Leeds father and son found dead in Huddersfield canal

Robbo

Featured Posts

It's a bit misleading. Cooper Bridge is actually on the River Calder, not a Huddersfield Canal. Not sure which part they were on, but probably the cutting which bypasses the weir and leads to the lock. Still very sad and a mystery though.

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

And as yet, incomprehensible how two adults can drown whilst chucking a magnet in a canal.

A first class example of an incident I feel a deep need to understand, as I simply cannot imagine how two people can die doing this. Yet the media never explain and posters on here object to speculation trying to piece together what happened.

I think my survival instinct drives me to want to understand others' accidents so I can avoid them happening to me. I seem almost alone in feeling this. 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A first class example of an incident I feel a deep need to understand, as I simply cannot imagine how two people can die doing this. Yet the media never explain and posters on here object to speculation trying to piece together what happened.

I think my survival instinct drives me to want to understand others' accidents so I can avoid them happening to me. I seem almost alone in feeling this. 

I am with you on this. Knowledge should help us to avoid it happening to us, and speculation is unhelpful.

15 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I am with you on this. Knowledge should help us to avoid it happening to us, and speculation is unhelpful.

Yes but when the authorities keep the knowledge secret, speculation is the only tool we have left. 

A reasonable hypothesis of how an accident can have happened can sometimes be arrived at by examining the facts we do have, otherwise seen as speculation by those feeling no need to understand.  So I don't agree speculation is necessarily a bad thing.

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes but when the authorities keep the knowledge secret, speculation is the only tool we have left. 

A reasonable hypothesis of how an accident can have happened can sometimes be arrived at by examining the facts we do have, otherwise seen as speculation by those feeling no need to understand.  So I don't agree speculation is necessarily a bad thing.

Do the authorities know how it happened, missing in the morning and found early evening by divers. Can they really piece together what actually happened. I don't watch Silent Witness any more.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There will be an inquest.  The police won’t really be able to say much before that.  Inquests are public.

Sadly I will be suprised if its anything other than the usual Father/son  gets into  difficulties and Father/son also dies trying to save Father/son much like when people enter the water to save their drowning dog except in those cases the dog often is the survivor.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Sadly I will be suprised if its anything other than the usual Father/son  gets into  difficulties and Father/son also dies trying to save Father/son much like when people enter the water to save their drowning dog except in those cases the dog often is the survivor.

Loathed though I am to agree with you this was my feeling as well.

7 hours ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

It's a bit misleading. Cooper Bridge is actually on the River Calder, not a Huddersfield Canal. Not sure which part they were on, but probably the cutting which bypasses the weir and leads to the lock. Still very sad and a mystery though.

Cooper Bridge is where the C&H meets the Huddersfield Broad Canal, so could be classed as Cooper Bridge and be on the canal, just.

Just now, Dave_P said:

Mod hat on:  Please remember that this is first and foremost a personal tragedy.  Please bear that in mind when you post.  Friends / family could read what you have said.

exactly!  and is why he deserved the comment you wiped! 

1 minute ago, Dave_P said:

No, he didn't.  I've sent you a PM. 

No sorry, I have no remorse, he did deserve the comment and respecting the 'rules' very slightly I can tell you it would have been stronger had I not! 

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I believe that you are probably going to be disappointed then since the only people who know what happened are now, very sadly dead. To throw a very small piece of light (as much as anyone is going to be able to do) the site of this tragedy is where we moored on 20th June last year and as I recall it is, like quite a few sections of river, a location that if you fell in it would be very difficult to get back out from due to the high bankside. I don't know what the swimming capability of either of the victims is but I consider myself a reasonable swimmer and I wouldn't want to fall in there.

47 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I'm sort of in agreement with you but when I first read this story yesterday I thought that it is really a dreadful situation to find yourself in. Whether it was father or son who fell in first, if you are the one on the bank and the person in the water goes under without resurfacing what do you do? All of the commonsense answers are that you never go into the water after them, but if it is your father/son (daughter/wife/grandson etc.etc) who on here wouldn't?  Could I stand on the bankside and watch someone close to me drown? I don't think I could since you then have to live with yourself afterwards.

A very sad result that we shall never know exactly what happened.

• Happy 1