Which toilet to get?

Iza

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Never heard it slop but perhaps the action in the bed is not sufficient. Its nearer 100 gallons by the way, with a warning light when 85% full.

At least I don't have to store full or empty cassettes under the bed! As for composting, I find the whole system disgusting.

Having sat on the loo with the paper to read, I don't want to see my deposits again.

What happens if it breaks or rots out as they do....................shit all over the boat

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I am really surprised how peeps can recommend carrying nearly 20kgs of weight around to dispose of .....even getting it off the boat is a chore

Hey,Mrsmelly was Noahs second in command, he knows whats what. 

We had a pump out originally. Binned it after the first year onboard! 

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

shit all over the boat

As Forest Gump said "Shit happens!", oh, and something about a box of chocolates too. 

• Haha 2

10mm & 6mm steel plate to boat building standard will take longer to rust away than I will be bothered about.

The last boat with a honey tank that I remember cutting up had the best pieces of pickled steel in the tank, the hull was rotten but the 6mm thick tank was fine.

I agree that I have seen dump through tanks that have the tops rotted away due to spillage from the lousy seals under the bowls, but not the base and sides.

I cut my tank for a level gauge 3 years ago, it was then 25 years old and was still at full thickness, so I don't think I will be having "sh@t all over the boat" as you rudely put it.

I'm sorry to receive such comments, I was merely passing on my advice based on my long boating career and experience.

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I have no dog in this fight, not because I don't have a preference or reasons for it, but because it's somehow like criticising someone's driving and the argument simply never ends! However, to make a balanced judgement for yourself, you should recognise that there is no need for chemicals in a modern pump out.  Older 'dump through' type - perhaps.

There's no need for chemicals in a cassette either, unless you're including Odourloss or any of the biological alternatives as chemicals? 

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

There's no need for chemicals in a cassette either, unless you're including Odourloss or any of the biological alternatives as chemicals? 

I'm including nothing - I was merely pointing out that the OP's assumption that the same chemicals would be used in a pump out was not the case.  I think all loo chemicals should be avoided wherever possible as it could greatly simplify waste management. I'm a bit of an enzyme fan myself, but I don't know whether these can deal sufficiently well with a dump through.

41 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm a bit of an enzyme fan myself, but I don't know whether these can deal sufficiently well with a dump through.

Odourlos is "a blend of enzymes and friendly bacteria" and as far as I know was designed for large holding tanks.

57 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm including nothing - I was merely pointing out that the OP's assumption that the same chemicals would be used in a pump out was not the case.  I think all loo chemicals should be avoided wherever possible as it could greatly simplify waste management. I'm a bit of an enzyme fan myself, but I don't know whether these can deal sufficiently well with a dump through.

Anaerobic and Aerobic ?

That's generally wants determines the 'pong-levels'.

An old country 'recipe' for a smelly septic tank was to throw in a Pheasant (dead) which allowed all sorts of 'nice' things to grow on it and reducing the smell.

Maybe a Pheasant chick in a holding tank would do the same job ?

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Anaerobic and Aerobic ?

An old country 'recipe' for a smelly septic tank was to throw in a Pheasant (dead) which allowed all sorts of 'nice' things to grow on it and reducing the smell.

Does it work with ducks!

11 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

10mm & 6mm steel plate to boat building standard will take longer to rust away than I will be bothered about.

The last boat with a honey tank that I remember cutting up had the best pieces of pickled steel in the tank, the hull was rotten but the 6mm thick tank was fine.

I agree that I have seen dump through tanks that have the tops rotted away due to spillage from the lousy seals under the bowls, but not the base and sides.

I cut my tank for a level gauge 3 years ago, it was then 25 years old and was still at full thickness, so I don't think I will be having "sh@t all over the boat" as you rudely put it.

I'm sorry to receive such comments, I was merely passing on my advice based on my long boating career and experience.

As do others with a long boating career on this forum. Perhaps their experiences differ from yours. 

Thanks everyone...

So I can weigh up all the costs (important consideration) can anyone recommend a place/ someone who can install a large waste holding tank? And what type of material this is best made from. There is space under my toilet/ bathroom for one about a meter high, a meter in width by 2 meters long.

45 minutes ago, Iza said:

Thanks everyone...

So I can weigh up all the costs (important consideration) can anyone recommend a place/ someone who can install a large waste holding tank? And what type of material this is best made from. There is space under my toilet/ bathroom for one about a meter high, a meter in width by 2 meters long.

When full that is adding 2 tonnes  (2000 litres) to the weight of the boat - unless it is running down the centre line of the boat you will have a 'huge' lean to one side.

I cannot imagine anyone giving you a price without seeing the boat and looking at the work involved in lifting floors, moving walls, whatever.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

38 minutes ago, Iza said:

Thanks everyone...

A metre tank plus 1/2 metre (?) for the bowl and seat will not be very comfortable to sit on. You need your feet on the floor... Can only sink the tank into the floor if there are no bearers in the way. OTOH that's I did and it works very well. The tank is thick plastic.

27 minutes ago, Iza said:

The tank would be sunk under the floor. So the toilet would sit on the floor. What make and size of tank do you have?

You won't get much capacity with a tank completely under the floor. In a NB the distance between the baseplate and floor is six inches or thereabouts. There should be steel bearers every two feet or so. Again not much cubic space....

If the tank is completely under the floor you'll need one with a tall pedestal - but that's no problem.

FWIW our tank sits under a the wash basin with shelves under it and the exposed bit has the loo on it - so it's not intrusive. 

I found an ex-welder who made tanks to measure in WW. Some years ago so most likely no longer around. IIRC each tank is 4 ft by 1 ft.

On 20/06/2018 at 08:36, Alan de Enfield said:

Anaerobic and Aerobic ?

Was it plucked? 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It was well and truly plucked when you stuffed it in the septic tank.

A Pheasant plucker I am not !!

Here goes:

I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's son
I'm only plucking pheasants 'till the pheasant plucker comes.

Me husband is a keeper, he's a very busy man
I try to understand him and I help him all I can,
But sometimes in an evening I feel a trifle dim
All alone, I'm plucking pheasants, when I'd rather pluck with him.

I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's mate 
I'm only plucking pheasants 'cos the pheasant plucker's late !

I'm not good at plucking pheasants, at pheasant plucking I get stuck
Though some pheasants find it pleasant I'd rather pluck a duck.
Oh plucking geese is gorgeous, I can pluck a goose with ease
But pheasant plucking's torture because they haven't any grease.

I'm not a pheasant plucker, he has gone out on the tiles
He only plucked one pheasant and I'm sitting here with piles !

You have to pluck them fresh, if it’s fresh they’re not unpleasant,
I knew a man in Dunstable who could pluck a frozen pheasant.
They say the village constable had pheasant plucking sessions
With the vicar on a Sunday ‘tween the first and second lessons.

I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's mum
I'm only plucking pheasants 'till the pheasant plucker's come.

My good friend Godfrey is most adept, he's really got the knack
He likes to have a pheasant plucked before he hits the sack.
I like to give a helping hand, I gather up the feathers, 
It's really all our pheasant plucking keeps us pair together.

I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's friend
I'm only plucking pheasants as a means unto an end !

My husband's in the forest always banging with his gun
If he could hear me half the time I'm sure that he would run,
For there's fluff in all my crannies, there's feathers up my nose
And I'm itching in the kitchen from my head down to my toes.

I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's wife 
And when we pluck together it's a pheasant plucking life !

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

May I respectfully ask you to revisit your decision on Composting toilets? It seems to me that disregarding a system which may potentially save you money, time and effort because you have had a fall out with a retailer may not be thouroughly thought through.

20 minutes ago, grahame r said:

May I respectfully ask you to revisit your decision on Composting toilets? It seems to me that disregarding a system which may potentially save you money, time and effort because you have had a fall out with a retailer may not be thouroughly thought through.

I suspect there may be other factors involved too.

One that would currently put me off a composting loo is that marinas seem to be slowly adding it to their T&C's that composting loos are not allowed