Parking for Braunston Historic Boat Rally.

Featured Posts

Does anybody know if the £20 parking charge covers both days (hopefully it does!!)

And what are the alternatives ??? Park in the village and walk down??

We have been twice by car. As you suggest. Parked in the village near the church. Get there early ish though. Mind you, this was a few years ago so the traffic cones may be flourishing nowadays.

i doubt the £20 is for two days. Wishful thinking?

1 hour ago, MJG said:

Does anybody know if the £20 parking charge covers both days (hopefully it does!!)

And what are the alternatives ??? Park in the village and walk down??

Good question, to which I don't know the answer.

As it say the event is "Weekend 23-24 June 2018." and "entrance £20 per car" I would read it that you only have to pay once.

Why not contact the marina and ask them though?

If (as I suspect) the tickets to display in your car are undated, there could be a good deal of passing on tickets first used on Saturday for further use on Sunday....... (Not that I would suggest it!)

Edited by alan_fincher

Just now, alan_fincher said:

Good question, to which I don't know the answer.

As it say the event is "Weekend 23-24 June 2018." and "entrance £20 per car" I would read it that you only have to pay once.

Why not contact the marina and ask them though?

Cheers will do I just thought somebody on here would know.

I note the charge has doubled from the £10 per car last year.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

Cheers will do I just thought somebody on here would know.

No idea where that bold text came from - you caught me as I was correcting it.

As an aside, I hadn't realised that the main beneficiary of the money, (or at least the one thy single out) is "Friends of Raymond".  I'm not sure quite what to think about that.  There are some good people associated with FoR, (some post on here, and are very committed to it), but equally they manage to lose the historic boating community a few friends as well by not always making themselves too popular when on the move.......

I can confirm its £20 per day for visitors to park. Entry to the Rally without a car is free. I have printed separate car park passes for Saturday and Sunday.

Tim decided, against our advice, to double the parking charge.

We don't advise trying to park in the village, you may find the residents will make it very difficult  to find a parking space.

We have 79 Historic Boats already registered and from previous years experience another 10% turn up on spec.

Apart from Raymond receiving £2000 Tim has given a further £4000 to other charities connected with the waterways. A further appeal for funds will be made by Steam powered boat President, she needs a new boiler.

Other events include Morris dancers, theatre performances and a tribute to the late David Blagrove. Good live music and of course a very good beer tent with some strong local beers, all real ale of course.

David Suchet (Poirot) will open the rally and well known moorers and hit and run boaters Timothy West and Prunella Scales will also be present.

If anyone wants to know anything else will be in the office from 8am  everyday this week.

Graham N.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Ray T said:

May I suggest it isn't Tim giving to the various charities but those who have paid the car parking fee.

He is charging for parking on his land. That makes it his money.. so anything he donates to charities will have been his money.

59 minutes ago, ianali said:

He is charging for parking on his land. That makes it his money.. so anything he donates to charities will have been his money.

Either way I prefer to determine how much I pay to charities and being frank given I wanted to come for both days I think £40 is a bit steep. Add in a hotel and travel costs I'm looking at significant cost.

1 hour ago, grahamjnewman said:

I can confirm its £20 per day for visitors to park. Entry to the Rally without a car is free. I have printed separate car park passes for Saturday and Sunday.

Tim decided, against our advice, to double the parking charge.

We don't advise trying to park in the village, you may find the residents will make it very difficult  to find a parking space.

We have 79 Historic Boats already registered and from previous years experience another 10% turn up on spec.

Apart from Raymond receiving £2000 Tim has given a further £4000 to other charities connected with the waterways. A further appeal for funds will be made by Steam powered boat President, she needs a new boiler.

Other events include Morris dancers, theatre performances and a tribute to the late David Blagrove. Good live music and of course a very good beer tent with some strong local beers, all real ale of course.

David Suchet (Poirot) will open the rally and well known moorers and hit and run boaters Timothy West and Prunella Scales will also be present.

If anyone wants to know anything else will be in the office from 8am  everyday this week.

Graham N.

Thanks for confirming. I think I will be seeking alternatives and saving my pennies for donating to what I wish to support when I get to the rally.

6 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

The village parking is about to get very busy I feel...,

Completely agree. £10 seems pretty reasonable to me but a hundred percent price increase seems to pushing things a bit far, especially if someone is solo in a car and wanted to go both days.

Personally I'm going to try and avoid the village if I can and look at public transport options from where I am staying in Hillmorton.

38 minutes ago, MJG said:

Completely agree. £10 seems pretty reasonable to me but a hundred percent price increase seems to pushing things a bit far, especially if someone is solo in a car and wanted to go both days.

Personally I'm going to try and avoid the village if I can and look at public transport options from where I am staying in Hillmorton.

You might be ok saturday so long as you leave early (before 5.30pm)- Sunday is a no go as far as public transport from Hillmorton to Braunston goes unless something has changed in the last 12 months.

23 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Park in daventry  indusrtrial estate walk down hill. We have frequently walked to dav from  Braunston. There is a bridleway to the nelson . 20 mins. We have a rental place where we keep our car very much on the wrong side of dav , still only 45 min walk.

Cheers I'll have a look at this option.

12 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Park in daventry  indusrtrial estate walk down hill. We have frequently walked to dav from  Braunston. There is a bridleway to the nelson . 20 mins. We have a rental place where we keep our car very much on the wrong side of dav , still only 45 min walk.

It will be up hill on the way back!

On 17/06/2018 at 18:57, ianali said:

Probably a bit more complicated than that under Charity law. Raising money for charity requires any publicity to state the destination of monies raised and it would be an offence to direct that money elsewhere. It would also be good to make sure that there is traceability of the monies.

For a business, it is not a good idea to channel charity fund raising through their accounts as that might compromise things like VAT etc. Best kept separate which means that there needs to be some means of clear accounting and checking.

None of this prevents fund raising but charity law (and I know how sensitive folks here are about charities!) is intended to ensure safety and transparency about the money. Like so many things, these rules generally follow cases where something went badly astray.

41 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Probably a bit more complicated than that under Charity law. Raising money for charity requires any publicity to state the destination of monies raised and it would be an offence to direct that money elsewhere. It would also be good to make sure that there is traceability of the monies.

For a business, it is not a good idea to channel charity fund raising through their accounts as that might compromise things like VAT etc. Best kept separate which means that there needs to be some means of clear accounting and checking.

None of this prevents fund raising but charity law (and I know how sensitive folks here are about charities!) is intended to ensure safety and transparency about the money. Like so many things, these rules generally follow cases where something went badly astray.

Is there a reason why you have posted that? some people might conclude that you are trying to suggest that the organizers may not complying with what you call "Charity Law" As far as I am aware the latest Charity Commission rules regarding fundraising only apply to the Trustees of Charities, or proffessional fundraisers acting on their behalf, not indivduals who raise money at public events and donate any surplus profit to charitable organizations. My understanding is that entrance to the event is free of charge, but that any surplus proceeds made from charging people to park their car in a private field will be given to "canal & local causes" by the owner of that private field, and which is clearly stated in the event publicity.

58 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Is there a reason why you have posted that? some people might conclude that you are trying to suggest that the organizers may not complying with what you call "Charity Law" As far as I am aware the latest Charity Commission rules regarding fundraising only apply to the Trustees of Charities, or proffessional fundraisers acting on their behalf, not indivduals who raise money at public events and donate any surplus profit to charitable organizations. My understanding is that entrance to the event is free of charge, but that any surplus proceeds made from charging people to park their car in a private field will be given to "canal & local causes" by the owner of that private field, and which is clearly stated in the event publicity.

And I am sure Tim with his background knows the rules with money

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I was not making any suggestion of impropriety.

17 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Getting slightly off topic but.......

Where does this public statement of who the  beneficiaries of a charitable donation will be have to appear?

Increasingly I am being offered the chance to round card payments I make up to the nearest whole pound, or to have 50p added to  my bill to go to charity.  Sometimes that just appears as I'm handed the card reader, but that certainly doesn't show who would benefit.

What else needs to be displayed, and where for this to be legal, then?

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Increasingly I am being offered the chance to round card payments I make up to the nearest whole pound, or to have 50p added to  my bill to go to charity.  Sometimes that just appears as I'm handed the card reader, but that certainly doesn't show who would benefit.

Sometimes in these circumstances I wonder if the beneficiary isn't the shop owner's retirement fund!

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Sometimes in these circumstances I wonder if the beneficiary isn't the shop owner's retirement fund!

Hopefully not when it is Screwfix, or the local Esso garage, two examples I come across the most........