Dukes cut or down to isis lock on the sheepwash channel.

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Matt. You don't hang around do you? Glad your 'home' and also pleased you enjoyed yourselves?

I  have the same dongle dangle. No contract. I'm also with three. I get 40 go for £21 a month. No Ariel but good signal, except Heyford. No surprise there.

Martyn

Contracts are good for liveaboards but the 3 PAYG deals are good value for us hobby boaters (as mrsmelly calls us ☺) as you get a decent period in which to use the data up (24 months in this case, shorter periods also available) and are not paying for unused data whilst not on the boat. Like now ?

2 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Contracts are good for liveaboards but the 3 PAYG deals are good value for us hobby boaters (as mrsmelly calls us ☺) as you get a decent period in which to use the data up (24 months in this case, shorter periods also available) and are not paying for unused data whilst not on the boat. Like now ?

I understand. 

I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise ?

I thought mentioning what I do might be of some interest to new hobby boaters (or light users) thinking about what to do for internet connectivity.

I would consider a contract if we did streaming of Netflix or Amazon, like at home, but we manage well enough with downloading stuff to take to the boat.

Dont 3 give you free internet streaming for netflix?

Thanks for the tips. I need to sort 3 main things....

1. Solar initialy,

2. Tv reception as i think the booster has given up the ghost and better options other than an old fasioned ariel must be available....looking for plug and play type stuff

3. Internet options via dongles and antennas etc.

13 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Dont 3 give you free internet streaming for netflix?

Quite possibly on some of their contracts but as hobby boaters (averaging 4 months per year on the boat) PAYG is much much cheaper than contracts for us. 

I probably spend well under £50 per year for data. Any contract with free Netflix would probably cost me at least £250 per year. Even then it wouldn't help as I'm currently with Amazon Prime rather than Netflix and, as far as I know, no contracts include that.

22 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Matt. You don't hang around do you? Glad your 'home' and also pleased you enjoyed yourselves?

I  have the same dongle dangle. No contract. I'm also with three. I get 40 go for £21 a month. No Ariel but good signal, except Heyford. No surprise there.

Martyn

Yes 3 is completely useless anywhere near Heyford. The only provider that always works there is O2 and of course giff gaff but some others work in some locations in Heyford but not 3. I have had o2 for 4 years now and I have always got a signal wherever we  have been, the worst signal was in Bristol harbour but even there it did work.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes 3 is completely useless anywhere near Heyford. The only provider that always works there is O2 and of course giff gaff but some others work in some locations in Heyford but not 3. I have had o2 for 4 years now and I have always got a signal wherever we  have been, the worst signal was in Bristol harbour but even there it did work.

O2 must have upped their game as at one time they had a poor reputation. I've never considered o2. I might do now when I can.

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

O2 must have upped their game as at one time they had a poor reputation. I've never considered o2. I might do now when I can.

The problem with o2 as far as I can see is they are not the cheapest but if they work and they do? today In Gert Bedwyn 4g and every where else so far this year twixt Burton on trent, London and Bristol. I think some peeps pay less but cost is only part of the picture innitt.

13 hours ago, Nick D said:

Ours was already on our boat when we bought it, but here's the website.  You buy the hardware from them and then get a sim on contract or payg from a broadband supplier. http://www.wifionboard.co.uk/product-category/marine/

'Ow Much????

They're using common 'MiFi' units which can be had from eBay for around 40 quid. If needed then a whip antenna (usually from China for less than £20.

That's what I did and do.

Nothing special about the MiFi units they're commonly available without a spurious number. IIRC all the ones that I have come unlocked. You need to make sure that they're the models with twin aerial sockets for 4g or single socket (these work just as well for 'normal' browsing) for 3g. 

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I have had o2 for 4 years now and I have always got a signal wherever we  have been, the worst signal was in Bristol harbour but even there it did work.

Absolutely no O2 signal by the canal in Braunston, and if you walk up onto the village or up the hill south of the marina you have to go some way to get even the flakiest connection.

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Absolutely no O2 signal by the canal in Braunston, and if you walk up onto the village or up the hill south of the marina you have to go some way to get even the flakiest connection.

Ahh thats no suprise probably the hillside? We only stopped one evening in Braunston and went to a pub so probably didnt notice. We always pass quickly if possible through touristy hot spots and try not to have to moor at them.