Oh Hell no

rawsondsr

Featured Posts

How? Even if the hose clamps were loose the vacuum should hold it in. The weak bit of the connection is the 90° elbow on the rear of the docking station. Because we pack storage bags under and over the pipe I fitted a support to ensure that no stress was put on the pipe. 

I feel your pain, having had the magnetic float fall apart on one cassette meaning the cassette just got fuller and fuller until liquid effluent started spraying out. 

Off topic but an "Oh Hell No" moment so I can sympathize.

During our Easter spell, stuck on a pontoon in big floods at York I was getting rather concerned that the holding tank warning light had been on for several days. When we finally managed to facilitate a pump-out I unscrewed the roof mounted deck fitting ready to connect the pump-out machine. At the same time SWMBO flushed the vacuum toilet. The resulting effect being the boat resembled a whale spurting liquid (in this case shhhh.. you know what) about 2ft into the air. Luckily the windows were closed.

• Happy 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, pearley said:

The weak bit of the connection is the 90° elbow on the rear of the docking station.

The bit that failed - the pipe was also slightly blocked which probably didnt help things!

All this just proves the point of keeping it simple with a good old porta bog or Thetford cassette. I am relishing the day when something goes wrong with my silly macerator set up which of course one day it will!!

• Greenie 2

24 minutes ago, rawsondsr said:

The bit that failed - the pipe was also slightly blocked which probably didnt help things!

We replaced the pipe on ours last year, when I cut it in half we found it had reduced to less than an inch internally due to limescale, etc build up. 

Perhaps fit a support like ours which won't allow the pipe to come out. 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

All this just proves the point of keeping it simple with a good old porta bog or Thetford cassette. 

Wouldn't have been much use to us at Easter unless we used the outside bog in full view of the city centre goers and CCTV cameras. ?

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Off topic but an "Oh Hell No" moment so I can sympathize.

During our Easter spell, stuck on a pontoon in big floods at York I was getting rather concerned that the holding tank warning light had been on for several days. When we finally managed to facilitate a pump-out I unscrewed the roof mounted deck fitting ready to connect the pump-out machine. At the same time SWMBO flushed the vacuum toilet. The resulting effect being the boat resembled a whale spurting liquid (in this case shhhh.. you know what) about 2ft into the air. Luckily the windows were closed.

I know I shouldn’t laugh, but sorry :)

• Happy 1

When it comes down to it, effluent is the bottom line ( sorry for the double pun).  A friend of mine had a full cassette sitting in his saloon for a couple of weeks and then decide to take it to his flat to empty down the WC.  It took several flushes, and according to his own report, the stench permeated through the flat for at least 48 hours!!! Pooh stinks! 

2 hours ago, Tanglewood said:

When it comes down to it, effluent is the bottom line ( sorry for the double pun).  A friend of mine had a full cassette sitting in his saloon for a couple of weeks and then decide to take it to his flat to empty down the WC.  It took several flushes, and according to his own report, the stench permeated through the flat for at least 48 hours!!! Pooh stinks! 

Undoubtedly assisted by letting it fester for 2 weeks in the saloon:sick:

11 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Oh I'm glad we've got a vacuflush pump out system! I thought I had read cassettes were infalable? Gloat!:)

Me too, but after Easter I realised nothing is infallible just different ?

On 16/06/2018 at 15:45, pearley said:

We replaced the pipe on ours last year, when I cut it in half we found it had reduced to less than an inch internally due to limescale, etc build up. 

Here's a bit of toilet discharge pipe I took off our mainland boat recently. I guess it had been in use for at least twenty years. The pipe wall thickness is ~ 4 mm, the scale 6 - 8 mm. Some of it had spalled and caused a blockage near where it goes through the seacock.

IMG_20180328_152935592.jpg

4 hours ago, pearley said:

Domestic Vacuflush cassette system. 

I've got one of them. It's very good. But sometimes its very bad indeed. When it goes bad again - and it will - I will replace it with something very simple, sort of one step up from a galvanised bucket. No pumps, electrics, vacuums, pressurised wotsits, warning lights, bendy pipes or anything. I am going back to basics. I will learn to embrace my effluent.

1 hour ago, Bee said:
  1. I've got one of them. It's very good. But sometimes its very bad indeed. When it goes bad again - and it will - I will replace it with something very simple, sort of one step up from a galvanised bucket. No pumps, electrics, vacuums, pressurised wotsits, warning lights, bendy pipes or anything. I am going back to basics. I will learn to embrace my effluent.

Do that and you wont be 'embracing' much else:sick:

• Haha 1