A diversion up Memory Arm...

MtB

Featured Posts

Just idly looking at The Duck and I see my first ever narrowboat up for sale. 

I paid Hancock and Lane about £5k to build this still-handsome-looking shell. I ballasted and lined it, fitted an old BMC 1.5 out of a fishing boat, painted it then sold it for £9k to get the money to start my shop. 

566309_1.jpg?1526059114

Up for sale now for £35k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The most curious thing is it was 58ft long when H&L built it for me but the listing says it now only 50ft. It doesn't look shortened, all the same portholes are there in the same places. A bit of licence fraud perhaps, or did Hancock and Lane short-change me? I'm not sure I ever actually measured it!

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=566309

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Might want to check with https://canalplan.org.uk/boats/boats.php as there are similar looking records. Assuming you can remember the registration number, there is 502280 which is specified as Hancock and Lane and 50ft but 54818 (which is not as new) is given as 55ft but with unknown builder.

Neither tally with regard to draft.

Edited by Mike Todd

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Just so you know @Mike the Boilerman, your photo’s not showing for me in the OP. 

Thats odd. I just pasted in the url of the photo on apolloduck.

Does the apolloduck link at the bottom on my post work?

Here is the same photo copied to my PC then pasted directly in

image.png.1ac4318346df19c09752b720f795cd7e.png

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Might want to check with https://canalplan.org.uk/boats/boats.php as there are similar looking records. Assuming you can remember the registration number, there is 502280 which is specified as Hancock and Lane and 50ft but 54818 (which is not as new) is given as 55ft but with unknown builder.

Neither tally with regard to draft.

Fat chance of remembering the registration number, it was over 30 years go!

I am however 100% confident this is the boat I had built. Every tiniest detail in the photos matches the boat I had. 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thats odd. I just pasted in the url of the photo on apolloduck.

Does the apolloduck link at the bottom on my post work?

Here is the same photo copied to my PC then pasted directly in

image.png.1ac4318346df19c09752b720f795cd7e.png

That’s better :)

Yes, the AD link worked. 

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The most curious thing is it was 58ft long when H&L built it for me but the listing says it now only 50ft. It doesn't look shortened, all the same portholes are there in the same places. A bit of licence fraud perhaps, or did Hancock and Lane short-change me? I'm not sure I ever actually measured it!

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=566309

I was only sure that Simon Piper hadn't short changed me with my 57' boat when I first put it in a 57'6" Calder and Hebble lock!

Jen

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Fat chance of remembering the registration number, it was over 30 years go!

I am however 100% confident this is the boat I had built. Every tiniest detail in the photos matches the boat I had. 

As far as I recall, the 6 digit numbers are not that old whilst the 5 digit one seems more plausible.