Lister stw3 overheating?

Featured Posts

On 23/06/2018 at 12:07, tstore said:

4.5cm thick, 44.5cm height and 153cm length

And how warm is the bottom hose from the skin tank back to the engine? If it is warm that will be an indicator that the tank is unable to cool the water sufficiently.

6 minutes ago, tstore said:

Ran 15 hours straight yesterday at 2000-2500 revs didn't go up over 80 degrees. Engine doesn't sound stressed is this particularly high revs. Its a 67 boat so needs some wellie

That is almost flat out

Capture.JPG

Depends how its driven. Do you need something else to worry about? Maybe the alternator has a poor solder joint inside it or ist brushes are wearing out (what does the warning lamp do?. Maybe there is a loose connection on the revcounter whirring. maybe the revcounter has not been properly caliobrated for the engine/alternator. If its a mechanical counter then ignore all this.

2 hours ago, tstore said:

Ran 15 hours straight yesterday at 2000-2500 revs didn't go up over 80 degrees. Engine doesn't sound stressed is this particularly high revs. Its a 67 boat so needs some wellie

If the engine doesn't sound too stressed, then I suspect it is not doing 2500 revs.

I have an ST3 - air cooled version of the STW3 - in a full length ex-working boat, drawing 3 ft, and  while you can boat with the engine screaming, it runs perfectly happily and makes reasonable progress at much lower revs.  How much lower I don't know as I don't have a rev counter.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

If the engine doesn't sound too stressed, then I suspect it is not doing 2500 revs.

I have an ST3 - air cooled version of the STW3 - in a full length ex-working boat, drawing 3 ft, and  while you can boat with the engine screaming, it runs perfectly happily and makes reasonable progress at much lower revs.  How much lower I don't know as I don't have a rev counter.

It might be interesting to know what prop you have fitted, as something similar may be what the OP should be using - and perhaps his prop is part of the problem?

50 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

It might be interesting to know what prop you have fitted, as something similar may be what the OP should be using - and perhaps his prop is part of the problem?

I don't know. Its a bit underpropped, but nothing like as bad as the OP's seems to be.

Just a thought. If the OP could put a quick video with sound on Youtube or some such and posted a link of the engine running at an indicated 2500 rpm out of gear, those who know this engine will be able to tell if that is the real speed by comparison with other boats.  Would only need 20s or so of video.

Jen

1 hour ago, tstore said:

I have a clip cruising but it's too large to attach here, if you can pm perhaps I can send it via email?

Put it on YouTube and post the link here. 

Great news, she didn't sound stressed to me. Guess like the temp gauge the rev counter is faulty too. Previous owner really didn't keep things maintained. Glad all engine worries seem resolved now, it's been a rocky period with overheating problems, diesel bug, then air lock in fuel system, then temp gauge, impeller now all seems resolved. Hoping I can concentrate on other things that need doing now. It's been harsh introduction to owning a narrow boat but I've learnt loads to hopefully be more proactive and prevent problems occuring in the future. I appreciate people taking the time to give me help and advice, great forum!