TX Controls 700 SO replacement parts

Featured Posts

I have a TX controls 700 so gear control box and the splines on the handle and the little knob (please insert official terminology here!) have worn. The handle slips. I can hold it at a certain angle and get away with it but it's certainly not ideal, and I'm pretty sure I'm not doing good things to it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for replacement parts? The handle is easy to find but I don't know the name for said little knob.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for a temporary bodge? I tried mole grips, which work in forward but slip in reverse.. It could be because my grips are cheapy Screwfix ones.

Any help greatly appreciated!

20180605_104943.jpg

20180605_104948.jpg

Both parts look like cheap light alloy so I guess a new control will be easier than finding new parts. Why not degrease and clean and the refit it using either Araldite or one of the strong Loctites. If it does not last you will still need a new control.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Both parts look like cheap light alloy so I guess a new control will be easier than finding new parts. Why not degrease and clean and the refit it using either Araldite or one of the strong Loctites. If it does not last you will still need a new control.

If the adhesive doesn’t work, you could try to tap it and fit a grub screw - one with a point on the end. 

You might perhaps  be able to open out the slit (on the right in your second pic) a little with something like a fine hacksaw blade in a padsaw handle, if it isn't already cracked or the thread stripped, and thus be able tighten it up a bit more with the clamping screw. Probably only a temporary fix though. (Dumb question: the hex socket cap clamping screw isn't missing, is it?)

I second Andrew's suggestion of running a hacksaw down one of the sides of the handle which are clamped together. Removing some metal here will allow the handle to grip on the splined spindle when the screw is tightened without the two edges meeting. I have done this with success on a similar control.