My third SmartGauge...

MtB

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It displays to three decimal places of amps/hour, so it is much more accurate than a Smartgauge.

dumbgauge.JPG

Brilliant!

But even now there still seems to be people on here who think a DumbGauge is a real thing. 

For the avoidance of doubt and for anyone still not sure, the DumbGauge is a figbox of that nice Dr Bob's imagination, designed to measure that other popular, made-up and logically-inconsistent unit of power consumption, the Amp per Hour. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Gramarr, and to enhance my scathing description of Amps per Hour :)
  • Horror 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But even now there seems to still be people on here who think a DumbGauge is a real thing. 

It must be real. It's on the intertubes, with an actual picture. You aren't allowed to put stuff on the interweb if it isn't true.

Jen

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It must be real. It's on the intertubes, with an actual picture. You aren't allowed to put stuff on the interweb if it isn't true.

Jen

I'm sensing a logical inconsistency kreeping in here!

• Haha 1

On 22/06/2018 at 13:42, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The DumbGauge is real. I built it. It generates a random number between -20 and +20 Amps per Hour and displays it. If A/hr is over zero then it lets you know your batteries are fine. If it is below zero it lets you know >

dumbgauge-knackered.JPG

You have too much time on your hands. 

On 22/06/2018 at 13:10, Dr Bob said:

....but Rusty and Mr smelly both said ecofans dont work...?

Mine is doing nothing at the moment. 

4 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

<pedant> IIRC amps are coulombs per second. Amps / hour must therefore be some kind of rate of change of charge (argh - my A level Physics was a long time ago). </pedant>

Yous haven't actually read the thread at all have you?? ?

I'm rather taken by this dumbgage, Its expensive but Jen-iw has foolishly given away a lot of info about how it works so I reckon that I can make my own with one of the ardywino thingies. As a result of this my Smartgage might be fore sale. Its a rare thing so I want big money, all three buttons work, its correctly calibrated, and has given several years of trouble free service.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

I can't even patent it now I've described how it works. Another fortune slips through my fingers.

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

I'm rather taken by this dumbgage, Its expensive but Jen-iw has foolishly given away a lot of info about how it works so I reckon that I can make my own with one of the ardywino thingies. As a result of this my Smartgage might be fore sale. Its a rare thing so I want big money, all three buttons work, its correctly calibrated, and has given several years of trouble free service.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

Right, an update. 

I spoke to the technical support bod this afternoon and he said there are no software versions that would prevent an FR. He thought the only chance was to press the buttons in really hard, which I've already done loads of times. 

However after a further 15 mins twarting about with it I finally succeeded in getting it to FR, as follows:

After restoring power with the two buttons pressed in, it displayed R 2.06 then B 2.07 as usual. At this point the screen goes blank as described in the manual, then I should let go of the buttons. When I let go immediately it just boots up into error E 01 instead of FR, but I experimented holding the buttons in for longer and longer periods before letting go.  Once I hold the buttons in with the blank display for over 10 seconds then release, FR is displayed on mine. BINGO!

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
To add a minor but important detail.
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Right, an update. 

I spoke to the technical support bod this afternoon and he said there are no software versions that would prevent an FR. He thought the only chance was to press the buttons in really hard, which I've already done loads of times. 

However after a further 15 mins twarting about with it I finally succeeded in getting it to FR, as follows:

After restoring power with the two buttons pressed in, it displayed R 2.06 then B 2.07 as usual. At this point the screen goes blank as described in the manual, then I should let go of the buttons. When I let go immediately it just boots up into error E 01 instead of FR, but I experimented holding the buttons in for longer and longer periods before letting go.  Once I hold the buttons in with the blank display for over 10 seconds then release, FR is displayed on mine. BINGO!

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

I bet Number 4 will be an even better one?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or more accurately, you have no way of knowing otherwise....

When I can be bothered (or am able) to check rested voltages against SG, they agree pretty well. I get consistent results on Kelpie for battery capacity by checking SG against AmpHours out on the Powergauge Lite, (confirming my suspicion that the batteries are stuffed :) )

The one on Gamebird is definitely pessimistic while charging : current doesn't reduce from an indicated 95% charged to a couple of hours after 100% indication.

Both work!