Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

So I travel all over the place and use my O2 mi fi without fault. It has worked every were I have moored even in the middle of nowhere I have had a good signal unlike the 3 mi fi previously this is mooocho better...............so why oh why when I am moored slap bang in the middle of one of the Uks big cities does it hardly work!!!!!  :banghead:

Maybe all the tall buildings around you or the mass of people using the same service in the vicinity. I find when I go to London I get some of the worse connectivity.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

So I travel all over the place and use my O2 mi fi without fault. It has worked every were I have moored even in the middle of nowhere I have had a good signal unlike the 3 mi fi previously this is mooocho better...............so why oh why when I am moored slap bang in the middle of one of the Uks big cities does it hardly work!!!!!  :banghead:

Interesting to have different experiences with different companies. My mobile phone is with O2 and quite frankly is crap, most of the system I have barely enough signal to send a text if I'm lucky. The 3 Mifi on the other hand has only failed me moored at the back of the industrial estate at Trowbridge, everywhere else in the country (so far) I have connected, either 3G or 4G.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Interesting to have different experiences with different companies. My mobile phone is with O2 and quite frankly is crap, most of the system I have barely enough signal to send a text if I'm lucky. The 3 Mifi on the other hand has only failed me moored at the back of the industrial estate at Trowbridge, everywhere else in the country (so far) I have connected, either 3G or 4G.

Yes and my fone is working fine which is also o2. The mi fi though is dreadful at present on all the gadjets we use it with, very strange indeed. Dont try to use 3 at Lower Heyford its non existant.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Possibly you are moored directly under the transmitter. Transmitters I believe have a blind spot directly below them, compounded by your steel roof getting in the way perhaps.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Possibly you are moored directly under the transmitter. Transmitters I believe have a blind spot directly below them, compounded by your steel roof getting in the way perhaps.

Could be Mike? Its working at present but very iffy. Never mind its a change being in here but you could keep it for a long term mooring.

Just now, carlt said:

Mi Fi WHY!

Delilah! 

That sir is very very sad!!  :D

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes and my fone is working fine which is also o2. The mi fi though is dreadful at present on all the gadjets we use it with, very strange indeed. Dont try to use 3 at Lower Heyford its non existant.

Have you got an external aerial connected to it? Where I am in Stretford, a pretty good signal area fro Three and EE, and where I generally havent needed to connect my aerial. However, it weakens every now and then, so I only see 1 bar on the Mifi - connect the aerial, and it ramps up to 5 bars.

Not surprising on a steel narrowboat, which is seemingly notorious for excluding a whole variety of electronic signals.

50 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Have you got an external aerial connected to it? Where I am in Stretford, a pretty good signal area fro Three and EE, and where I generally havent needed to connect my aerial. However, it weakens every now and then, so I only see 1 bar on the Mifi - connect the aerial, and it ramps up to 5 bars.

Not surprising on a steel narrowboat, which is seemingly notorious for excluding a whole variety of electronic signals.

Hi

No it has no plug hole things for an aerial ☹️ I have zero problems elsewhere though as I have lots of bus windows so signal is always good until these few days here. Never mind I will be on the move again soon.

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Noticed this too, especially when school kids get home it can start slowing down. It's also noticeable when there's an important footie game on that's not on mainstream telly. I'm sure a problem happens when too many people log onto an antenna. 

Try different windows on the boat, we've stuck a strip of those 3m velcro picture hanging thingies on the back of the wifi modem (?) and on different windows - changing windows does make a difference.

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

O2 is sh1t regards coverage. They are well known for it. Along with gift gaff and Tesco mobile who piggy back them.

Try EE. Their website is crap but their coverage more than makes up for it. We get them wherever we go.

Edited by MJG

7 hours ago, MJG said:

Try EE. Their website is crap but their coverage more than makes up for it. We get them wherever we go.

I concur....

8 hours ago, MJG said:

O2 is sh1t regards coverage. They are well known for it. Along with gift gaff and Tesco mobile who piggy back them.

I use Tesco mobile and have no issues getting a signal and 4G. I find Tesco to be the best signal I've had from a range of providers I've used. 

EE has been by far the best for us..

Cannot remember when we last had no connection.

Just renewed our data only SIM deal, and now have 60 G to play with for the price of 30.

Their customer services though, are carp. Store staff on the other hand, more than helpful.

40 minutes ago, johnmck said:

EE has been by far the best for us..

Cannot remember when we last had no connection.

Just renewed our data only SIM deal, and now have 60 G to play with for the price of 30.

Their customer services though, are carp. Store staff on the other hand, more than helpful.

The only criticism of EE I have is that they don't roll over unused monthly data allowance, after-all I believe I've paid for it.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

The only criticism of EE I have is that they don't roll over unused monthly data allowance, after-all I believe I've paid for it.

Yep, It’s bloody frustrating! However I set up a folder of the things I want to download but not urgently and then spend a day at the end of the month using up every last drop if I can. Especially if we’ve been away. 

Tim, maybe you need to take a break from Facebook? ;) 

12 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

2.5 GB to use by midnight for me, so about 2hrs of iplayer tonight. 

I have  a a three mifi that works everywhere I use it (even Spain) so far  -  except Lower Heyford. I also have a Three phone but there is plenty of places on the system I cant get a phone signal.

I know some people consider Vodafone to be a dirty word, but their coveragehas improved enormously in the last couple of years. 

It's not often I don't get a 4G signal, even in the middle of nowhere.   But maybe that is just Cheshire.

33 minutes ago, Wanted said:

Tim, maybe you need to take a break from Facebook? ;) 

:D Naaaah its my Twatter account that uses all the data jobbies ?

Just to concur with those who think O2 is crap. It is! My sister’s iPhone is on 02, rarely seems to have 3G. We were in Tamworth town centre a couple of days ago, it just had gprs. At least with Three you get 3G or nothing. And in fact normally 4G these days (although it doesn’t seem much faster).

It's all the Government's fault for not enforcing mobile mast sharing (not moving mast, but mast for mobile signals...).

So each supplier has its own equipment in its own location.

Consequently if Voda / whoever doesn't see your current location as a good sales opportunity, it doesn't bother to set up a mast. That is why LH is bad - cos NBers don't spend a lot and Mr Smelly has moved on - another volume user gone.....

13 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I use Tesco mobile and have no issues getting a signal and 4G. I find Tesco to be the best signal I've had from a range of providers I've used. 

Tesco use the O2 network.

11 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Just to concur with those who think O2 is crap. It is! My sister’s iPhone is on 02, rarely seems to have 3G. We were in Tamworth town centre a couple of days ago, it just had gprs. At least with Three you get 3G or nothing. And in fact normally 4G these days (although it doesn’t seem much faster).

I agree. I used to use Giffgaff,  high uses the O2 network, but swapped to BT (EE network) when we moved to Tamworth, because my mobile barely worked there.

We've recently moved from Talktalk mobile and broadband to Vodafone, reliable 4g - didn't know Talktalk only piggyback 3g off Vodafone -

£8pm for 3gb data, unlimited calls and texts. Also 76Mbps broadband with a guaranteed 56Mbps minimum.