Parking for Braunston Historic Boat Rally.

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Sometimes in these circumstances I wonder if the beneficiary isn't the shop owner's retirement fund!

The fact that your suggestion is even plausible is why great care has to be taken over any financial activity that claims a charitable connection:

In the past, fund raisers at every scale have been found to donate quite small proportions of money that looked as if it were in aid of charity went to any charity* with the rest going in expenses, often to pay salaries or fees to those involved in the activity. Hence the need for transparency. Normally, it is considered sufficient to state the object of the fund raising on any publicity and when that has been done it is necessary to implement it. (Hence charities themselves are advised to be cautious about stating too specific a purpose just in case the amounts raised are insufficient to proceed with that particular project. On the other hand, it is often the specific project that attracts donations rather than the general purposes of the charity)

In my view, if there is any doubt about what either the Charity Commission or the Fund Raising regulator might or might not require, then always err very much on the side of transparency - even if it is a pain. This is as much for the protection of the organiser as for the charity itself.

It is not generally a good idea to make a vague, generalised statement about 'going to charity' as that undermines one significant part of the transparency ie the feedback from the beneficiary.

It is also important that there is clarity about how the amount of the donation is to be calculated. What deductions are to be allowed? How is VAT computed?

All of this is, of course, quite different from companies making charitable donations out of their taxable profits. They can decide unilaterally what to do with the money that belongs to the company, save that they have to account to their shareholders. But, in that case, they should not promote specific purchases as having a charitable connection, unless they engage in transparency. (Question: who is actually making the donation? Is it the shareholders in forgoing profits or is it the purchaser in agreeing to a price that includes more than the normal cost of the item?)

I emphasise that I make no suggestion about specific activities.

* Disclosure: a very long time ago (circa 1966) I was part of a small unconstituted group of students that produced and sold a small booklet in aid of a specific charitable purpose. We were not the first or the last to fail to make an adequate business case - we failed to allow for the fact that not all printed copies would be sold at the cover price - and so the charity received very little of the sales income which barely covered the production costs - no-one involved benefitted. I would not go anywhere near such a scheme today!

4 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

ouch £20 parking is steep... cheaper to park in London?

It is steep. It would have been fairer IMHO to charge a fee for a car and then a fee based on the number of occupants because as things stand a car with five people in it get in for £4 each whereas a car with only one person in it pays £20, nuts.

(Of course people would have just offloaded their passengers to enter on foot and then get one occupant to drive the car in so that is probably why they haven't done that.)

2 hours ago, MJG said:

It is steep. It would have been fairer IMHO to charge a fee for a car and then a fee based on the number of occupants because as things stand a car with five people in it get in for £4 each whereas a car with only one person in it pays £20, nuts.

(Of course people would have just offloaded their passengers to enter on foot and then get one occupant to drive the car in so that is probably why they haven't done that.)

Easily resolved at most venues by charging for attendance rather than parking, but the Braunston show is at a very public location.

Would charity collection boxes along the towpath raise more money?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Easily resolved at most venues by charging for attendance rather than parking, but the Braunston show is at a very public location.

Would charity collection boxes along the towpath raise more money?

They would definitely require more paperwork! (A collection in a public place)

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Its already chaos cycled to garage to pick up car ( 6 miles from braunston) got back no parking anywhere. Had to park in village ( limited) and walk to boat 5.5 miles. ( well 1/2 mile). No tesla chargepoint...

Sorry can you clarify what you mean please

2 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I usually park in the village but this year I am going to park in the car park - but where exactly is the car park for this event, and is it usually well sign posted :captain:

There will be lots of yellow vested folks pointing you in the right direction.

6 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I usually park in the village but this year I am going to park in the car park - but where exactly is the car park for this event, and is it usually well sign posted :captain:

Take the exit from the A45 that leads to the marina, but then instead of forking left to the marina offices ans shops , fork right and round between the marina and the housing built alongside it.

Edited by alan_fincher

I've decided not to come. I had to cancel my hotel by midnight tonight in order not to lose money so I have. Frankly as good as the event is I can't say it's worth £40 plus fuel to get there and hotel costs.

It is a shame really but I do think the 100% price hike over last year is just taking the pee.

Looking forward to seeing the pics. on here.

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

There will be lots of yellow vested folks pointing you in the right direction.

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Take the exit from the A45 that leads to the marina, but then instead of forking left to the marina offices ans shops , fork right and round between the marina and the housing built alongside it.

Thanks chaps, so the car park must be on the grass area then (good job my car is 4x4).

Presumably cars can come and go, even before / after the yellow vested folks are there as I want to get to Braunston early and leave very late ?

1 minute ago, pete harrison said:

Presumably cars can come and go, even before / after the yellow vested folks are there as I want to get to Braunston early and leave very late ?

Don't know about the early part - suggest you ring Marina - Graham who posted in this thread is very helpful.

I thought you had a boat now - why are you coming by car? :captain:

4 minutes ago, MJG said:

Looking forward to seeing the pics. on here.

........of the predicted mayhem in the village, where it is suggested the residents will make life as difficult as they can for those seeking to avoid Tim's price hike ?

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

........of the predicted mayhem in the village, where it is suggested the residents will make life as difficult as they can for those seeking to avoid Tim's price hike ?

Possibly. But some boaty pics. would be nice too...

I'm off for a quiet weekend at Hutton le hole in the caravan instead.

35 minutes ago, David Mack said:

How do they enforce that??

Perhaps there is some sort of temp. residents only parking scheme been introduced?

some people really do get wound up about others legitimately parking in their road or village. Our road occasionally gets used as an unofficial overflowcar park for the local club when there is a big wedding or funeral but as long as drives are kept clear it's not a problem, preventing visitors parking just means they will get less visitors which is a bit of a shame for the pubs and shops in the village that could have made a few bob.

42 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So no parking full stop. That will affect residents as much as visitors. 

I'm sure the Braunston Nimbys who organised this will have made suitable provision

I think its the police who do this, because otherwise people park on the a45 and up the hill. I think they funnel people into the provided parking. However its a bit of a pain when it starts on the wednesday.... my car spends about 280 days a year in its garage , but i just happen to need it near the boat while im in braunston for the rally. And no i couldnt get into the parking theres a barrier even though i have a pass..