Beta 43 ignition switch problem

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

Thanks Tony, the identification will help me.

My engine is hard against the left side of the boat and is partially covered by two (yes two) transverse bulkheads. This winter I have arranged to have the engine moved but at present the engine mountings are the least of my problems. The starter and to a lesser extent, the solenoid, just cannot be reached. Two mechanics have said that the cheapest solution, should the starter fail, would be to cut a hole in the side to replace it.

If you can establish the colour code for the start solenoid energise cable you could try measuring the voltage in the back of the multi-plug assuming you can get at it.

3 hours ago, Troyboy said:

No help to your problem but purely for my own curiosity who builds boats where to change the starter it is cheaper to cut a hole in the side ? 

My boat is one of only 11 full length boats built by Orion. The rest, except one, don't have the unusual engine position as far as I know. But the firm's owner, I am told, built a boat for himself which does have the same engine position. It is not however a Beta and perhaps access is easier.

As Orion are no more, then strictly the answer to your question is "no one now".

A more interesting question might be " why did you buy a boat knowing the potential problems posed by the unusual engine position"?

Alas the answer to that is too long for this time of the evening.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

If you can establish the colour code for the start solenoid energise cable you could try measuring the voltage in the back of the multi-plug assuming you can get at it.

Good idea, thanks Tony.

Measuring it the back of the multi-plug - or front. Just to be clear this means leaving the plug connected but pulling the soft plastic boot off one end so you can see where the cables go into the hard plastic of the plug/socket. If you are lucky the pin type probe on your muti-meter will slide into the relevant hole beside the cable and make contact. If not shove a pin or needle in there and measure from that.

Similar problem for me (Kuboto beta marine). Turned the key to heat 1 morning, nothing, turned it to start, still nothing. Kept turning it 1 way then another, & eventually it got electric & started. (quite annoying as I planned a 1 day cruise then stop for a day then another 1 day cruise, but instead had to do the whole 2 day trip in 1 day)

Anyway NB Smoko from my marina went through all the electrics with a voltmeter & has decided its a faulty isolator on the starter battery. Should be fixed today.

Edited by Ssscrudddy
Edit for Typos, apparently I cant spell Beta Marine (see what I put in Tonys post which quoted me, & as I was on PC I cant even blame it on autocorrect!

4 minutes ago, Ssscrudddy said:

Similar problem for me (Kunoto beat marine). Turned the key to heat 1 morning, nothing, turned it to start, still nothing. Kept turning it 1 way then another, & eventually it got electric & started. (quite annoying as I planned a 1 day cruise then stop for a day then another 1 day cruise, but instead had to do the whole 2 day trip in 1 day)

Anyway NB Smoko from my marina went through all the electrics with a voltmeter & has decided its a faulty isolator on the starter battery. Should be fixed today.

Would the isolator have a plastic key? If so its number one suspect. For future reference and as a diagnostic/get you home aid screw a little ball of paper/ foil up and drop it into the switch before the key. If it works go and buy a decent masters witch, not a toy.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Ssscrudddy said:

Similar problem for me (Kunoto beat marine). Turned the key to heat 1 morning, nothing, turned it to start, still nothing. Kept turning it 1 way then another, & eventually it got electric & started. (quite annoying as I planned a 1 day cruise then stop for a day then another 1 day cruise, but instead had to do the whole 2 day trip in 1 day)

My problem is slightly different; I get the usual warning lights, alarm etc when I switch on. Also the glow plugs heat normally (you can see the starter battery voltage drop when the switch is in the 'heat' position) - it's just in the 'start' position that there is nothing.

12 hours ago, frahkn said:

My problem is slightly different; I get the usual warning lights, alarm etc when I switch on. Also the glow plugs heat normally (you can see the starter battery voltage drop when the switch is in the 'heat' position) - it's just in the 'start' position that there is nothing.

First thing to check is the plastic multiplug, pull it apart, clean it, apply a bit of vaseline or silicone grease and perhaps use a tie-wrap to keep it firmly jointed if it doesn't feel rock solid. 

The main thing I wanted to say though is that you should consider not using pre heat unless you really need it. The Beta 43 hardly needs it at any time of year, but should certainly start very easily without the heaters in this weather.  Even in winter the manual recommends no more than 10 seconds iirc.

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

First thing to check is the plastic multiplug, pull it apart, clean it, apply a bit of vaseline or silicone grease and perhaps use a tie-wrap to keep it firmly jointed if it doesn't feel rock solid. 

The main thing I wanted to say though is that you should consider not using pre heat unless you really need it. The Beta 43 hardly needs it at any time of year, but should certainly start very easily without the heaters in this weather.  Even in winter the manual recommends no more than 10 seconds iirc.

Thanks for this.

I have bitten the bullet and bought a replacement ignition barrel but won't fit it until the problem becomes permanent. I can keep it as a spare in the meantime. When fitting it I will do as you say with the multiplug.

I don't normally need the pre-heat even in winter but wanted to explain that it was not a 'power at the key' situation and that the starter battery connection was good.

5 hours ago, frahkn said:

Thanks for this.

I have bitten the bullet and bought a replacement ignition barrel but won't fit it until the problem becomes permanent. I can keep it as a spare in the meantime. When fitting it I will do as you say with the multiplug.

I don't normally need the pre-heat even in winter but wanted to explain that it was not a 'power at the key' situation and that the starter battery connection was good.

I see your train of thought on the heaters bit.  Worth a mention, but glad you're already aware.

If the multi plug is easily accessed, give it a go. They're a known source of intermittent issues, sometimes inexplicable ones, and a clean and reseat is a good thing from a preventative point of view so it won't be wasted effort. Might well save you the bother of fitting the new barrelled.  Anyway,  good to see you're on top of the situation.