Bloomfield Junction & Toll Stop

pearley

Featured Posts

The 'Blue Book' shows a toll stop at what used to be Bloomfield Junction but my OS map of 1904 doesn't.  I can understand why they would put one there but does anyone know when it was installed. And when did BW remove the narrows and why did they go to the expense? 

Was there also a toll stop at Anchor Bridge at the other end of the Coseley Tunnel cut? The narrows through the bridge are much longer and narrower than most normal bridge holes but no mention in the book and I don't have the OS map of the area, yet. 

Are there any photos of the junction and toll stop? 

There was a canal house at Bloomfield. The junction was there till the 1990's, but forget when it was removed. This line to Coseley tunnel was initially the Bloomfield Cut and was spanned by the trough that carried water over this arm to an isolated part of the Foxyards Canal, once the Bloomfield Cut had been made. The Bloomfield cut was part of the authorised 1794 scheme to make a tunnel at Coseley, which was began by the contractor Jacob Twigg but abandoned. Bloomfield Cut served the Wallbrook Furnaces. Later when Thomas Telford's scheme was adopted the Bloomfield Cut became part of the line from Bloomfield to Deepfields at Coseley. Mining subsidence had altered levels what remained of the isolated Foxyards Canal became part of the altered canals at Bloomfield. There were basins and later a railway interchange basin. Bloomfield Junction became the junction with the New Main Line and the Old Main line to Bradley once Coseley Tunnel opened. i show the junction  on p 44  of the Tempus  book, Birmingham Canal Navigations.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1