serviced and repaired by the late Tim leach.

The piston pump?

Is the silencer jacket full of air?

Edited by RLWP

1 minute ago, Jon57 said:

The original one. Serviced and repaired by the late Tim leach. Should mention the engine is a jp3m. Yes it's the piston one. Sorry about the last post fat fingers small screen.

OK, check the silencer bleed, I think you'll find the water jacket full of air

Richard

If you suspect the head gasket, one of these Ebay kits is very effective:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-3-BLOCK-COMBUSTION-LEAK-TESTER-KIT-CO2-BLOCK-HEAD-GASKET-TEST-FLUID-35d/282514603676?epid=527979883&hash=item41c72ebe9c:g:MuUAAOSwLEtYi8Gi

It will pretty quickly tell you if the gasket has gone.

Richard

18 hours ago, Jon57 said:

Small amount of steam from no 3 cylinder next to flywheel.

Just to check - the cylinder at the bow end of the engine, next to the fuel pump and the flywheel?

51 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Yes. Not a lot. Just a small wiff but at the rocker cover end

. OK - that's cylinder #1

15 minutes ago, bizzard said:

With engine hot and running, sniff in the header tank filler. If you can smell diesel exhaust from there then probably head gasket or head related.

Effectively that's what the blue liquid tester does, only it doesn't need a calibrated nose

Richard

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

. OK - that's cylinder #1

Effectively that's what the blue liquid tester does, only it doesn't need a calibrated nose

Richard

My hooter is not calibrated anymore. Sinus trouble because of 50 years of garages full of exhaust fumes, brake and clutch lining dust and paint spray fumes.  :)

5 hours ago, RLWP said:

If you suspect the head gasket, one of these Ebay kits is very effective:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-3-BLOCK-COMBUSTION-LEAK-TESTER-KIT-CO2-BLOCK-HEAD-GASKET-TEST-FLUID-35d/282514603676?epid=527979883&hash=item41c72ebe9c:g:MuUAAOSwLEtYi8Gi

It will pretty quickly tell you if the gasket has gone.

Richard

And would you recommend the DrH SuperSeal head gasket sealer if this does show a problem?  It's sounds like too much of a snake oil cure to be true.

36 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And would you recommend the DrH SuperSeal head gasket sealer if this does show a problem?  It's sounds like too much of a snake oil cure to be true.

Not likely!

The blue, colour changing fluid is a very handy diagnostic tool

The pump seems fine to me. The bottom of the header tank is 14 inches above the top of the engine. And the level of water in the tank is another 5 inches @ the moment, no smell of diesel, all the air expelled. Does the lever on the top of the water pump have to be in cool for river work or not. Engine never gets above 80 degree when warm with the lever in any position?. Thanks