Crt funding

roland elsdon

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Detling said:

It would help if the culture of 'why should I pay tax' changed to 'how can I help my society' and everyone contributed as their means allowed. As it stands those who have more money than they can spend in their lifetime want still more and begrudge paying one penny in tax, their clever accountants see to that. Large multinational companies run rings round government tax collectors and pay nowhere. The only money available is collected from the less well off who can't afford an accountant.

I agree that some very high earners and companies avoid paying tax where possible. When I ran my company I also reduced our tax bill where possible. Still payed an awful lot though. There are plenty of lesser paid people who also follow the route of paying as little as is possible. I am glad I retired. It was lovely last April when for the first time in 30 odd years I had no tax to pay. 

22 minutes ago, magictime said:

The average earner in the top 1% earns about £267k, so if they paid tax at the same 20% rate...

... they would be breaking the law. They should be paying at 40%. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to ask a personal question -- I was honestly wondering how anyone can live on a state pension alone, especially if they own a boat.  

Ah. To explain a little im quite a few years from pensionable age. So no pension as yet to pay tax on.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

... they would be breaking the law. They should be paying at 40%. 

Well, at 20%, 40% and 45% on different parts of their income, I think.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make wasn't really about the specifics of the tax system. David Mack had countered Detling's claim about rich people avoiding tax by pointing out that the top 1% of earners pay 25% of tax; and I was pointing out that that doesn't prove anything about the proportion of their income they actually pay in tax (after any avoidance etc.), since even if they only paid 20%, they'd still pay a large proportion of the overall tax take just because their incomes are so high.

35 minutes ago, magictime said:

Well, at 20%, 40% and 45% on different parts of their income, I think.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make wasn't really about the specifics of the tax system. David Mack had countered Detling's claim about rich people avoiding tax by pointing out that the top 1% of earners pay 25% of tax; and I was pointing out that that doesn't prove anything about the proportion of their income they actually pay in tax (after any avoidance etc.), since even if they only paid 20%, they'd still pay a large proportion of the overall tax take just because their incomes are so high.

I infer from your comments that the top 1% should be paying a great deal more than 25% of the total in a functioning society! 

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I infer from your comments that the top 1% should be paying a great deal more than 25% of the total in a functioning society! 

I suppose there is the view that if it wasn't for that 1% - many of the remaining 99% wouldn't be earning, or paying tax.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

No, because to my mind a better-functioning society would be more equal - the bottom 99% taking a higher proportion of national income, and the top 1% a lower proportion. In which case, of course, all else being equal, the bottom 99% would also pay a higher proportion of the total tax take and the top 1% a lower proportion.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, magictime said:

No, because to my mind a better-functioning society would be more equal - the bottom 99% taking a higher proportion of national income, and the top 1% a lower proportion. In which case, of course, all else being equal, the bottom 99% would also pay a higher proportion of the total tax take and the top 1% a lower proportion.

One suggestion I have heard is that no senior executive should be permitted to take more than a certain multiple of the lowest paid employee in remuneration: say ten times, but pick your own figure. That would ensure (1) nobody gets paid an obscene amount of money and (2) even the office cleaner would get a decent wage. 

A multiplier of 1000 is by no means unusual in the UK, and I think that falls into the 'obscene' category.

Edited by Machpoint005

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

University vice ( note vice) chancellors were getting more than the pm. Regardless of your views on the P.M  that sounds a bit wring. Corporate greed is rife in this country.

A mate of mine (now sadly deceased) was a captain on British Airways carrying 300+ passengers at a time on 747s. An acquaintance who was an assistant manager at Sainsbury’s earned more than him.