Sign writing

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, mark99 said:

Signwriting, when done properly, is a thing of beauty.

It is.  And it can be touched up.  Some friends got their sign writer to do this after about ten years, and it looked like new again.  Proper sign writers work surprisingly quickly even when starting from scratch, so touching up what’s already there can be done in very little time.

33 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

It is.  And it can be touched up.  Some friends got their sign writer to do this after about ten years, and it looked like new again.  Proper sign writers work surprisingly quickly even when starting from scratch, so touching up what’s already there can be done in very little time.

Not if there is rust appearing only under the sign writing it can't. No, I don't know why or how it did that and left the adjoining paintwork rust free. A so called professional repaint & sign write and that is what I ended up with. The only way forward was to rub it all back, treat the rust and do a  cabin side repaint. Also a lot of people do not seem to know that whatever you do to sign writing short of rubbing it back to bare metal it is likely to show through any new paint.

I can only agree with your last comment, Tony. I’ve had many enquiries over the years, along the lines of “We’ve just bought a boat and want to change the name.....” When I explain that the panel has to be flatted completely and repainted before applying new work, the reaction is often surprise, sometimes incredulity. I’ve even seen freshly blasted boats with no paint left where the shadow of the lettering remains evident on the bare steel. Funny stuff, paint.....thanks to the earlier contributors who left positive comments on my work, by the way.

Dave

41 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not if there is rust appearing only under the sign writing it can't. No, I don't know why or how it did that and left the adjoining paintwork rust free. A so called professional repaint & sign write and that is what I ended up with. The only way forward was to rub it all back, treat the rust and do a  cabin side repaint. Also a lot of people do not seem to know that whatever you do to sign writing short of rubbing it back to bare metal it is likely to show through any new paint.

I wasn’t talking about changing what was there, I was talking about freshening up existing sign writing when the shading etc has faded a bit.  

I understand that but it depends upon having a good substrate. If you don't it will end up disappointing.

About two years after I was encouraged to have my boat sign written and the lettering was shedding so much pigment it needed attention I could have had it redone, Then I noticed some white parts were starting to craze. No point in doing more.

If something similar had happened to vinyl then a bit of warm air or strong sun and then glue remover would get me back to a decent surface.  Simple enough for a DIY renew. How many ordinary boaters can make a fair job of sign writing? Some can but I wager not many.

I think that there is nothing better than good sign writing/letter cutting/ engraving. I can't do it but in my student days had a lecturer teach me who was a stone carver and his lettering was superb. I don't think that Jon Leeson of Letterknight made a bad job of the sign writing on our boat. He is a dab hand with an air brush and does hot rods, helmets and other bits as well. The place name on our boat very nicely fills waht could otherwise be a blank space.

IMG_0096.JPG

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Going on from what Tony said. My bro in laws boat was sign written and looks fab at a cost of nearly a grand. I had vinyl last year that took about two hours to put on and cost just over 200 squids.

I can see why you'd use stick-on letters, as I guess your boat would be pretty pricey to have written. The name "Blue Rinse" is a fairly standard number of letters, but to have as your home base "Somewhere a 68 foot narrowbeam boat can get" is a lot of writing. I assume you have a long cabin to put that on.

• Greenie 1