Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Tim Lewis

Wetherspoons To Stop Selling Champagne And Prosecco

Featured Posts

On 18/06/2018 at 09:28, Machpoint005 said:

No it isn't. There is no secondary fermentation in bottle for Asti. You may be confusing it with Cava, which is made by the same method as Champagne

I bow to your knowledge. I think I just assumed Asti Spumante was made the same way as champagne because i couldn't tell the difference!

Wetherspoons, and other pubs, may have difficulty getting enough British beer soon, due to a shortage of CO2;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44545010

In a nutshell, the article says some producers of CO2 in the UK and elsewhere in northern Europe have closed down their plants for summer maintenance, because it's a by product of fertiliser production and demand for that peaks in winter, so stocks of CO2, needed both for brewing and pumping beer, are running down. It sounds like poor planning to me, as demand is very predictable, in particular it always goes up for a World Cup. England doing well (at least up to the time of writing!), and the warm weather, are probably not helping matters.

25 minutes ago, Peter X said:

stocks of CO2, needed both for brewing and pumping beer

But...but... brewing produces CO2, some of which remains in the beer (if it's proper beer). 

I seem to recall that Tuborg in Denmark some years ago invested in an enormous soft drinks plant just to use the gas they produced from fermentation!

As for using CO2 to pump beer --- AAARRRGGGHHH!

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

As the expression goes, no pressure then?

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

But...but... brewing produces CO2, some of which remains in the beer (if it's proper beer). 

I seem to recall that Tuborg in Denmark some years ago invested in an enormous soft drinks plant just to use the gas they produced from fermentation!

Indeed, the yeast produces CO2 and alcohol as it eats the sugar.

Maybe in trying to summarise the BBC article I should have said CO2 was used rather then needed to make and pump beer. I'm not trying to make any judgement on the wisdom of it. As a non-drinker myself I'm just an interested observer.

It's quite a fascinating thing, this CO2 shortage. We have canalworld, but there are more details on the site the BBC got their info from, gasworld:

https://www.gasworld.com/breaking-news-co2-supply-crisis-hits-europe/2014944.article

As the UK is normally a net importer of CO2, and the best hope for relieving the shortage appears to be that BASF have put a big plant in Ludwigshafen back "on stream", perhaps Wetherspoons should be looking at moving away from CO2 use if they want to buy less from Europe?