Parking for Braunston Historic Boat Rally.

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, BWM said:

It can only be a matter of time before the owner of a nearby field cuts a half price offer, even at a tenner there's a lot of money on offer. 

Yep, there's a couple of nice fields down near the chandlers (bottom lock). Make a fortune.

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yep, there's a couple of nice fields down near the chandlers (bottom lock). Make a fortune.

I wouldn't hesitate if I owned them, with the extreme sounding parking controls around the village a little freedom of choice would outweigh any moral dilemma for me!

Hopefully the excessive charge combined with the restrictions in the village will hit visitor numbers and make the marina think more carefully next year.

Tim, with his wisdom could instigate such practice and take a cut for his chosen charities. If, of course, he has tried but got a negative response.

Just now, MJG said:

Hopefully the excessive charge combined with the restrictions in the village will hit visitor numbers and make the marina think more carefully next year.

I always thought £10 to be a bit ambitious. 

I've heard of enterprising individuals with a yellow vest just opening a gate in a convenient field, waving them in, taking their money and then buggering off. The main problem is finding somewhere to park while you do it!

5 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

It used to be free parking if you were crewing  a boat.

One free parking permit is still available for each historic boat attending - it used to be two, but they have reduced it to one.

So he's reduced the number of permits per historic boat and doubled the charge for everyone else, all in the name of ………….

“It’s for charity mate, but I don’t like to talk about it!”

nicey.png

7 hours ago, zenataomm said:

So he's reduced the number of permits per historic boat and doubled the charge for everyone else, all in the name of ………….

“It’s for charity mate, but I don’t like to talk about it!”

nicey.png

How much does an historic boat owner pay to attend the show? 

1 hour ago, ianali said:

How much does an historic boat owner pay to attend the show? 

Hopefully nothing. They are after all mainly providing free entertainment for the other attendees.

On 20/06/2018 at 21:27, roland elsdon said:

You already cant park anywhere near the marina its village only

Having been there today the parking restrictions look to be the same as in previous years. No parking on the main road (A45) or on the road leading up into the village, but no restrictions and space is available in the village centre. From there it's a short walk down Nibbets Lane to the towpath at Butchers Bridge.

The very strong feeling amongst many of us attending yesterday was that, (given what an ideal day it was weather-wise), that visitor numbers were noticeably much down.

A good measure is the degree to which you have to wait to get under or across some of the narrow bridge paths whilst people come in the opposite direction.  I found it very much easier to move quickly around the place with 2 dogs than usual, and even the main bridge to the marina had spare space for viewers on the afternoon parade.

I think the decision about the parking charge has probably had a significant impact.

Huge number of forumites met though, with many passing through Flamingo, parading on Sickle, or going for the customaty evening gathering on Tawny Owl.

Time to get ready for today's action!

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The very strong feeling amongst many of us attending yesterday was that, (given what an ideal day it was weather-wise), that visitor numbers were noticeably much down.

A good measure is the degree to which you have to wait to get under or across some of the narrow bridge paths whilst people come in the opposite direction.  I found it very much easier to move quickly around the place with 2 dogs than usual, and even the main bridge to the marina had spare space for viewers on the afternoon parade.

I think the decision about the parking charge has probably had a significant impact.

Huge number of forumites met though, with many passing through Flamingo, parading on Sickle, or going for the customaty evening gathering on Tawny Owl.

Time to get ready for today's action!

It looked from the pictures posted on the other thread that there were a lot fewer people from that I've noticed in previous years videos and pictures observing the boats from the bridges. They always looked packed in previous years.

Hopefully it might force them to re think next year.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Having been there today the parking restrictions look to be the same as in previous years. No parking on the main road (A45) or on the road leading up into the village, but no restrictions and space is available in the village centre. From there it's a short walk down Nibbets Lane to the towpath at Butchers Bridge.

Noted (for next time) David thanks.

I think the World Cup football has had a far bigger impact on visitor numbers than the car parking charge.

Not sure why there was only 2/3 the number of exhibiting boats though, given few historic boaters are interested in football and we get in the car park for free. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think the World Cup football has had a far bigger impact on visitor numbers than the car parking charge.

Not sure why there was only 2/3 the number of exhibiting boats though, given few historic boaters are interested in football and we get in the car park for free. 

Didn't seem to affect the attendance at the Dragon boat festival at Saltaire today, maybe because you could watch it for free and it was fun.

23 hours ago, David Mack said:

My son and his girlfriend (and their dog) arrived at Braunston at about 10:00 this morning and parked in the village with no problem. If I had not had a complimentary Car Park Pass then I would have parked in the village, just as I always do when visiting Braunston :captain: 

I drove through today, I was on my way to the Garden Centre opposite Whilton Marina (Talking to the parrots there seemed more fun) 

I was quite astonished at the lack of activity around Braunston. The layby just before the canal bridge was only half full.  The Chandlers and Pub likewise and only two people with cameras standing on the main road bridge next to the pub.