Prickwillow, Great Ouse

Mike Todd

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if it is possible to wind 60ft at Prickwillow? Considering a diversion to the museum in a few weeks time without having to go to the end, which is where the only winding hole I can find marked anywhere.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Does anyone know if it is possible to wind 60ft at Prickwillow? Considering a diversion to the museum in a few weeks time without having to go to the end, which is where the only winding hole I can find marked anywhere.

Yes, easy.

Go through bridge,  turning sharp left.  Then reverse towards the museum.  Or you could turn clockwise if you like.  Depends on the wind,  really.

Actually I am pretty sure you could turn below the bridge, but that would be a bit tight...

Do check museum opening hours ...

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Just now, Scholar Gypsy said:

Yes, easy.

Go through bridge,  turning sharp left.  Then reverse towards the museum.  Or you could turn clockwise if you like.  

Actually I am pretty sure you could turn below the bridge, but that would be a bit tight...

Do check museum opening hours ...

Thanks so much. It looked like that from Google but that not infallible esp as its latest pix are 2011. We have checked the times and days already - we are planning something for a grand daughter joining us for a day. My other concern is a note I have just read in the GOBA news that last year the mooring was out of action for most of the year as EA did not want to spend any money on it. Do you know the latest?

2 minutes ago, pearley said:

From the GOBA forum I think the moorings right outside the museum are closed. 

http://www.goba.org.uk/a1b2c3d4e5/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1960

Hopefully the one marked by Paul Balmer (Waterway Routes) just beyond the bridge is still OK - or is it the other way around?

Here is view from bridge looking downstream recently.  Half is fenced off but still useable with care IMHO. The other moorings around the corner are still fine. 

Also you can moor on the right just after the bridge.  Ask the museum for permission.  A few submerged obstacles...dsc_2090.jpg

And here is the unofficial mooring right in front of the drainage museum.  On right just after the bridge.  You can see the fenced off moorings in the distance. 

If you moor here, moor  facing upstream (as in photo) and turn around after lunch. dscf1405.jpg

3 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

And here is the unofficial mooring right in front of the drainage museum.  On right just after the bridge.  You can see the fenced off moorings in the distance. 

If you moor here, moor  facing upstream (as in photo) and turn around after lunch. dscf1405.jpg

I wonder who's boat that is?

4 minutes ago, Martin Trnecka said:

There are another EA moorings about 150 meters upstream. Walking distance back on the river bank, over the bridge to the museum.

I think I can see that now on Google - just not visible via streetview. Thanks again.

Just to widen the scope of the question a bit more - any suggestions for interesting places for adults and teenagers along any of the three navigable tributaries to the Great Ouse would also be welcome to hear about.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I think I can see that now on Google - just not visible via streetview. Thanks again.

Just to widen the scope of the question a bit more - any suggestions for interesting places for adults and teenagers along any of the three navigable tributaries to the Great Ouse would also be welcome to hear about.

Quit while you're ahead Mike ? Never been there only by Car but these Threads can be very informative .

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Stretham pump museum  https://strethamoldengine.org.uk/

Off the cuff, Thetford forest.  For youngsters there is Go Ape plus you can hire bikes etc.

But not sure how is it reachable from the rivers. Possibly best from Little Ouse, but navigable for a boat your size just to the lock before Brandon and don't know if there is a winding hole. Never been there myself.

7 hours ago, Martin Trnecka said:

Off the cuff, Thetford forest.  For youngsters there is Go Ape plus you can hire bikes etc.

But not sure how is it reachable from the rivers. Possibly best from Little Ouse, but navigable for a boat your size just to the lock before Brandon and don't know if there is a winding hole. Never been there myself.

Yes you can wind just before the lock at Brandon. A very pleasant 45 min or so walk to the forest, where there's lots to do. We hired a  mountain bike tandem, great fun except when the very sandy soil reached the level of the bottom bracket, at which point you come to a halt!  Zip wires as well.  https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2014/08/30/summer-trip-part-1/

Grimes Graves (also near Brandon) worth  a walk. Neolithic flint mine. https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2016/07/18/narrowboating-in-norfolk-the-brecks-and-grimes-graves/

There's an adult campsite on the Wissey, but I am assured it's not what  you think, it's a campsite where children are banned.  There's also the biggest sugar beet refinery in Europe, but not sure that's much of a tourist attraction.

12 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Yes you can wind just before the lock at Brandon. A very pleasant 45 min or so walk to the forest, where there's lots to do. We hired a  mountain bike tandem, great fun except when the very sandy soil reached the level of the bottom bracket, at which point you come to a halt!  Zip wires as well.  https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2014/08/30/summer-trip-part-1/

Grimes Graves (also near Brandon) worth  a walk. Neolithic flint mine. https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2016/07/18/narrowboating-in-norfolk-the-brecks-and-grimes-graves/

There's an adult campsite on the Wissey, but I am assured it's not what  you think, it's a campsite where children are banned.  There's also the biggest sugar beet refinery in Europe, but not sure that's much of a tourist attraction.

Reading up about the beet factory a few days ago I was fascinated to see that it has one of the very largest under glass units which, amongst other things, grows a variant of cannabis for a pharma company to produce a drug that helps with rare cases of childhood epilepsy. Interesting in the light of the current debate.

Thanks for the other info.

11 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Reading up about the beet factory a few days ago I was fascinated to see that it has one of the very largest under glass units which, amongst other things, grows a variant of cannabis for a pharma company to produce a drug that helps with rare cases of childhood epilepsy. Interesting in the light of the current debate.

Thanks for the other info.

Yes, the UK is world's largest exporter of medical cannabis products.  I've been learning a lot about this issue this morning, at work  ....