Tonneau / Cratch covers

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

Hi - can anyone offer advice on cratch covers / Tonneaux?

purchasing a new boat with nothing fitted and concerned about the winter. Kinver canopies are asking about £600 for a fitted Tonneau cover, does anyone have experience elsewhere....cheaper? We’ll be Braunston area to start.

many thanks

Is the tonneau cover for a semi trad stern area? What is the concern that a cover is going to fix? Rainwater should mostly drain overboard on a well designed well deck, or engine cover. Deck boards will have a shorter life getting wet, but are cheaper than a new cover and last many years if made from something like buffalo board. For covers, generally you get what you pay for. Cheap ones fit poorly and fall to bits from UV exposure on a short time compared with well made ones and better materials.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Just now, Dunworkin said:

I’d intended it to cover the bow / well deck area....

Ah Ok. Generally known as a cratch cover. Tonneau cover in narrowboats is more used to refer to something covering the stern area. As Wotever says, you will need some wood/metalwork as well as a cover. Again, good materials like hardwood and well made costs more.  Lots of boats without, including mine. The well deck will self drain through scuppers just fine. If you want a covered space there then I am afraid it is cheque book time.

2 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

I think we will enjoy using the open space in summer months so not to bothered about a formality wooden structure, just a way of keeping the worst of the winter weather out?

Trying to understand what you mean by keeping the winter weather out. An open well deck is fine in winter. Just steel and paint and drains any water overboard. No different to the cabin roof! I assume there are doors and windows in to the cabin that will keep the rain and snow out of there. If you have anything stored in the well deck, then a tarpaulin over it will work fine.

Jen

Talk to Protective Textiles, Kingston On Thames. Our experience was brilliant products made at great prices.

Just sent them a scale drawing and it was made using a material called Top Gun in two or three weeks. Fitted exactly! And it is still good as new.

They have been at it for years apparently. There is a website.

Cheers. Mick

Yep, doors, windows ....all seems watertight and in top nick at the mo...maybe just me being over cautious. There is the gas locker and another storage locker so room for everything to be dry that needs to be stored. I was simply looking at a cover to give added protection. She’s a 2006 boat and appears to be in excellent condition.

You'll be fine honest. Sounds similar to my boat. The gas locker will have drain holes overboard by floor level (has to have to pass boat safety). The other locker will probably drain in to the well deck and the well deck will drain overboard too. Everything stays nice and dry. You would probably make things worse with condensation putting a cover over it.

Jen

5 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

Hadn’t thought about condensation...good point....! Maybe we’ll chew on it for a bit ...see how we feel nearer the end of the season....let’s at least complete the purchase and start stumbling about the network first!

cheers

Good idea. Often things you worry about when first buying a boat turn out not to be an issue. The ones that do are things you never even thought of! Enjoy your cruising.

Jen

12 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

Hadn’t thought about condensation...good point....! Maybe we’ll chew on it for a bit ...see how we feel nearer the end of the season....let’s at least complete the purchase and start stumbling about the network first!

cheers

I think your last comment above is a wise idea.  See how you get on with your new boat as it is before considering changes you're unsure of. Often, you can be pleasantly surprised by things you wouldn't have chosen.  For info, mine came with a cratch frame and cover and I wouldn't be without it, particularly in winter.  Ready use solid fuel bags live in there in the colder months, damp gear dries in there, it's a nice place to sit when the weather is a bit iffy - sometimes it's the 1st Lieutenant's patio; sometimes it's my shed.  There should be no condensation issue if there's adequate vent.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I think your last comment above is a wise idea.  See how you get on with your new boat as it is before considering changes you're unsure of. Often, you can be pleasantly surprised by things you wouldn't have chosen.  For info, mine came with a cratch frame and cover and I wouldn't be without it, particularly in winter.  Ready use solid fuel bags live in there in the colder months, damp gear dries in there, it's a nice place to sit when the weather is a bit iffy - sometimes it's the 1st Lieutenant's patio; sometimes it's my shed.  There should be no condensation issue if there's adequate vent.

This post of mine and seadog goes to prove a point. If I were you I would leave it off and see how you get on. I had a very nice oopmarket boat with a cratch and cover fitted at  the pointy end and absolutely HATED it in every way imaginable and would never EVER have one again. So there you go neither of us is right it will depend on how you get on personaly. A cover and board etc will set you back at least a  grand. The pub just down the road sells beer at £3.05 per pint so that would buy you 328 pints!! Now do you see how important a decision it is :cheers:

Tim - when/why did Whistle Stop become Blue Rinse?

Or have you changed boats again?

Apologies if I have missed something. Or if you think it's none of my business.

Edited by Lily Rose

4 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Tim - when/why did Whistle Stop become Blue Rinse?

Or have you changed boats again?

Apologies if I have missed something. Or if you think it's none of my business.

Ahh No it aint changed. I was taking the micky out of the missus the other day as to her shall we say being older than myself as I am so young and jokingly as I said at the time re named the boat after her :D I will change it back later ?

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh No it aint changed. I was taking the micky out of the missus the other day as to her shall we say being older than myself as I am so young and jokingly as I said at the time re named the boat after her :D I will change it back later ?

Carry on as you are and you’ll never get old.........

• Happy 1

7 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Carry on as you are and you’ll never get old.........

I do hope you are right..........I never want to grow up as Ive met lots of  grown ups and lots of em are miserable and take everything seriously!!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This post of mine and seadog goes to prove a point. If I were you I would leave it off and see how you get on. I had a very nice oopmarket boat with a cratch and cover fitted at  the pointy end and absolutely HATED it in every way imaginable and would never EVER have one again. So there you go neither of us is right it will depend on how you get on personaly. A cover and board etc will set you back at least a  grand. The pub just down the road sells beer at £3.05 per pint so that would buy you 328 pints!! Now do you see how important a decision it is :cheers:

Absolutely - personal taste and different needs or usage patterns.  Time will tell, although I suspect had my boat not had a cratch when I bought it, it still wouldn't! (For the same 328 reasons) :)

Tim, had you thought to put a bucket in your cratch, you could have used it as an outside privvy - you could've then scoffed at new fangled cassette users as well as the pump out brigade!

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Haha 1

Our boat had a cratch and canopy when we bought it, as well as a rear tonneau. Didn't use the rear tonneau for the first couple of winters but I tend to put it on over the winter semi-decommissionlng period (we are not liveaboards).

Had a new cover made to fit the cratch after a couple of years of ownership, then a new cratch to fit the cover three years later. Since it is a rather shorter boat than average at 48ft I wouldn't be without it, as others have said, for fuel storage, as a paint locker, storage for fenders and straps, and for use as a shaded patio in summer.

Condensation does not seem to be a problem, probably because of the draught!