Thames Lock - Limehouse Cut

Tacet

Featured Posts

I have found a couple of photographs of the Thames Lock serving Limehouse Cut being filled in - presumably shortly after the short link to Regents Canal Dock had been reinstated.  The houses on the western side remain to this day, albeit with some unsympathetic alterations.  The buildings on the eastern side have been replaced - and the lock chamber now remodelled to hold water again - albeit only as a feature. 

Can anyone say they have been through this lock?

276302416_180614Limehouselock_Page_1.jpg.1984aedcb2ca2921d57e7acda7239e3b.jpg

180614 Limehouse lock_Page_2.jpg

38 minutes ago, Tacet said:

I have found a couple of photographs of the Thames Lock serving Limehouse Cut being filled in - presumably shortly after the short link to Regents Canal Dock had been reinstated.  The houses on the western side remain to this day, albeit with some unsympathetic alterations.  The buildings on the eastern side have been replaced - and the lock chamber now remodelled to hold water again - albeit only as a feature. 

Can anyone say they have been through this lock?

276302416_180614Limehouselock_Page_1.jpg.1984aedcb2ca2921d57e7acda7239e3b.jpg

180614 Limehouse lock_Page_2.jpg

And from Google Streetview:

image.png.1c6101a1009f2e7451378c563a635627.png

image.png.a1a920e621f28004b8de092a8e249a66.png

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Interesting photos. You refer to the link from cut to basin being reinstated.  I thought it was first built when that lock was filled in?

Those first two bends on the cut are too tight  for proper commercial use. 

According to Wikipedia, there was a short-lived connection between Limehouse Cut and Limehouse Basin from 1854-64. The current connection was cut (on a different alignment) in 1968 due to the poor condition of the Limehouse Cut lock into the Thames.

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

According to Wikipedia, there was a short-lived connection between Limehouse Cut and Limehouse Basin from 1854-64. The current connection was cut (on a different alignment) in 1968 due to the poor condition of the Limehouse Cut lock into the Thames.

Thanks that's interesting.  I wonder why the original link was closed.  I would assume not due to wrangles about water, as both basin and cut were semi tidal at the time...

9 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thanks that's interesting.  I wonder why the original link was closed.  I would assume not due to wrangles about water, as both basin and cut were semi tidal at the time...

It may have been something to do with the Dock and Limehouse Cut being in common ownership between 1854 and 1864.  This link may help

http://www.leeandstort.co.uk/Limehouse_Lock.htm

When the redevelopment of the Dock was under discussion, an early scheme showed berths moored beneath flats - with only limited headroom.  It seems the designers had not appreciated that the water level rose on spring tides which would have been interesting for both boat owners and flat dwellers alike.

20 hours ago, David Mack said:

And from Google Streetview:

image.png.1c6101a1009f2e7451378c563a635627.png

image.png.a1a920e621f28004b8de092a8e249a66.png

Great pics. Love the proper street lamp on the bridge, much nicer than the bullshit modern thingies in the later pics.

As it is now, or at least in those streetview pictures, the whole landscaping 'thing' makes it all seem so artificial that there is no connection to what the area and surrounds were actually for, let alone its history. Could be in Milton Keynes or Telford, built last week. It's characterless, soul-less, which begs the question - why bother at all? Only one answer - waterside features push up prices. Few would want to spend fortunes living in a derelict industrial landscape with dead dogs and deep water. Everything changes, either from circumstance or desire.