My third SmartGauge...

MtB

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But how else will I know if my batts are fully charged?

You should get a voltmeter, then you could see how full your gas bottles are too. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok I spoke too soon. 

There seems to be a different problem with this new one. I initially attached it to my 24v battery bank to check it, but now I've installed it on a 12v bank it is refusing to do a factory reset. 

I disconnect as per instructions, hold the two buttons down, restore power and it displays the two values as per the instructions, then the display does blank still as per instructions. On release of the buttons it fails to display Fr as the instructions say it will. It reverts to E01/lo meaning low battery voltage.

Huh. Am I doing something wrong?

Try reconnecting to the 24v bank, just to do the reset?

MP.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Try reconnecting to the 24v bank, just to do the reset?

MP.

Ok tried that now. No good, same behaviour. E 01 error message. Checking the manual this is correct behaviour for "repower up following power failure".

Looks as though I'm not holding down one or both of them buttons.

Either way if I can't FR it, this one is going back for a refund. 

Pilo shyte.

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Could they be voltage specific, and you have a 24V one?

Nope. They sense the voltage on power up and set themselves. I need to FR mine to switch to the other voltage.

If you have 3 and they are arguing clearly you need a fourth. Get the adjudicator software patch.

just checked the dumbguage 12.8v solar just switched off.

thats it after tommorrow its downhill to winter, better go to mooring.

Bugger the meter in the back cabins reading 12.9 when i plugged the phone in, better buy another one

Ok I have now purchased three smartgauges and all three have a fault, albeit different faults. Pretty pathetic really innit.

My plan now is to FR one of my other two SGs and set it to 12v, then use this one on the 24v boat. 

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok I spoke too soon. 

There seems to be a different problem with this new one. I initially attached it to my 24v battery bank to check it, but now I've installed it on a 12v bank it is refusing to do a factory reset. 

I disconnect as per instructions, hold the two buttons down, restore power and it displays the two values as per the instructions, then the display does blank still as per instructions. On release of the buttons it fails to display Fr as the instructions say it will. It reverts to E01/lo meaning low battery voltage.

Huh. Am I doing something wrong?

Have you set Menu Lock by any chance? 

Loc1 should not display, it should be Loc0. 

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Have you set Menu Lock by any chance? 

Loc1 should not display, it should be Loc0. 

No I haven't.

But if I had but not realised, the first FR turns menu lock OFF, then the second attempt does the FR. According to the manual.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

No I haven't.

But if I had but not realised, the first FR turns menu lock OFF, then the second attempt does the FR. According to the manual.

Yeah, I know. But a software revision might have changed that functionality. A quick phone call to Merlin should sort it out. 

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Either way if I can't FR it, this one is going back for a refund. 

They must've been as shocked as the rest of us when you bought a third one - surely they'll be expecting it?  ;)

58 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

They must've been as shocked as the rest of us when you bought a third one - surely they'll be expecting it?  ;)

They wouldn’t know. It’s not like you buy direct from Merlin. 

Just now, Sea Dog said:

See that little yellow wink thing... :D

They’ve put a circular out to all their suppliers: “If a gas bloke called Mike wants to buy a SmartGauge, be sure to send him one of the ‘special’ ones”...

• Haha 2

More seriously, the problem is that one of the buttons isn’t making contact when attempting the FR. Do both buttons operate normally when going through the menus?  If they do then just press harder. 

36 minutes ago, WotEver said:

More seriously, the problem is that one of the buttons isn’t making contact when attempting the FR. Do both buttons operate normally when going through the menus?  If they do then just press harder. 

Ive been pressing both buttons furiously hard  but yes this test was in my mind to do before taking steps as serious and revolutionary as ringing technical support :)

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ive been pressing both buttons furiously hard  but yes this test was in my mind to do before taking steps as serious and revolutionary as ringing technical support :)

My first Smartgauge had faulty buttons... I thought I was doing something wrong but, after a while of trying, and enquiring on here and/or YBS.com, I called Cactus and they sent it back to Merlin. Merlin supplied a new one, so the buttons must have been faulty. It’s worked fine ever since :).

i don’t think there is any doubt that it is a cheaply made instrument, with dated technology, (red LEDS, and buttons with a plasticky cover), so it wouldn’t surprise me if they get lots of returns. Given your experience so far, I think you probably need to get it returned and fixed or replaced.