Dukes cut or down to isis lock on the sheepwash channel.

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't think you are but it sounds like you are advocating heading the current while waiting for a lock. Not a good idea trying to wind directly above a lock as you suffer from the pull of the weir.

No, I meant head the current when halting before using a lock, unless the Op has worked out that their boat will comfortably hold itself steady in reverse against the current. It may be impracticable to head up onto a lock mooring, because of space or other boats in the area, but it’s still good practice to know how to do such a manœuvre, as a boat handling skill

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

No, I meant head the current when halting before using a lock, unless the Op has worked out that their boat will comfortably hold itself steady in reverse against the current. It may be impracticable to head up onto a lock mooring, because of space or other boats in the area, but it’s still good practice to know how to do such a manœuvre, as a boat handling skill

I must say I have never done that and don't think I would want to in a Narrowboat .

Nor have I when coming to a lock, but I have when mooring. The principle still stands, IMHO, that practicing manœuvres is a Good Thing. Having boated on a few rivers when the flow was shall we say, exciting, it was useful to at least have practiced heading the flow a few times and learning how the boat handles then.

On 19/06/2018 at 19:05, Matt&Jo said:

Its a 1 way trip. Is this area of the thames fast flowing......or is it no different to canal....we are a dlow boat at 3mph tops.....due to a small prm 120 box. Ptopper bricking it to be honest as it 30 miles to reading...i have fast flowing river in my head but im hoping for a gentle barely flowing meander and enjoy it..... 

I did it last summer in Lutine, she of the daily oil change, overhating issues etc, and no end of other problems. Other than having to plan when to change the oil it was a breeze. Lutine could not be described as over powered 

We came out at Isis lock as I was picking up more oil at college cruisers 

1 minute ago, magpie patrick said:

I did it last summer in Lutine, she of the daily oil change, overhating issues etc, and no end of other problems. Other than having to plan when to change the oil it was a breeze. Lutine could not be described as over powered 

We came out at Isis lock as I was picking up more oil at college cruisers 

Glad you posted this. Have been on the Thames twice in last three years, both times very slow flowing. It’s a doddle, do it and enjoy.

It seems the OP hasn't logged in since 08.06 yesterday morning, wonder how they're getting on and if they've reached the river yet?

If not, and they see this post, they may be interested to hear that I went for a walk between Abingdon lock and the bridge around 10am this morning with my observations as follows...

The river is flowing very gently at the moment. I did a 13 second video on my phone which shows floating leaves moving very very slowly. I'll try adding it here soon but it's 31Mb so I'm not sure if that will work.

The lock was very busy with a constant stream of boats up and down, busier than I usually see it on a midweek school day.

Lots of boats moored on the left as you head downstream but, strangely, the section on the right by the swimming pool and play area was empty apart from one short, 40 ft or less, narrowboat.

If anyone is heading that way today you may like to note that the Pump out and Elsan at Abingdon lock are currently out of action as the tank is full. They are hoping it will be emptied today but they had also hoped that for yesterday as well so it may not be.

3 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

I'll try adding it here soon but it's 31Mb so I'm not sure if that will work.

Simplest is to upload it to YouTube and then paste the link here 

32 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Simplest is to upload it to YouTube and then paste the link here 

Ok, thanks, now uploaded my first video to YT. Here it is.

This was at about 11.30am this morning. I suspect the OP is half way down to Reading by now though.

Is anyone else wondering where Matt&Jo have got to?

Anyone spotted them South of Banbury? (the last location reported by them).

I'm wondering if, due to their tight schedule, they've already done the Thames and also how they got on, given that they were a bit nervous about the forthcoming river stages of their journey.

They don't seem to have been on here for 48 hours although they have published a YouTube video today. That only brings them as far as somewhere on the North Oxford though.

41 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

They don't seem to have been on here for 48 hours although they have published a YouTube video today. That only brings them as far as somewhere on the North Oxford though.

Yup, I saw that too. 

Hi all update. We have had patchy signal but we are at thrupp now in the pub so a short jump to dukes cut our prefered option. 

Tommorow is thames DDay. Thanks so much to all for offers of help etc. Its a bit last minute to take people up on help as it would of been handy. We were on a river today the cherwell for a super short segment but you could feel flow and landing on the lock for the oxford was faster than were used to. 

Going to be fun.

So with regards to locks do you have to wait to get access and is there landings for this...

Do you loop lines through sliding rings in the locks etc......?

Sorry if these questions sound dumb..

8 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I can answer my own question now!

They are at Thrupp and loving it. Tomorrow on to the Thames via Dukes Cut.

Good luck for tomorrow Matt&Jo.

How did you know.....? But yes as above you correct?

5 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I can answer my own question now!

They are at Thrupp and loving it. Tomorrow on to the Thames via Dukes Cut.

Good luck for tomorrow Matt&Jo.

If they're reading this thread,

have a care as you round the S-bend just after King's Lock there's a port-hand buoy near the corner. Pass it leaving it to your RIGHT (port hand is when going upstream). I got stuck there two weeks ago, but it may have been moved. Plenty of lovely clear deeper water to your left. Don't panic the S-bends between King's and Godstow (the next lock) are the last sharp one's you see. There will be 'lots' of marker buoys as you go further downstream, but they're normally placed for deeper draughted   boats so you can safely pass them quite close. Ask the Lockie and the lovely lady at the next lock if you have any questions  - they're both lovely and very informative if you show any interest.  

9 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

I have spies everywhere!

Or it could be that you replied to me on your latest YouTube posting.

I've just PM'd you regarding tomorrow... feel free to give me a ring.

12 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Hi all update. We have had patchy signal but we are at thrupp now in the pub so a short jump to dukes cut our prefered option. 

Tommorow is thames DDay. Thanks so much to all for offers of help etc. Its a bit last minute to take people up on help as it would of been handy. We were on a river today the cherwell for a super short segment but you could feel flow and landing on the lock for the oxford was faster than were used to. 

Going to be fun.

So with regards to locks do you have to wait to get access and is there landings for this...

Not dumb questions - the Thames is different. To try and answer you-

All the 'landings' - Laybys in Thames speak, are all just by the lock and have bollards that you can lasoo (try it - you'll get brownie points) If the lock keeper is on duty you'll see a sign on the board 'service' or 'unattended' can't remember  the exact words. If other boats are coming up, you'll obviously have to wait - but pop up and offer help - the lockie will explain. This is the last lock with manual gates, but if you chat he / she may give you some valuable info.

When you enter the lock you should flick a line over the bollard at the bow and another at the stern. Those are the Thames rules. Going downhill the locks are very gently, but the boat will tend to move forward - hence the two lines.

When the lock is empty switch the engine on - wait for both gates to open and proceed - you don't need to help at the bottom gate if you don't want to.

Your next lock is Godstow, before that there's a skew bridge, quite narrow, so line the boat up in advance so that you follow the skew rather than the track (not essential but more comfortable). The pub over the bridge is one of Morse's favourite so popular... Be careful at the layby - if the lock is filling as the stream will tend to drag you away, so get those lines on quickly (many boats get caught there - but no real danger). It's the first electric lock - so if it's unattended read the instructions on both the head and tail consoles before you push any buttons. Most people don't. If you do, you'll wonder why folks make a mess of it. Note that for the sluices (= paddle button) just press it until you hear a click Do Not Hold it. raising the sluices are automatic in stages with a pause between each.

Enjoy the view over the meadow.

4 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Going to be fun.

Sadly my PM'd offer of help tomorrow has not received any response. Shame, I was quite looking forward to a bit of Thames boating tomorrow, as I'm currently suffering withdrawal symptoms a week and a half after my GU trip ended. Hopefully it would also have helped Matt & Jo.

Never mind, I'll just have to manage land-living for another 12 days until my own trip on the South Oxford and the Thames gets underway.

Edited by Lily Rose

Hi all, i just want to thank everyone for there advice over the past few days ref the thames and a special thanks to Lily Rose for the offer. I would of taken you up on it but i could not open the pm due to signal at thrupp untill we were going by agenda 21 moorings the next day. It took all night to post the youtube vid.....i need a wifi antenna or some such.

It was all fine anyway the boat stopped in flow and it was not as big or scary as expected. The locks were a sinch and ive done a youtube snap of how to......for london locks for those unsure. 

Mooring was just before days lock on a farmers field and it was beautifull. 

The boat is all safe and snugg in her mooring.....for now!!!!! I cant wait to get bk on it

12 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Hi all, i just want to thank everyone for there advice over the past few days ref the thames and a special thanks to Lily Rose for the offer. I would of taken you up on it but i could not open the pm due to signal at thrupp untill we were going by agenda 21 moorings the next day. It took all night to post the youtube vid.....i need a wifi antenna or some such.

It was all fine anyway the boat stopped in flow and it was not as big or scary as expected. The locks were a sinch and ive done a youtube snap of how to......for london locks for those unsure. 

Mooring was just before days lock on a farmers field and it was beautifull. 

The boat is all safe and snugg in her mooring.....for now!!!!! I cant wait to get bk on it

Glad to hear it all went well. The area round Days Lock is very nice with good walks and great views for miles around from the top of the hill at Wittenham Clumps. I expect you had good views of the hills from where you stopped.

In a way it's just as well you weren't able to take up my offer as I would have been forced to decline at the last minute. A text arrived on my phone at 6.50am on Friday and I checked it thinking it might be you but it was from my son to say he had forgotten to tell us that it was our 6yo granddaughter's school sportsday. While I would have much preferred a few hours on the river to watching barely-organised chaos there was no way I would have been allowed to go.

it's probably obvious but presumably you stick your internet device in the window to get a signal?

I use one of these...   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5573s-320-LTE-Mobile-Hotspot-White/dp/B00XDXINEQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529920638&sr=1-4&keywords=E5573    (unlocked and not in a contract)

with one of these... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-Pay-Broadband-Data-Black/dp/B01M3VJ2B2/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529920376&sr=1-4&keywords=3+sim

and lay it on a window sill without an aerial - away from the window it won't get a signal. It's very rare that I don't get a decent 4G signal and I don't recall having any problem at Thrupp last year but maybe 3 is fine there whilst another network might not be.

Matt. You don't hang around do you? Glad your 'home' and also pleased you enjoyed yourselves?

I  have the same dongle dangle. No contract. I'm also with three. I get 40 go for £21 a month. No Ariel but good signal, except Heyford. No surprise there.

Martyn