Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
manxmike

Where have all the Hippies gone?

Featured Posts

Back in the sixties, in the era of peace and love (Vietnam, Korea, Cold War) we had the Hippies. In the 70s they slowly transformed themselves into "Alternative Lifestyle Proponents", during the 70s, 80s and 90s they became "New Age Travellers" and, complete with unlicensed vehicles, old buses etc, they roamed the country despoiling fields, stealing anything that wasn't nailed down and generally living their freestyle life at the expense of the taxpayer.

Some of them discovered the canal system and moved their lifestyle onto the water, again unlicensed, but now afloat they followed the same route as their land-bound fellows. Multiple dogs, children, adults, washing lines, collection of "things" taking over the roof of the boat and the towpath.

Whilst there are still a few on the canals most seem to have disappeared, have they gone back to the land? Have their boats sunk? Have the multiple children grown up, become accountants and lawyers and quietly bought their parent groups a house? Have they moved into Old Folks Homes?

I nearly joined a Hippie group in the late sixties because of a girl, it all fell apart when they said I would have to sell my motorbike and give the money to the group to buy drugs. The girl was sleeping with anyone who would give her an interesting roll-up so I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and moved on!

My question is - where have all the New Age Travellers gone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, manxmike said:

Back in the sixties, in the era of peace and love (Vietnam, Korea, Cold War) we had the Hippies. In the 70s they slowly transformed themselves into "Alternative Lifestyle Proponents", during the 70s, 80s and 90s they became "New Age Travellers" and, complete with unlicensed vehicles, old buses etc, they roamed the country despoiling fields, stealing anything that wasn't nailed down and generally living their freestyle life at the expense of the taxpayer.

Some of them discovered the canal system and moved their lifestyle onto the water, again unlicensed, but now afloat they followed the same route as their land-bound fellows. Multiple dogs, children, adults, washing lines, collection of "things" taking over the roof of the boat and the towpath.

Whilst there are still a few on the canals most seem to have disappeared, have they gone back to the land? Have their boats sunk? Have the multiple children grown up, become accountants and lawyers and quietly bought their parent groups a house? Have they moved into Old Folks Homes?

I nearly joined a Hippie group in the late sixties because of a girl, it all fell apart when they said I would have to sell my motorbike and give the money to the group to buy drugs. The girl was sleeping with anyone who would give her an interesting roll-up so I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and moved on!

My question is - where have all the New Age Travellers gone?

Have met 2 who now live on the Canals...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

A good friend was part of the travelling scene, a good 7 or 8 years living in a bus and now is a contract manager

I have a very good friend who lived on a bus. I always fancied a bus to convert but swmbo will not allow it. ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a student in the late 70s a friend had a poster showing a room full of people, with a banner draped across saying "Woodstock Ten Year Reunion", and all the people in the room were wearing dinner suits or evening dresses and sipping cocktails.

Edited by David Mack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I have a very good friend who lived on a bus. I always fancied a bus to convert but swmbo will not allow it. ☹️

What, like your childhood hero Cliff Richard?

 

Went to see Summer Holiday with my ma and pa Preston. It starts black and white then changes to colour after a few minutes. Top rate technology.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

What, like your childhood hero Cliff Richard?

 

Went to see Summer Holiday with my ma and pa Preston. It starts black and white then changes to colour after a few minutes. Top rate technology.

I fancy an old double decker to convert. My friend lived in a coach but she now lives on a narrowboat and has done for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

My favourite TV show as a kid and have harboured the idea since then!  Ultimately I live on a boat because living on a bus in the UK is impractical and mostly unwelcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Psycloud said:

 

.... living on a bus in the UK is impractical and mostly unwelcome.

Especially an open topped one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But if you're going to live on an open topped bus, London's the best place to do it because (a) it rains a bit less and the sun comes out more, and (b) you can always earn a bit of bread, man, by running tours for tourists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/06/2018 at 10:07, mrsmelly said:

I have a very good friend who lived on a bus. I always fancied a bus to convert but swmbo will not allow it. ☹️

I don't blame her, it's not all its cracked up to be.  The requirement to be outside the Co-op on the high street at 17 minutes past every hour between 7am and 6pm, and then be at the Methodist Church by a quarter to the hour really gets tiring.

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/06/2018 at 12:41, 8 Hairy Feet said:

Hebden Bridge

 

On 14/06/2018 at 13:37, David Mack said:

Not as many as there used to be...

 

There were a lot more yuppies than hippies there last week. 

 

It's not all lost though - the kids on the skate park had some damn good skunk going from the smell drifting over the boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.