MANCHESTER SHIP CANAL - a guide. June 2018

graemejwalker

Featured Posts

I can’t see where you moored at Salford because your maps just show me where I am now.  But the designated mooring is by the Holiday Inn Express, by the service block.  The local council also like people to tell them if they’re planning to spend the night there.

There seem to be a few more people doing this trip, not least because of the breach.  I suspect this will mean one of two things: either the MSC people will get more used to narrowboats; or they’ll do more to try to discourage them!

59 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

I can’t see where you moored at Salford because your maps just show me where I am now.  But the designated mooring is by the Holiday Inn Express, by the service block.  The local council also like people to tell them if they’re planning to spend the night there.

There seem to be a few more people doing this trip, not least because of the breach.  I suspect this will mean one of two things: either the MSC people will get more used to narrowboats; or they’ll do more to try to discourage them!

When we have been to Salford Quays with Lymm Cruising Club we have not moored by the Holiday Inn but further round where there have been 20 - 30 boats moored together.

We have not been for a couple of years as Salford Council declared the jetties unsafe.

Any one know if these have been repaired?

27 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

When we have been to Salford Quays with Lymm Cruising Club we have not moored by the Holiday Inn but further round where there have been 20 - 30 boats moored together.

We have not been for a couple of years as Salford Council declared the jetties unsafe.

Any one know if these have been repaired?

When we were there in September, we went sent a map showing the visitor mooring. There is no jetty, you just moor up against the wall. 

B538ECE5-B8EF-4DC0-80E8-BC6D3ABEBE0C.jpeg

1A42510E-D7B0-4B7E-9469-CF161652FA62.jpeg

2 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

Thanks for the guide Graeme.

Although we have done the trip before it was around 2003 and we started at Pomona Lock.

It is interesting to see how much prices have risen since then.

Cheers. Yes, it does feel like too much £ and I'd certainly not have done it if either Middlewich or Marsh Locks were open. My other choice was to go all the way back down the Shrop, across the S&W and up the T&M. Felt like a depressing option to go all that way only to get 30 miles or so east of Chester.

2 hours ago, adam1uk said:

Thanks - I didn't see anything about the designated mooring, or contacting the council. Had no trouble though.

Have updated the map with the Holiday Inn Designated mooring site.

If boaters are asked to contact the council for mooring in Salford Quays, does anyone have the contact info?

Adam1uk

The area where we moored is a few hundred yards behind your boat. There were steps off the wall down to wooden walkways.

The longer boats were breasted up and moored stern on to the walkways and the shorter boats moored side on to the walkways up to 7 or 8 boats deep.

There were no pontoons/jetties set out from the walls.

Edited by Pie Eater
Spellchecked

This may just me being thick, but on the basis there's no such thing as a stupid question:

If the MSC guys dangle a rope down, and you attach your centre line to that with a sheet bend, I can't see how that enables you to keep control of your boat. Even if the line is tight enough to restrain your boat initially it'll go slack as the boat rises. Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Mike55 said:

This may just me being thick, but on the basis there's no such thing as a stupid question:

If the MSC guys dangle a rope down, and you attach your centre line to that with a sheet bend, I can't see how that enables you to keep control of your boat. Even if the line is tight enough to restrain your boat initially it'll go slack as the boat rises. Or am I missing something?

Hi, it's a reasonable question.

1. you should know that they kind of half-heartedly asked what I wanted, or gave some indication what they wanted. One guy wanted us to tie fore and aft, but his boss said it would be fine to tie just the centre. The last guys didn't care if we tied up or not and in fact, started letting water in before we were tied up at all and we had to shout to them to drop us the rope down. One of the lock keepers said something to the effect of "you don't even need a rope if you don't want".
  2. I think its a good idea to tie up.
  3. They dangle the rope. You tie yours onto it and as the boat rises they keep wrapping it around a bollard above to keep you in.
  4. The rise is actually really smooth and steady - very little turbulence. Through a couple of locks we barely moved at all and by the top, we were almost completely still.
  5. If the lock keepers are doing their job properly, they should manage the water flow to pin your boat to the side (as you would if you were a single boat in a regular CRT broad lock). The trouble is, as described in my main guide, they're generally not very interested in small craft such as ours. So stay vigilant. Keep someone at the tiller if you can. There's a huge amount of room to manouvre in even if the ropes do go slack. Use your engine.
  6. Additionally, on reflection, the point of the ropes is also to prevent you from going backwards into all the turbulence coming into the lock. They didn't seem to care if we bashed about a bit. Not that we did, although you should have seen their energy levels go up a bit when they realised that they might have a sunken boat on their watch!

Again, I emphasise the need for skippers to take responsibility for vigilance over their own boats as the MSC lock keepers will not particularly help in that regard.

The only thing that I would add is that should you find another vessel moving then VHF is very useful to communicate each other’s intentions. When we did our transit Eastham VTS asked us to talk to the Mersey dredger directly to check it was safe to pass. 

Oh and the council mislaid our booking for the bridge at the port...which meant we had to hang around the in the bottom basin while they got their act together...if you do end up waiting there don’t tie up...if a ship passes on the ship Canal the water level in the basin changes alarmingly...better to ride it out than be slammed into the wall. 

A few things to add.

As said, they just don't answer the phone. Turning up in person is at the Eastham gate house is also not an option unless you have first spoken on the phone to pre-arrange this. Phoning the shipping control number is the only option, I thought they would not like this but turned out to be very friendly and informative.

You can monitor the ship movements on the on line ship movement site, this is very useful as the canal control can make mistakes and send you out into the canal with a tug fast approaching (we know this!).

Our certificate of sea worthiness "inspection" was mostly a friendly chat, the equipment rules are not that strict, but I am pretty sure this friendly chat was finding out our level of boating experience, if you have never done any rivers before, just little narrow canals, then they might not let you go.

We had to get our inspection at short notice and the travelling expenses were more that the survey itself. Try to get the boat close to the surveyors base!

.............Dave

10 hours ago, graemejwalker said:

they keep wrapping it around a bollard above to keep you in.

Ah! This was the bit I hadn't appreciated. Thanks for responding, and for a very useful posting.

• 1 year later...

We did the journey from Salford Quays to Ellesmere Port on Friday so thought I would share my experiences and opinions.

Firstly what I learnt on here from  Graeme's extremely comprehensive and helpful guide at the beginning of this thread was invaluable, as was the help from another member Boredrider.

On Thursday we made the short journey from Castlefields to Pomona Lock and met the two lockies at the prearranged time of 8am. We had planned on doing the journey straight to Ellesmere Port but a few days earlier Peel Ports emailed to say we would have to go the following day due to unexpected lock repairs to Barton lock. So we spent the day and that night in Salford Quays in the mooring shown in AdamUk's thread number 6, adjacent to the Holiday Inn which we spotted easily from the main channel.

Those other moorings round the corner are still under repair as they have been since last year but I reckon if you were pushed you'd have no problem mooring there. They aren't doing any actual work on them and it looks as if they haven't for a long time. You would I'm sure get in by the Holiday Inn though, even if you had to breast up to somebody, especially as we were told by the lockie at Pamona that they only saw a couple of boats a month through there and this was backed up by one at Mode Wheel Lock who told us that we were only the 11th pleasure boat they'd had through there this year.

Everything else was just as Graeme had described in the OP except that we found the lockies, friendly, interested, and chatty. Also because were were descending the locks we didn't need to rope up because there was no turbulence and little movement of water.

Some of the ships we passed moored up along the way were quite impressive, and we met two oncoming (the ferry/trip boat and quite a large tanker) both of whom slowed right down and we passed each other with plenty of room to spare. I had liaised with them via VHF but this wasn't really needed because the chap at Eastham VTS was liaising with all 3 of us anyway.

You have to report your progress periodically to Eastham VTS  (by phone) and each time they told me where they'd next like me to report in. The downloadable MSC Pleasure Craft Guide was very useful, particularly the map/plan of the canal which we could easily follow on our android phone. Reconciling the numbered marker lights every few hundred yards along the whole route with the map on our phone made it so easy to pinpoint exactly where we were at any given time. You can of course print off the map if you prefer.

Eastham VTS like to know when you are likely to reach each lock so they can arrange to have lockies there when you arrive (we had different ones at each lock) . I just told them that we'd be travelling at around 4/5mph and left it to them to work it out.

Once we were through the last lock (Latchford) our time was our own but we wanted to maintain our 4/5mph as we wanted to reach Ellesmere Port before the museum closed because they have to unchain the lock up into the lower basin. They closed at 5.30 but we actually got there an hour earlier as it turned out. So the whole journey from Salford Quays to EP took 8 hours. They told me when we arrived that knowing we were coming they would have left it unlocked if they had gone home.

The other issue to check up before arriving is that the council operated swing bridge will be open, which it needs to be in order to get into the lock. This has been mentioned earlier in this thread but when we arrived it was 'permanently' open and had scaffolding all around it. Thank you Boredrider for sussing this out for us. How long it will be like that for for I don't know. But if and when it is back in working order you will need to pre-arrange things with the council and I think somebody said on here that they would probably leave it open for you if they knew you were arriving 'after hours'.

Some people moan about the cost but I looked on it was worth paying for the experience as well providing a different route option. When you analyse the cost I think it's actually not exorbitant. We paid £203 including the £30 locking down Pomona. There were two lockies at each lock x 5 locks. On the basis that including their travelling they'd each be about an hour working you through, that works out at 10 man hours which works out at just over £20 an hour. Given that labour rates these days are between £40 & £50 an hour then I think that is very reasonable. By the way it does require two lockies to operate the MSC locks.  

Admittedly there is also the cost of obtaining the certificate of seaworthiness to add to that. Mine cost £60 because I met the chap in Northwich where he is based so it saved his travelling costs.

So all in all it was a great day and I recommend it. It's a wonderful experience. Take heed of the excellent information on here and you'll be fine.

• Greenie 3

Good post.  I'd also suggest that if anyone fancies doing the trip but doesn't need to do it on their own boat, you can do it for about £50 per person on the Mersey Ferry either from Salford or Liverpool with a coach back the other way included.

We used to think £200 for your transit on your own boat was a lot until we did the trip - there is a lot of work put in by a lot of people to get you through the Ship Canal, and we no longer think it's excessive charges.

We would strongly recommend doing the ship canal for anyone who is really interested in inland waterways - it's something quite special.  If you do it on the ferry,, you also have a bar and a tour guide voiceover!

• 5 months later...