A new problem at Minworth second lock

haggis

Featured Posts

We have just come up Minworth and there is a new problem at the second lock. There is a boat (no apparent name) securely tied (3 ropes) and padlocked on the lock landing right outside the lock. We got a pile of wire round the prop on the approach to the lock (it is still shallow) and had to pull the boat out of the lock and past the abandoned boat. Canal is busy and an other boater said it had been there for at least a week. Why did they not leave the boat at the end of the lock landing? 

Haggis 

We have moved on and are enjoying our day and I see little point in CRT using their scarse resources chasing up an apparently selfish boater so I won't report it. 

It just peeed me off a bit bow hauling the boat past him while iain was down the weed hatch. 

Haggis 

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

We have moved on and are enjoying our day and I see little point in CRT using their scarse resources chasing up an apparently selfish boater so I won't report it. 

It just peeed me off a bit bow hauling the boat past him while iain was down the weed hatch. 

Haggis 

I would report it to Annette Vaughan who is the enforcement officer for the area. Annette.Vaughan@canalrivertrust.org.uk  The thing is  if these things go unchecked they can just proliferate. Better to nip in the bud.

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I would report it to Annette Vaughan who is the enforcement officer for the area. Annette.Vaughan@canalrivertrust.org.uk  The thing is  if these things go unchecked they can just proliferate. Better to nip in the bud.

Done. 

Haggis 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We came down Minworth on Saturday, that boat was there then.  Clearly it should not be there but it did not cause use any problem really, but single handing it would have been difficult.

Bit brave to leave a boat there unattended I’d say. I wonder if the operator is in some difficulty eg medical problem.

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Bit brave to leave a boat there unattended I’d say. I wonder if the operator is in some difficulty eg medical problem.

The guy was on the boat when we went past, he looked OK then!   Not a place I would want to stop overnight at all.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

They're not called Enforcement Officers anymore.  They're now Licence Support Officers!  :giggles:  I promise I'm not making this up!

It is definitely happening more often nowadays. I was collecting a boat early morning from Crick and as I passed Buckby top (in a car at 6am) saw a quite distinctive boat moored on the lock landing. 

As I came to Buckby top at 9.30 am the same boat was still on the lock landing with hatches open now and a CRT hopper full of cleared floating  branches and debris on the opposite landing. The moorings further back were full. Sticking the nose on the gates and letting the back end drift not very gently onto the moored boat, I crossed his back deck and went to the top gates to fill the lock. 

Lock full so I came back towards the boat and his head popped out of the back, "sorry mate, only just got here".

I just told him he was a liar and lock landings shouldn't be moored on.